EVlink

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakvilleblake

any of you have experience with the EVlink from Schneider Electric? We're considering it for our garage.

It seems to have gotten good reviews from Leaf owners on the Home Depot website (where it retails for $799 in Canada) but one never quite knows how independent that selection of reviews is, right?

Also, the EVlink unit is rated for 30A, which is more than the iMiev can handle. But does it mean that we need to wire 10 gauge to it in case the next homeowner has a Leaf or other electric vehicle that would draw more?

blake

Your choice

You can go either way and be perfectly safe and legal. If you elect to run 12 gauge though, the max breaker size would be 20 amps, but that's more than adequate for the car

Do you plan on selling the house one day?

Don

Hi, EVlink, Running a extra breaker with bigger wire is not much more expensive than running a smaller wire so yep an upgrade to run a bigger charger for the leaf to about 7 Kw wouldn't be much more expensive and would be a selling point for the house for when you sell.

putting it another way, having a personal gas station at home that costs only a 50 cents per day over three years to instal, isn't too bad !. No waiting in queues or tipping the staff, and if you add a self service vending machine for snacks in your garage, you would think you were at the store each time you fill up at home. !.
:D

I have the EVLink from Schneider, works great - no problems whatsoever. Very simple and easy to use but provides no information on your charge session like other and more costly EVSEs. I found information that said I could hook up to a computer but when I contacted Schneider they said the documentation had gotten ahead of the product, the answer is no - no monitoring capability.

The only display is eight leds formed in a ring around the main control buttons. These are used to show the number of hours delayed (if lit counter clockwise) or the number of hours engaged (if lit clockwise). The car starts charging shortly after the handshake between the EVSE and the Charger in the car. Two buttons are available in the center of the ring, one with a hand icon and the other with a clock icon. To delay the charging, push on the Clock Icon once for each hour of delay (no minutes or quarters or anything, just hours). The leds light counterclockwise for each hour. The Hand Icon stops the charging process.

Installation is straightforward. Put the Red and Black wires on the load and the white and the ground on the metal bus bar and you are done. I used a dedicated 50amp circuit with 8 gauge wire that I took from my electric stove outlet. We had the house converted to gas when we bought it and were not using the stove 240v outlet. For me, it was a straight shot from the kitchen to the garage. Some conduit and the 8 gauge wire and out to the garage door. This unit is for inside only, don't plan on using it for outside.

This unit is for inside only, don't plan on using it for outside.

Yes - We have ours just inside the garage door and have a long enough cable for the connector, to reach out in front of the garage to charge the car when it is parked outside, with the garage door closed.

Back