OEM parts

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logandzwon

Anyone know the price for another charger from Mitsubishi?

I can't seem to find any online OEM parts sites that have I-Miev parts. Have you found any?

I can't say I've seen any OEM Mitsubishi chargers around. In fact right now, in my opinion, I think the entire EVSE market is very tight. It's like when VCRs first came out they were $750 and by the end, you could buy one for $69.

For a Level 1 charger, you will pay darn near what you would pay for a Level 2 from somewhere like Home Deport or Menards. I'm planning to wait.

My dealership quoted me $1,305 for another one. Lol

I'm planning on going evseupgrade, but I'm trying to figure a way to not be without power for two weeks.

Logandzwon said:
I'm planning on going evseupgrade, but I'm trying to figure a way to not be without power for two weeks.

I believe evseupgrade has a deal where he will send you an upgraded unit before you send yours out to him.

Wee John said:
Logandzwon said:

I believe evseupgrade has a deal where he will send you an upgraded unit before you send yours out to him.
Nope - He only does that for Leaf EVSE's. They sell those new, but he doesn't have a source for the Mitsu chargers at a reasonable price, so since he doesn't have any, he can't offer the exchange program like they do for Leaf chargers

If someone really wants another OEM EVSE, they would be much better off buying the Leaf unit than another Mistsu unit. The Leaf charger comes with a 12 gauge pigtail and a 14 gauge cord and they are rated at 12 amps. The Mitsu unit has a 14 gauge pigtail, a 16 gauge cord and only output 8 amps. I'm not sure about the factory price, but EVSE Upgrade sells the Leaf unit with their $249 upgrade (to 240 volt, 16 amps) already installed for $969, so they must buy them for around $700 I would guess

Check with a Nissan dealer and see what price they can quote you

FWIW, if I was getting the upgrade again, I would specify that I wanted mine upgraded to 10 amps 120/240 as opposed to the 13 amp upgrade. The Mitsu cord is 16 gauge and it runs quite warm when supplying 13 amps. They offered to recalibrate my upgraded unit to 10 amps for me for a $25 fee and I think I'll do that . . . . as soon as I get to where I can be without it for another 2 weeks

Don

Don said:
FWIW, if I was getting the upgrade again, I would specify that I wanted mine upgraded to 10 amps 120/240 as opposed to the 13 amp upgrade. The Mitsu cord is 16 gauge and it runs quite warm when supplying 13 amps. They offered to recalibrate my upgraded unit to 10 amps for me for a $25 fee and I think I'll do that . . . . as soon as I get to where I can be without it for another 2 weeks

Don

Don,

Any idea if they can upgrade the cord instead of downgrading the amps?

Jenn

I don't know if EVSE upgrade does can offer it, but the price of a new cord alone is about $250...

An SPX Power Xpress is $950... and then you have a backup cable.

Amazon.com has the LeGrand level 1 (120V) charger at $553.88 including shipping. This also will improve your charge rate by 50% as this EVSE is rated at 12 amps versus 8 amps for the Mitsubishi unit. This EVSE is in stock at Amazon.

If you want a level 2 EVSE homedepot.com has two units available for $749 and $799. Both being 240V units your charge time would be decreased significantly.

I checked Ebay and there are no EVSEs listed at this time. There are other i-MiEV OEM parts listed (11) right now on ebay.

archie_b said:
Amazon.com has the LeGrand level 1 (120V) charger at $553.88 including shipping. This also will improve your charge rate by 50% as this EVSE is rated at 12 amps versus 8 amps for the Mitsubishi unit. This EVSE is in stock at Amazon.
It's a little less than a 50% upgrade, as it doen't really deliver 12 amps

I bought one and it outputs 915 watts @ 7.6 amps in the 8A mode and 1400 watts @ 11.7 amps in the 12A mode. It also comes with all 16 gauge, made in China wiring from the plug to the car and the cord runs awfully warm in the 12A mode, pulling 11.7 amps for an extended time. I contactd Legrand about it and they sent me another one . . . . same thing. I returned the one I bought at Home Depot for a refund and the other one is waiting to be picked up so it can go back to Legrand. It also doesn't come with any way to hang it - They put a molded 90 degree plug on it which makes it look like they intend for you to just hang it from the outlet :shock:

If you really want a good 12 amp Level 1 charger, I would pay the extra $150 or whatever it is and buy a Leaf one which is a Panasonic unit made in Japan. Opinions may vary, but that's mine ;)

Don

Clipper Creek has many chargers to choose from. They have the Level 1 12A as well as a Level 2 (240V, 20A max) charger. I bought the Level 2 for $595. I installed it in our garage so the cord would reach to the outside wall and to the center of the garage. I made a pass through complete with matching vinyl siding pieces so we can charge from inside or outside. I think the Level 1 charger is only slightly cheaper but they claim it reduces the iMiev charge time to 10-11 hours. They quote 5 to 5 1/2 hours for the Level 2 charger. This estimate is correct, at least with my <1000 mile iMiev it has never taken 6 hours to fully charge (even from a 'turtle flashing' trip home the first week of ownership). I am considering getting the Level 1 charger and selling the one that came with the car. I may wait a while to be sure the Clipper Creek Level 2 charger is of good, lasting quality. All the chargers they have seem come with only one year warrantees.

Since you have a good, reliable method of home charging using your indoor/outdoor Clipper Creek EVSE, why not have the OEM Panasonic EVSE upgraded to L1/L2 @ 12 amps to use as a portable 'take along' EVSE for use when you're away from home? - With the proper adapter(s) in an emergency you could recharge from just about any outlet you find

Don

iamhowe said:
I am considering getting the Level 1 charger and selling the one that came with the car.
It might cost less to send it to EVSE Upgrade than it would to sell it and buy a new Level 1 charger. EVSE Upgrade would modify it so you would have a variable current (12 amps max) Level 1 and Level 2 charger all in a single portable device.

Back