Charging the iMiEV with a back up Inverter generator.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iMiEVNZ7

Hi,
We noted the point made about the standard lead with RCD not allowing use of a Honda 2000i inverter generator due to no ground so asked the Kipor importers here in NZ about it.

They said that the Earth pin is grounded to the Chassis or frame of the Generator, so for a RCD to provide protection, the Generator Earth or ground also needs to be linked to earth via a suitably rated grounding wire attached to the Earth or ground tag on the generator.

So if we make up a suitably sized wire, usually at least twice the size of a phase or hot wire, and a attach this firmly to the earth tag or ground tag, and the other end to a metal peg, say copper, with for ease of use, a plastic handle on it, it would mean when charging on the side of the road in the countryside, where the side of the road is soft grassy ground, we could earth the generator and the iMIEV lead would be happy.

But how would this work for say tarseal or pavment ?. Would we need to find a garden and if so would it protect if we were on the pavement . Would the RCD still sense the earth pin connection to the generator and work if no peg in the ground ? If so would it still protect if someone cut the cord or it was damaged ?.

As far as I remember, I think the RCD works by comparing the two wires, phase and neutral and looks for an imbalance, and if found, shuts off the power. This would technically mean a two corded lead, without a Earth wold work, but I am not sure. For instance, we use a RCD on a radio with only to wires in the cord and two prongs on the plug, as the radio is double insulated and it works so technically, the imiev charger should work with a two wire non grounded lead too ?.

I must say before someone mentions it, we are buying the electric car to avoid petrol use, but still need to be able to charge where there are no chargeing point available here.Only two commercial charge points in the whole of NZ, not counting the millions of 240 volt 10 amp sockets, grin. 15 Amp mentioned as required, though.

Still really keen to get a iMiEv and often think while driving the hilux, how sitting in traffic would be easier in an electric car, then I notice the heater is so great on the hilux and thinking about it, it is rare for the heater to ever to be off. Then again, we are only doing 10 km trips most days ! Sometimes three 10 trips per day, but still with in range even with the heater on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back