Level 1 EVSE

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Does anybody know what Mitsu gets for these? Any good on-line sources? I'd really like to have a second one

Don

If you really want a small portable one like this, get one for the Nissan Leaf (also made by Panasonic, just like the iMiEVs). It's good for 12A vs only the 8A for ours. Sorry, I don't know what the present prices are.
You might also check with evseupgrade.com to see if they sell outright instead of just modifying yours.
I bought an SPX Power Xpress (before I realized evseupgrade.com does Mitsu) which has a number of different current settings and works off both 120vac and 240vac, but it was around $1000

Yes, I've investigated both the Leaf Panasonic unit and the SPX - I like that the SPX is current adjustable . . . . charging on 240 at 6 or 8 amps sounds like a really good option

I plan to get my factory charger upgraded - Likely both of them if I can find another. I was just hoping a factory Mitsu unit could be had for $500 or so. The Leaf units used to be a relative bargain, but once the demand went up, so did the prices

It's a relatively simple technology - They're ALL overpriced in my book, but then when you're selling anything like this which you have no control over what the end user will try to do with it, I suppose you have to take steps to make it as foolproof as possible

Don

Like VCRs, flat screen TVs, and smartphones...the early adopters are going to pay. It's going to be at least a year before the prices of EVSEs come down. They haven't appeared on eBay yet...not that I would buy one from them. When they start appearing there, the prices will go down.

Amazon.com has a Pass & Seymour L1EVSE 120 volt portable charger for $550.50 which includes free shipping. This is a dual rate charger at either 8 amps (OEM i charger) or 12 amps. Best price I have found for a 120 volt charger. You can also contact Home Depot, a store not online, and ask about special ordering. They sell the L2EVSE16 220 volt charger and should be able to special order the 120 volt model. Price could be lower as they stocked this earlier this year at $495, but the price could have gone up. Home depot runs 10% off sales periodically which would make this a real good unit.

Don, the SPX only has gradations of 12A, 16A, 24A, and 32A - the last two settings unusable by the present iMiEV - on either 120vac or 240vac. Agree with you about the pricing for a box with a connector/cable and negligible circuitry. At least they could all build in power/energy meters.

archie_b, thanks for identifying the Pass&Seymour 120vac unit, as I didn't realize they had one.

I've been checking, and the prices seem outrageous right now. (I guess the car wasn't exactly cheap either). I'd like to send my charger for the upgrade, but I feel I need another charger first. Oh well, I'm managing with the OEM unit right now. I only need to charge every two or three days anyway.

archie_b said:
Amazon.com has a Pass & Seymour L1EVSE 120 volt portable charger for $550.50 which includes free shipping. This is a dual rate charger at either 8 amps (OEM i charger) or 12 amps. Best price I have found for a 120 volt charger. You can also contact Home Depot, a store not online, and ask about special ordering. They sell the L2EVSE16 220 volt charger and should be able to special order the 120 volt model. Price could be lower as they stocked this earlier this year at $495, but the price could have gone up. Home depot runs 10% off sales periodically which would make this a real good unit.
Thanks Archie

I like the idea of having something like the Pass & Seymour unit as my everyday charger in the garage - Like fjpod we only charge every 2nd or 3rd day and a 12 amp Level 1 unit would be all we'd need. I want to send the stock one off to upgrade it so we can carry it in the car to use for opportunity charging on longer trips. I'll definitely check with both of our Home Depot stores too - Since we're retired military, we get 10% off everything, everyday at both Lowes and Home Depot

Thanks for the particulars on the SPX unit Joe - It sounds like way more than we'd need

I agree with everyone - The longer we wait, the better deals we'll find as more manufacturers get into the game, prices will surely come down

Don

archie_b said:
Archie,

My Home Depot got me a price of $546 to special order this charger and with my 10% discount and 7% MS sales tax, it came to $525. Should be here in about a week and then we'll ship our stock unit off to EVSE Upgrade to get it modified for 120/240 at 12 or 13 amps

Thanks again for the suggestion

Don

I got an SPX for $850 last year before they raised their prices, and have just exercised the warranty. The case is designed with a thick plastic lip surrounding the reset button, indicator lights and trim pot, so if you're using it out in the wild and leave it sitting on it's back, a good centimeter of rainwater will collect on top of those buttons! The trim pot comes with a plastic snap-on cover that must be sealed with silicone, which means the adjustment is not meant for regular use.... What I like about the SPX is its universal input (120/240 requires only a pigtail adaptor) and portability. However, it sure could use better waterproofing.

i'm finding some EVSE units are out of stock. Good thing I'm not in a hurry. I'm using the OEM 120 volt unit.

At the same time, I am working on getting 220Volts out to my garage. I used to be an electrician. I have a one inch underground pipe going out there, gotta be at least 50 years old, but it is perfectly intact. It currently has 12-3 in it. Going to pull in 10-3.

Do most 220 volt EVSEs connect with three wires and a metallic ground, or a fourth wire for a ground? In NYC, all circuits have metallic ground. It's been a few years since I kept up with the code.

I believe most all of them just use 3 wires - Two hot wires and a ground. My upgraded OEM charger came back with a 3 prong L6-20P connector on it and there are still only 3 wires in it's pigtail and it now does both Level 1 and Level 2

Unless your run of wire is really long (more than 100 feet or so) your existing 12/3 should be fine for a Level 2 charger - At least for one rated to handle this car. It's only going to pull about 15 amps and the 12 gauge wire is rated for at least 20. I ran a dedicated circuit (sort of ;) ) for my level 2 charging and I used 12/3 going to a double 20 breaker

BTW - I bought the Level 1 Legrande/Pass & Seymour unit from Home Depot and I'm not real thrilled with it. It has only 16 gauge wire from thr plug all the way to the car and it runs awfully warm. I contacted them and they are sending me another one that they tested on a Volt which they say runs cool, but if it still has 16 gauge wire, it's going back. They also failed to design in any method of supporting the weight of the box and the cable. Instead, they put a 90 degree 120 volt plug on it so it just hangs from the outlet - Not good

The Legrande unit is made by Lear, the same company which supplied all of the Level 1 chargers issued with the early Chevy Volts and they also came with all 16 gauge wire. GM is now replacing all of those units for Volt owners with new ones which have 14 gauge wire and a more industrial plug, after hundreds of complaints on the Volt forums from owners who said their chargers were running hot. GM at first tried blaming the situation on the house wiring, but it's pretty obvious now that it was the 16 gauge wire running warm all along

http://www.torquenews.com/1075/gm-replacing-chevy-volt-120-volt-chargers-customer-satisfaction

Don

Yeah, I figured 12-3 would be ok, but I got this burst of energy to put in the 10s to future-proof myself up to 30 amps. but by the time I buy my next electric car, we'll probably need a 50 amp circuit...like the Tesla, I heard.

Back