Converting 110V charger to 220v

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HRM

Move to folder

Message history - Re: Hi, new user, not sure how/where to post topic
admin
Message subject: Re: Hi, new user, not sure how/where to post topicFolder: Inbox
Hi, welcome to the forum!

It doesn't matter too much where you post it - if it's in the wrong section, one of the moderators will simply move it.

I'd recommend one of these sections:

General / Main Owners Forum: viewforum.php?f=9

Or perhaps even the Charging Stations section: viewforum.php?f=24

Hope that helps!
Mike
Sent: Tue May 24, 2016 7:52 pm
View message Reply with quote Reply to message

HRM
Message subject: Hi, new user, not sure how/where to post topicFolder: Sent messages
Hi,

I wanted to post the following but not sure how/where (what group) to post to.

Please advise. Thanks,

=========
Hi all,

Just joined the forum and proud owner of a 2010 iMiev SE.

A sticker on the back of Mitsubishi iMiev charger says the following:

Input Voltage: (Unit Automatically Adjusts)
100-140V - 16A (typically 12A/1.44kW)
200-250V - 24A (typically 20A/4.8KW)
AC only 50/60HZ - Use on dedicated circuit

Here is how the charger gets connected to 110v household power:

charger has L6-20P connector -> L6-30R 12" cable to 110v household plug

I wanted to ask if I could replace the 12" cable (that has 110v household plug on one end and L6-30R on the other end) with a cable that has L6-30R and 220V L14-30P (220v dryer plug). Can I hope that the charger won't blow up?

Thanks,

If the unit has a "tag" on the back that says the unit "automatically adjusts", you may already have a unit that has been converted. I never saw a tag like that on the stock Mitsubishi EVSE. However, and I don't have a evseupgrade EVSE in front of me, I believe they are marked with that information. What kind of connector is on the EVSE? What you describe as the end on the EVSE sounds like the adapter connector that evseupgrade supplies when they modify the unit. You plug another short cable into the L6-20 with whatever kind of plug you need on the end to connect to the wall receptacle you are using. I think you have an upgraded unit but to be sure you could e-mail evseupgrade and provide them information about the unit (possibly a serial number) and they could confirm what you have. A 2010 I-MiEV? What country are you in?

Hi all,
Just wanted to update that I was successfully able to make it work on 220V. As mentioned earlier, I unplugged the short cable and replaced it with a cable that has NEMA L14-30P on one end and L6-30R on the other.

As a test, initially I did not connect the car with the charger. I turned the power on, and viola green light lit up on the charger. Then I connected my imiev with the charger and nothing blew up.

I also noticed that on average it is now charging 3 bars per hour (I started charging with 6 bars on display and three and a half hours later, it was fully charged).

Thank you all for your advice.

Hi siai47,
Sorry, it is a 2012 Se. It came with the charger, and I live in USA.
Thanks again,

It's not actually a 'charger' - The charger is built into the car. The box in question is the EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) which is just the cord that supplies AC power to the charger in the car
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/01/what-is-evse-its-electric-vehicle-supply-equipment-and-heres/

Sounds like your EVSE has already been 'upgraded' by the good folks at http://www.evseupgrade.com - That's a $300 'bonus' you didn't know you were getting when you bought the car!!

Don

Back