Can the charging station be outside?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerHalifax

Hello,
I am considering buying an iMiev in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We keep our cars outside, next to a workshop that has its own power. Is it possible to place the Level 2 charging station on an outside wall ( we are talking Canadian winter!) or must it be inside? If the car must be charged in a garage, we are out of luck for purchasing an electric car. Thanks for your replies.

Mine is outside--granted dixie is not cold but we get lots of rain. i made a plastic sunscreen/watershield to protect the touch screen from the weather. My Blink station has worked fine except when a mantis crawled up inside and shorted the mains.

Maybe you can make some sort of cabinet to put it in and provide additional weather protection.

Hello Roger, most if not all EVSE manufactures makes units that can be installed outside.

We bought a Leviton charger which is installed outdoors when we got our new 2016 iMiEV, and it takes the rain and snow without fuss.

Our Leviton model has a solid metal casing with full weather sealing.

Regards,
Brian

I just have my EVbox hanging outside in rain, it has not frozen or snowed yet, although that might still change.

I'm not using the J1772 plug cradle on the chargepoint itself, I 3D printed a smaller angled dummy plug so that it protrudes less from the wall. Since my driveway isn't too wide this helps a bit with parking.
20150922_172650.jpg

Roger, I've had no problems charging outside in the rain and sleet and snow for over 4 years now. Careful installation matters as much as having a weatherproof EVSE. One local EVSE failed recently because condensation inside the wiring conduit flowed down through the long run into the EVSE, gradually filling it up with water, though corrosion was what finally caused the failure. Make sure that liquid cannot flow through conduit into your EVSE box by routing the conduit from below, or from the side plus a junction box with weep holes, etc. etc..

I just figured I'd add for Canadians, evandmore.com not only has external chargers like the EVDUTY-40, they even have external outlets for the chargers. Amazon.ca also has some of the external outlets I think.
The EVDUTY-40 are rated to -40 C, so you should have no problems with the cold.

Back