PV1
Site Moderator

Confirmed - Eaton pulling out of commercial EVSE

Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:05 pm

I heard a rumor at the NDEW even on Saturday that Eaton was getting out of charging stations.

I was just digging around on their website and could no longer find the pages for their commercial level 2 or quick charger units. They do still have a residential level 2 unit on the site, as well as a pedestal with outlets for level 1 charging.

I wonder what this means for future support of existing equipment if it's true. There are a lot of Eaton units in my area.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

SyCo

Re: Unconfirmed - Eaton pulling out of commercial EVSE

Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:21 pm

PV1 wrote:I wonder what this means for future support of existing equipment if it's true. There are a lot of Eaton units in my area.

Well, if the company by itself is not going to close, I think we will be fine to have our unit serviced if needed ;)

PV1
Site Moderator

Re: Confirmed - Eaton pulling out of commercial EVSE

Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:41 am

Just confirmed it with my work's Eaton rep. They are no longer producing charging stations. They will continue support as best they can.

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

PV1
Site Moderator

Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:31 pm

Not really. I guess there are so many companies making charging stations, they couldn't compete. More than likely, the infrastructure build-out in my area is done, so the business isn't there to justify continued manufacturing. Like many companies around here, they're probably going after oil and gas :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .

Thanks.

wmcbrine

Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:07 am

PV1 wrote:Like many companies around here, they're probably going after oil and gas :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .

AFAICT, Eaton's main business is electrical equipment of all kinds. They make boxes, outlets, etc. EVSEs seem like they'd fit into that, but I guess it didn't work out for them, for whatever reason.

PV1
Site Moderator

Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:28 am

I know. My workplace is an electrical contractor, and we use a lot of Eaton electrical products. Except for a firmware issue (that's been fixed for a while) with the 6.6 kW Nissan LEAFs, their EVSE and quick chargers work really well.

I forgot to ask the rep yesterday what this will mean for public charging at their Experience Center in Cranberry. A lot of drivers depend on those units. It won't be a killer for it to disappear, but that will put me at one of two dealers with Signet chargers.

Electrical isn't all they do, though. They make superchargers (not those Superchargers :lol: :mrgreen: ), powertrain, hydraulic equipment, aviation equipment, and more.

Update: Apparently that's how Eaton works. They'll hit a market with products, then quit making them a few years later.

Thanks.

Return to “EVSE (Charging Stations)”