Cord management

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcbrine

I looked at this:

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/J1772-EVSE-Cord-Cable-Holder-Dock-Hanger-for-EV-Charging-Station-EV-Charger-/181551004903

and I thought, "That's a garden hose holder with a sticker on it." So instead, I bought this:

649398526152.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?productId=3823845

It works fine.

...and if you coil it right, the handle nicely rests on top of the cable. I've positioned mine about 3' from the car's inlet, so just need to undo one loop and connect in a couple of seconds, keeping the cable nice and clean and off the ground.

I need to find something that will hold the brick on my EVSE that came with the car.
So when I use it at work, it will hold up the brick heavy part and not pull on the cord plug into the wall socket. Then I could also loop it on there as well.

tigger19687 said:
I need to find something that will hold the brick...
The Mitsu EVSE comes with ears at each end, as well as a cord for creating a loop to hang the thing up. Trouble is, those ears have very small holes with flanges right next to them so if you want to 'permanently' screw down the EVSE it will only take, e.g., a #6 pan head screw. I've mounted one of my Mitsu EVSEs on a 1x6 wooden board with a hose hanger (on topic :D ) right next to it for the cable, together with a mechanical 6-hr timer (Intermatic FF46H, which disconnects both poles) - all strapped to a small stepladder - and can plug this transportable setup into either 240vac or 120vac. If you're routinely plugging into a flush wall outlet, you might consider taking off the outlet cover plate and adding a hook or even a cord secured by the lower outlet mounting screw and then replace the cover plate - and then you could hang the EVSE. Functional as a strain relief, but I don't know about the legality of doing this... :roll:

tigger19687 said:
I need to find something that will hold the brick on my EVSE that came with the car.
The OEM Panasonic brick has 6 pretty deep holes on the backside - The screws which hold it together are at the bottom of the holes

My brick has been hanging on a plywood board in the garage by a pair of sheetrock screws spaced so they line up with the top pair of holes in the brick. Leave the heads of the screws sticking out of the board 1 1/4 inches or so and stick the brick over them. The holes in the brick are a bit tapered and they will grab the heads of the screws. *If* you have the cords managed so there's nothing pulling on the brick, it will stay there . . . . mine hasn't budged in 3 years, but it's easily removable if you need to take it with you. Maybe a screw eye above and below the brick so you can tie the cords with a loop of twine?

Note - If you've had the EVSE Upgrade done on your unit, they fill those holes with a goo of some kind which you'll need to clean out of the top pair if you want to hang it in this manner

Don

For my upgraded cord, I have an L6-20 outlet mounted pointing down, which is enough to hold the brick on its own, but I have a piece of wood with two nails that I hang the brick on. The nail heads have been cut off, so they fit through two of the grommets on the brick. From there, my cord runs straight down to the floor and out underneath the garage door. The J1772 connector lives in an old hot tub breaker box with a slot cut in the bottom for the cord. This keeps the connector out of the weather when not plugged in, even though it is outside (the brick hangs inside the garage). I can charge the car inside or outside without moving the brick. Not ideal, especially with the cord laying on the ground, but it works for our layout.

Thanks for the suggestions. Because this is at my work garage, I will have to see about hanging some string from the box and "clip" it to the EVSE.

If the plug fits snug into the outlet and there isn't a lot of cord hanging to reach the ground, what you might be able to do is attach a string to the box, loop it, and use the string loop to hang the box from the plug itself. If you place the string close to the outlet on the plug, that will reduce the pressure on the pins and make it less likely to come unplugged. Essentially, it'll make it like the plug on the cord is a 90 degree connector like you see on washing machines.

Or, if you know how to wire a plug onto a cord, you could swap out the existing Leviton plug for one of these. The orientation of the pins can be changed to match the outlet you are plugging into. These 90 degree connectors are better suited for hanging loads than straight plugs.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5266-CA-Industrial-Grounding-Black-White/dp/B001V9LBSY

I had a leftover small round bungee cord that I put over the outlet, keyring through the brick hole. Then a climbers clip to connect the 2.

Works very well.
Have a pic and will have to post it later........ if I remember.

The Smart car across from me (my other ER doc) said he just wedges his brick through the plastic tubes near it. HE said that works great on the other plug.

Back