Vampires

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcbrine

I had almost decided on the Blink HQ -- the $100 Blink network credit makes it a better deal than most EVSEs -- but then I read that it had a huge vampire draw (i.e. the current it draws while inactive), of around 15 watts. I wonder if we can find this info for other models? I know at least one model (I forget which) has an "off" switch to prevent this completely. Of course, you can always unplug it, if it's not hardwired...

Personally, I'd avoid Blink units, as they seem to have a higher downtime than other units (Blink's on the blink? :lol: ).

The EVSEUpgraded Mitsubishi cord seems to have the least amount of vampire draw. Mine hovers at a watt or less. I believe the stock cord is around 5 watts.

15 watts is rather high, racking up 2.5 kWh per week, though I could only imagine what the newest ChargePoint units use keeping the screen, RFID reader, and internet connection live all the time.

I guess a TED would be the best tool to measure vampire draw of 240 volt charging stations, while the Kill a Watt easily does 120 volt stuff.

Checked the Siemens Versa Charge unit (L2 up to 30 amps out). In powered standby it draws a respectably low 2.1 - 2.2 watts

The stock unit that came with the 2014 i Miev (switchable L1 either 8 amps or 12 amps) in powered standby about 1.9 watts

Aerowhatt

Back