PV1
Site Moderator
Posts: 2873
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:22 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact: Website

Re: Portable CHAdeMO

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:23 pm

Cool!

That's actually cheaper than what I could build mine for. My spec was over $4,000 and that didn't even include the chargers.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

obrother
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:13 pm
Location: GTA Ontario, Canada

Re: Portable CHAdeMO

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:29 pm

The charger is Chinese ... here is a thread from the nissan leaf forum

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=22532

phb10186
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:58 am
Location: North London suburbs, UK

Re: Portable CHAdeMO

Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:51 am

These things look heavy, large and of questionable quality.

Would be good to see them in an ABS case or other impact resistant packaging. But I think that for the price they are now, its exorbitant.

I can see a very good use for a Solar/ Powerwall CHAdeMO setup - portable or otherwise - but I guess that would be single phase, so take about an hour and a half - which would be a big improvement on the limits of AC.
2012 I-MIEV Keiko Silver 11K
2010 Insight ES-T 43K
2001 Accord Type-V (F23 manual)
2009 Hornet CB600F
2008 SH300

mdbuilder
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:05 am
Location: Great Mills, Md.

Re: Portable CHAdeMO

Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:42 am

It takes some beefy components for the power levels, it's never gonna be the weight of your cell phone charger ;). If something fails at 10Kw+ I'd want it in a metal box rather than a plastic one.

Speaking of which, what look tells you it is poor quality? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but it seems a few comment based on the fact that it is made in China and all of a sudden it 'looks like the quality is questionable'. Most everything is made in China these days, I'd bet if you pried open you EVSE even if it is 'made' in the US or Japan 1/2 or more of the components come from China. The I-phone is made in China yet Apple manages to be the most profitable company on the planet, low quality?
2015 Nissan NV200
2012 I-Miev SE Premium
2009 Mazda 5
2017 Toyota Prius Prime

jray3
Posts: 1369
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:05 am
Location: Tacoma area, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Portable CHAdeMO

Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:56 am

I'm glad to see one finally offered, but after skimming the LEAF forum thread- if Tony Williams tested it and says it is junk, that's all I need to read. I keep pushing on Rich Rudman of Manzanita Micro to offer a CHAdeMO charger, but he's having enough trouble making his chargers compatible with third-party J1772 EVSE.
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 76,000 miles
i-ES traded at 21,648 miles
2000 Honda Odyssey
1987 F250 Diesel
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

phb10186
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:58 am
Location: North London suburbs, UK

Re: Portable CHAdeMO

Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:46 pm

mdbuilder wrote:It takes some beefy components for the power levels, it's never gonna be the weight of your cell phone charger ;). If something fails at 10Kw+ I'd want it in a metal box rather than a plastic one.

Speaking of which, what look tells you it is poor quality? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but it seems a few comment based on the fact that it is made in China and all of a sudden it 'looks like the quality is questionable'. Most everything is made in China these days, I'd bet if you pried open you EVSE even if it is 'made' in the US or Japan 1/2 or more of the components come from China. The I-phone is made in China yet Apple manages to be the most profitable company on the planet, low quality?


I didnt say poor quality, I said questionable quality. When I see something that bulky by design, I wonder if the designer thought about how it would be used... I do think these things need to be rugged and knock proof.
2012 I-MIEV Keiko Silver 11K
2010 Insight ES-T 43K
2001 Accord Type-V (F23 manual)
2009 Hornet CB600F
2008 SH300

johnr
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:21 pm
Location: central Cali

Re: Portable CHAdeMO

Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:37 pm

I've used it several times so far, in my experience it seems quite reliable actually. One time it was 105 degrees but it didn't seem to be affected by the temperature. It is kind of heavy (about 50 lbs) but what do you expect. With the carrying handle it's not too bad. It is a metal case, feels durable. I hope it lasts long, time will tell. At least it's from a US store, in case there's any problem they take care of the warranty. I got the J1772 adapter from TucsonEV and connected a 14-50 receptacle to it. The price is a bit high for the charger, but it sure makes it a lot easier when traveling on long trips where there's no quick chargers.

obrother
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:13 pm
Location: GTA Ontario, Canada

Re: Portable CHAdeMO

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:34 am

johnr wrote:I've used it several times so far, in my experience it seems quite reliable actually. One time it was 105 degrees but it didn't seem to be affected by the temperature. It is kind of heavy (about 50 lbs) but what do you expect. With the carrying handle it's not too bad. It is a metal case, feels durable. I hope it lasts long, time will tell. At least it's from a US store, in case there's any problem they take care of the warranty. I got the J1772 adapter from TucsonEV and connected a 14-50 receptacle to it. The price is a bit high for the charger, but it sure makes it a lot easier when traveling on long trips where there's no quick chargers.



johnr... are you tracking the capacity of the traction battery for signs of damage by the portable chademo? Yes time only tell how long the charger will last...but my main concern would be damage to the battery. Here is a link that talks about the effects of EMF and ripple on EV batteries.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 191630808X

mdbuilder
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:05 am
Location: Great Mills, Md.

Re: Portable CHAdeMO

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:59 am

Interesting paper.

Is there some reason in particular you are focusing this issue on this portable charger? There is ac ripple inherent in every subsystem of every EV unless you go back to the early 1900's system of switched resistors and dc motors for speed control.

inverters, dc-dc converters, any charger (ac or dc!) where the source voltage is less than the battery to be charged, ALL have ac ripple.

obrother wrote:
johnr wrote:I've used it several times so far, in my experience it seems quite reliable actually. One time it was 105 degrees but it didn't seem to be affected by the temperature. It is kind of heavy (about 50 lbs) but what do you expect. With the carrying handle it's not too bad. It is a metal case, feels durable. I hope it lasts long, time will tell. At least it's from a US store, in case there's any problem they take care of the warranty. I got the J1772 adapter from TucsonEV and connected a 14-50 receptacle to it. The price is a bit high for the charger, but it sure makes it a lot easier when traveling on long trips where there's no quick chargers.



johnr... are you tracking the capacity of the traction battery for signs of damage by the portable chademo? Yes time only tell how long the charger will last...but my main concern would be damage to the battery. Here is a link that talks about the effects of EMF and ripple on EV batteries.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 191630808X
2015 Nissan NV200
2012 I-Miev SE Premium
2009 Mazda 5
2017 Toyota Prius Prime

obrother
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:13 pm
Location: GTA Ontario, Canada

Re: Portable CHAdeMO

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:26 pm

mdbuilder wrote:Interesting paper.

Is there some reason in particular you are focusing this issue on this portable charger? There is ac ripple inherent in every subsystem of every EV unless you go back to the early 1900's system of switched resistors and dc motors for speed control.

inverters, dc-dc converters, any charger (ac or dc!) where the source voltage is less than the battery to be charged, ALL have ac ripple.

obrother wrote:
johnr wrote:I've used it several times so far, in my experience it seems quite reliable actually. One time it was 105 degrees but it didn't seem to be affected by the temperature. It is kind of heavy (about 50 lbs) but what do you expect. With the carrying handle it's not too bad. It is a metal case, feels durable. I hope it lasts long, time will tell. At least it's from a US store, in case there's any problem they take care of the warranty. I got the J1772 adapter from TucsonEV and connected a 14-50 receptacle to it. The price is a bit high for the charger, but it sure makes it a lot easier when traveling on long trips where there's no quick chargers.



johnr... are you tracking the capacity of the traction battery for signs of damage by the portable chademo? Yes time only tell how long the charger will last...but my main concern would be damage to the battery. Here is a link that talks about the effects of EMF and ripple on EV batteries.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 191630808X


Since this is the charger talked about in this thread this tread is what is focusing on this portable chademo charger. The traction battery in the imiev is not inexpensive to replace. Any charger looked at that does not use the onboard charger, which I think is reasonable to conclude is not excessively damaging, should be examined more closely for any possible negative impact. Would you like to inject some other portable chademo charger to change the focus of this thread? Please do ... go ahead.... Portable Chademo IS in the title of the tread...

Return to “EVSE (Charging Stations)”