PV1
Site Moderator

Re: CHAdeMO Questions

Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:02 am

KiEV, did you ever figure out the problem with quick charging? I did some research and I agree that the polarity seems correct. It also doesn't seem that there is a short (you'd have known as soon as the contractors closed). I wonder what the issue could be.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

kiev

Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:06 pm

Never did Tim, i'm still interested to figure it out but sidetracked by other projects right now.

Go Pens--it's 3rd period of stanley cup game 6 and they are up by a goal...fingers crossed.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

Lic

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:07 pm

Interesting article about chademo on our cars
http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/rec ... 159633.pdf

Phximiev

Re: Portable CHAdeMO

Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:18 pm

Anyone see the negative i-Miev comment posted on the Nissan Facebook channel by Aaron Castro? Or know her?

https://www.facebook.com/NissanElectric/?ref=ts&fref=

I've never heard of the Chademo charger in the 'Miev causing this kind of problem.

Wonder if she needs to be reached out to?
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

kiev

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:22 pm

Here's the comment under a photo of some Leafs plugged in to a Nissan dcqc,
q/
Aaron Casto: So jealous!! Made the mistake of buying a miev and the chademo makes the car shut down and have to be towed every time! Brand new car! Mitsubishi management says there is nothing they can do to fix it. Buy a leaf!! I wish I would have."
/q

i've only tried chademo several times, at a local Eaton unit in town, and my car causes that Eaton to throw the main breaker for the 3-phase supply...? don't you know the leaf owners were hating me for the downtime until the service tech could be bothered to go reset the breaker...

The miev factory service manual has little to nothing to say about dcqc, or repairing it. Of course that is true about the pack too.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

JoeS
Site Moderator

Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:58 am

I moved the last two posts into this more on-topic thread.

I personally haven't had any issues using nrgEVgo or ChargePoint or Blink or Nissan CHAdeMO chargers.
I understand Eaton is getting out of the business. ref: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2806

The RBS Light Alarm thread issue described there is still unresolved. Red herring?
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

PV1
Site Moderator

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:13 am

I still haven't figured out KiEV's issue. Does the breaker trip during the safety tests, or after the tests when the car engages the contactors to start charging?

For both KiEV's and the poster on Nissan's facebook page, there has to be something mis-wired or a short somewhere. Replacing one of three components should solve either problem, and those would be the battery pack, EV-ECU, or the QC port and harness itself. If the data wires on the harness are bad/shorted, that could cause the car not to restart. Shorted power cables would cause the quick charger to fault/trip the breakers, so would reverse polarity within the pack (though that would do it after the safety checks).

The only QC issues I've had to date were CAN errors, some alarming pops, and one unit had a shorted power module, and these were all on a pair of Signet units (which through a series of changes and firmware updates, have mostly been resolved). Nothing was the fault of the car, though.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

wmcbrine

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:04 pm

The only issues I've had with CHAdeMO were that weird smell the first time, and struggling with the old-style connectors. (Happily, EVgo is replacing all of theirs with the easy push-in connectors.) I don't use it that much, although I did twice in one day during Drive Electric Week. :)

Phximiev

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:48 pm

kiev wrote:Here's the comment under a photo of some Leafs plugged in to a Nissan dcqc,
q/
Aaron Casto: So jealous!! Made the mistake of buying a miev and the chademo makes the car shut down and have to be towed every time! Brand new car! Mitsubishi management says there is nothing they can do to fix it. Buy a leaf!! I wish I would have."
/q

i've only tried chademo several times, at a local Eaton unit in town, and my car causes that Eaton to throw the main breaker for the 3-phase supply...? don't you know the leaf owners were hating me for the downtime until the service tech could be bothered to go reset the breaker...

The miev factory service manual has little to nothing to say about dcqc, or repairing it. Of course that is true about the pack too.

I made contact with Aaron via Messenger about the i-Miev problem. Here is the problem per Aaron:

"I have an exact definition of what problem is from Mitsubishi R&D it was a change on the 2016 models called a contact test. All new chargers also have this test and they don't work with the miev now. Regional manager says there is nothing he can do but if I can find old chademo chargers without this they will work. Only new chargers around here and most places so this is useless to me. He says there is no issue with the car I just can't use it with any modern chargers. Very irritating".

This doesn't make any sense to me and is the first time that I have heard of such a problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

And how can we help?
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

JoeS
Site Moderator

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:30 pm

Phximiev, thank you for following up. The description as written is confusing, so let's see if we can parse it:

Does it say that the 2016 i-MiEV performs a 'contact test' on the charger?

Does it say that the new charger performs a 'contact test' on the car?

Does it say that the new charger will or will not work with a pre-2016 i-MiEV?

Does it say that the new charger will or will not work with a 2016 i-MiEV?

I think it says that an old charger will still work with a 2016 i-MiEV(?)

As a sample of one, my old (2012) i-MiEV works just fine with a brand-new (2016) ChargePoint CHAdeMO charger.

Anyone with a 2016 i-MiEV have any CHAdeMO issues?
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Return to “EVSE (Charging Stations)”