What is NEMA 14-50?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkarl89203

On Plugshare I keep seeing NEMA 14-50 charging stations mentioned.

What are they? Can Imievs use them?

NEMA 14-50 is a 50 amp, 120/240 volt outlet. It is commonly used for welders and electric cooktops.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/wiring_devices/products/receptacles/power_receptacles/_50a/power_receptacles_50a_125_250v_nema_14_50_3_pole_4_wire_1258_5754n_1212_58.html

If you have a 240 volt EVSE that can go with you and it has this plug on it, sure.

As PV1 says "if you have a 240 volt EVSE". The supplied EVSE for the I-MiEV does not allow for 240 volt operation (at least the US version). If you want to use 240 volts and/or use the full capacity of the I-MiEV's internal charger, you need to go to evseupgrade.com and look at their offerings for the I-MiEV. The best choice is the get the Nissan EVSE and replace the one in the I-MiEV. This is the only way to get full capacity from the car. For less you money can upgrade the I-MiEV EVSE to work on both voltages, however you will still not be able to charge at full output.

Another option is the Clipper Creek EVSE. They can come with a plug already attached. I know a NEMA 6-50 plug is an option, not sure about a 14-50.

NEMA 14-50 outlets are often found at RV parks and campsites.
The Tesla Model S comes with a NEMA 14-50 adapter with its mobile cord and charges the Tesla at 10kW.

siai47 said:
The best choice is the get the Nissan EVSE and replace the one in the I-MiEV. This is the only way to get full capacity from the car.
I don't know- That's too little sugar for a nickel in my book

The upgraded stock EVSE will charge at about 13 amps @ 240 VAC Level 2 which is 3120 watts - The car is only capable of 3300 watts, so you're getting 95% of the maximum - Spending $650 on a Nissan EVSE doesn't seem like a good return on your money just to gain the last 5%. Before I did that, I think I'd just change out the 16 gauge cord on the EVSE for a 14 gauge and then they could program your EVSE for 14 amps which would give you the maximum charge rate for far less than $650 for a new Nissan EVSE

The upgraded EVSE is a really good investment in my book - The twist lock connector they install makes it really easy to carry around an assortment of pigtail adapters so you can plug into just about any outlet you're apt to find

Don

I'll have to change my opinion and agree with Don. When I first looked at an EVSE upgrade for the I-MiEV, they wouldn't go up to the 13 amp level. Now that they do (and have an adjustable output) it is by far the best option at any price for the I-MiEV. I've got 3 I-MiEV EVSE's laying around so maybe I go for it on one of them and sell it to a Volt owner.

Back