Schedule, Smart Grid, and Home Automation features?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyemoor

I'm trying to 'future proof' my EVSE choice (as JoeS put it), so I'm trying to find out more information on the capabilities of EVSEs with regard to the ability to schedule charges and tie into 'Smart Grid' and Home Automation interfaces. Mitsubishi is no stranger to Smart Grid efforts.

Please reply to this very preliminary list with your input and I'll keep updating this OP.

A full smart grid capable EVSE might ideally include;
  • Bi-directional communications between EVSE and energy service providers
  • Revenue-grade metering
  • Advanced metering infrastructure (AMI)/Ethernet/power line communications (PLC)/Wi-Fi/cellular/ZigBee interface capable
  • Interface capable with in-home displays and home energy management systems
  • Utility communication messaging (pricing/demand response/forecasting signals, etc.)
  • Controls (direct load control at fixed percents of EV load reduction, remote disconnect)

• Smart Grid protocols
  • SAE J2847 "Communication between Plug-in Vehicles and the Utility Grid"
  • Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI)

• Home Automation protocols
  • Zigbee
  • Z-Wave

My initial cursory findings show (Unit : Schedule : SmartGrid : HomeAutomation)

iMiEV Remote: Schedule Charging : N/A : N/A
AeroEnvironment: N/A :AMI : N/A
Siemens: N/A : AMI : N/A :
GE: N/A : (smart grid standard?) : N/A
ClipperCreek: N/A : (AMI?) : N/A
Leviton: N/A : (smart grid standard? FAQ) : N/A
JuiceBox: (potentially) : N/A : (potentially)

In the future Smart Grid scenario, not only will there be remote control over charging but also remote control allowing the utility to employ V2G. Not there yet, and it would need special chargers built into the car (such as AC Propulsion's setup in the MiniE).

For now, I wouldn't worry about all these bells and whistles being built into the EVSE, as there are and will be many different ways of controlling the power being sent to the EVSE (and thus the car).

Recognize that the EVSE is a very simple and pretty dumb interface between the power source and the car, and I'm glad to see the prices dropping. The only future-proofing you might consider is getting an L2 EVSE which can handle a 6.6kW onboard charger that some of the latest cars have (e.g., newer Leaf, Fiat 500e, Toyota RAV4EV, etc.). Otherwise, I'd go for price and I agree with eMaS that portability will allow you to take the EVSE with you for charging at, for example, friends' houses and RV campgrounds.

I have the ability to choose an EV-based TOU plan from my utility that greatly reduces electricity costs after 10pm. I'd like to be able to schedule that one way or another, whether through an EVSE interface or an AMI (or similar) interface, instead of going downstairs every night at 10pm, getting on my shoes, walking through the garage (in all seasons) to where the car is plugged in, and pushing the charge button (and perhaps forgetting). I am involved in an open source home automation effort (OpenHab), so am looking to potentially expand it in that direction, along with potentially the openAMI effort. Or even Arduino with JuiceBox.

JoeS said:
... there are ... many different ways of controlling the power being sent to the EVSE (and thus the car).

Besides the Remote, what are the other ways on a scheduled basis? Or even non-scheduled?

JoeS said:
I'd go for price and I agree with eMaS that portability will allow you to take the EVSE with you for charging at, for example, friends' houses and RV campgrounds.

I don't foresee myself plugging into my friend's dryer outlets (especially if most of them have CH4 or propane), nor do I see myself ending up at RV campgrounds. Others might, which would make this approach favorable for them.

Most EV's have onboard charge protocols which makes TOU charging possible - Some are better than others, but any of them would be preferable to spending $$$ to buy a fancy EVSE which does the same thing

The iMiEV comes with a remote (at least in North America it does) which enables you to program delay charging, so you would have no problem telling it to start charging at 10:15 every night - Set it once and forget it and it does it every time

It's hard to predict when and where you might want to charge in the future, so I wouldn't discount portability - Paying more for something which is permanently bolted to the garage wall doesn't make much sense to me

For the money (about $300) the best buy is to have your very compact, highly portable OEM Panasonic EVSE upgraded so it can be used on either 120 or 240 volts (or anything in between) with adjustable charge rates. As an added plus, it works better with the car's somewhat finicky charge protocol than just about any other EVSE . . . . and if you plan to use the delay charge protocol, that's very important - If the car doesn't *like* your fancy new EVSE, it's not worth much in the long run

Don

From the iMiev411 Remote illustrations, it wasn't clear that the remote could set the charger to charge on a schedule. That's good to know, especially for those of us who can choose an EV-oriented TOU rate schedule from our utility.

Those of us utilizing home automation software, for example, frequently look for additional features which allow us to track usage of specific devices, project near term needs, send alerts in the event of a charging interruption, and a host of other capabilities. For those who don't use home automation, these features would seem superfluous.

Additionally, some utilities are instituting real time pricing, where pricing is dynamic based on unfolding conditions, sometimes in the very short term. So if I need 4 hours of charging one night, for example, and the lowest price by far is between 2am and 6am, I would like to be able to adjust my schedule to that time frame automatically.

Should everyone want to involve themselves in this level of analysis when choosing an EVSE? No, it is rather technically complex and frankly specific to a rather limited subset of EV owners. Coming from a Scottish heritage, I completely understand the approach where someone wants to obtain the best value, such as the EVSE upgrade (which I may end up doing anyway).

However, for those who do want to find out more, this thread can be a place to do so. Anyone is welcome, from expert to rank novice.

skyemoor said:
I have the ability to choose an EV-based TOU plan from my utility that greatly reduces electricity costs after 10pm. I'd like to be able to schedule that one way or another, whether through an EVSE interface or an AMI (or similar) interface, instead of going downstairs every night at 10pm, getting on my shoes, walking through the garage (in all seasons) to where the car is plugged in, and pushing the charge button (and perhaps forgetting). I am involved in an open source home automation effort (OpenHab), so am looking to potentially expand it in that direction, along with potentially the openAMI effort. Or even Arduino with JuiceBox...

So your "cheap hours" are Super Off-peak: 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.

Do you remember this graph?

Barbagris said:
...¿Time to charge at 240V? In my case, in 4-5 hours. One example, 2 (nearly empty) to 16 bars (full). The graphic show total household consumption, but you can see (at the right) from the charging start at 04:00 a.m. and four hours later, at 08:00 begins to decline (the battery is nearly charged, start balancing). With 4 hours of charge I get out of home at 15-16 bars.

f0322c46efd66859d74dce22cc07af8eo.png

I assure you I did not get up at 4:00 am to plug in the charger, and my car doesn´t have a remote function.

Is the factory EVSE (at european 230V), plugged when the car come into the garage, but with a simple programmable clock in the line that feed the car's plug. Something like this (it's an Euro DIN clock, don't know yours)

IH-BIM-QT.jpg

I have another plug without clock, for charge at other (costlier) hours. Or I can bypass the clock with the conmuter.

Keep in mind, though, that the car will remember the set ON or OFF time, but the remote needs to be turned on and the command sent every night when you plug in. It doesn't automatically engage. It's pretty simple to turn on, press the right key once, and press send.

As for V2G features, I think EVs should only play a one-way role. I explained this in the Tesla Motors Club forum, but I'll have to find the post again. It basically says that EVs leave extra battery capacity open, the owner sets the mileage they would need on a daily basis with an easy full-charge override. The EV charges to the set range or SoC, but if there is excess power on the grid, it'll trigger the cars in the affected area to start charging and absorb the excess. The owner will occasionally be surprised with extra range, but never have their charge taken away. When grid power is tight, EVs charging in the area will be stopped, and if that's not enough, some load-shedding can take place (temporarily cut off refrigerators/freezers, stagger AC use, etc.), or have renewable storage online to inject some power before load-shedding.

When I find the post, I'll copy a link here.

Good discussions! Looks like an inexpensive scheduling solution would be a EVSE-upgrade and a Remote.

Barbagris, which application are you using to track your home electricity consumption?

What EVSE's have been shown to be problematic with the iMiEV?

skyemoor said:
My SPX Power Xpress can interface to either 120vac or 240vac, but has a problem with our Mitsu Remote - the programming doesn't 'take' every time. I see that it is now a Bosch product
http://www.pluginnow.com/power-xpress

On that same Bosch website, I see they have a L2 EVSE for $449. Have no idea how compatible it is with our Remote.
http://www.pluginnow.com/power-max

Nonetheless, the EVSEUpgrade is still the best deal, IMO, and offers simple programmability if you need to reduce the current because of supply constraints. It runs great with our Remote at 120vac. I just realized I haven't tried using it with the Remote at 240vac, simply because all of my 'programmed' charging is 120vac overnight.

The only time I use 240vac L2 is when I'm in a hurry and need it immediately, and actually use it with a mechanical timer to shut it off - oh, and my timer box incorporates a watt-hour meter as well. Here's a picture: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2910#p2910

For power monitoring remotely I use a TED 5000 http://www.theenergydetective.com/

skyemoor said:
Generally all level 2 EVSE's show issues with the remote. Some are much worse than others. With my EVSE Upgrade unit, pre-heating/cooling works every time if the car has finished charging. Setting timers works fine if I set them within a minute of plugging in. What usually always gives me problems are sending timers to the car after it has been charging for a while, and this occurs on both EVSE Upgrade and Eaton level 2 stations (only ones I've tried timers with).

When an issue pops up, it usually takes three sends overall to work. I've watched my car while trying to set a timer. The first send lights up the EV warning light, stops charging, and the EVSE disengages. The second try is only an error on the remote, pretty sure the car did nothing, but the third press goes through, EVSE kicks in, and the EV warning light goes out. The timer is then set, the car charges its normal 15 seconds or so, then the EVSE disengages and the car waits out the timer until it starts charging.

Level 1 works perfectly.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong. Kind of a 'tongue in cheek' answer ;) )

Great discussion, all! I need to bow out, however, as I've make my purchase, and it was not an iMiEV (Prius Plug-in). I still like the iMiEV alot, however, and may give the Prius PI to my wife and purchase an iMiEV in a year, as we are in the process of replacing both of our cars.

Thanks for all the tips, and hopefully the information herein can be helpful to others.

P.S. Barbagris, I like the application you're using, thanks for sharing the info.

Back