Chev Volt Voltec 220 Volt EVSE for iMiEV?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gmarcucio said:
Will the Chevrolet Volt Voltec 220 Volt charger work for charging the MiEV?

Just curious:

Why does anyone want to specifically use the Volt charger for their MiEV?
Cheaper, better, different than any of the many 220-240 chargers including our upgraded dual voltage stock MiEV chargers many of us upgraded for ~$300 ?

Alex

With Euro 2000 Panasonic vs. Euro 350 Voltec it is awfully cheap and with Euro 250 for a J1772 cable it is even an option for tinkering.

I use my Voltec as a backup and on circuits that dont support 16A. Got mine from an Opel store and garage that even dont support the Ampera yet. GM seem to be very friendly towards their customers and their parts are cheap.

They have got a nice torch light that lights when you push the release button. It helps finding the socket in the dark.

in australia it seems to be the cheapest 10A EVSE $AUD350

unfortunately it doesn't come with the yazaki j1772 charge coupler so I wouldn't use it in public since it can't be locked.

watch out for quality control though. the original unit that came with the Holden Volt showed up with red LED charge fault. Replaced by Melville Holden under warranty.

nissan leaf has option to have a cover that covers the charge ports in public $AUD515

I just received the Clipper Creek (CC) ECS-20 15A EVSE. Got it for the Holden volt, but it trips its 20mA RCD/GFCI. Will Barrett (CC) is working on fix.
BTW CC makes the 10A volt EVSE.

costs $AUD700 for both 10/15A CC EVSE.

Back