aarond12

Re: Clipper Creek Level 2 charger deal.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:58 am

Clipper Creek charger update -- day one! (I promise I won't do daily updates unless something goes wrong.)

Wired up the charger last night when I got home. I attached a NEMA 14-50* plug to the charger -- the new standard dryer plug -- and put the matching socket in the wall. ZERO PROBLEMS. The vehicle started charging instantly. This morning, after the car was presumably fully charged, I used my remote to start the heater. Again, zero problems. I guess the CC software update worked.

Man, with the 3.3kW charger, the car gets WARM when pre-heated! WOW! It was probably 85 degrees in the car! :twisted:

* Yes, I know the NEMA 14-50 plug is WAY overkill. I'm more interested in being able to use this as a portable charger when visiting friend's houses.
2015 Nissan LEAF S

acensor

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:55 am

Lithim wrote:Regarding the Clipper Creek Level 2 charger:

Received a notice from Mitsubishi today titled: Customer Satisfaction Campaign SC-13-001. Notice dated February, 2013.

It is for vehicles built from 10/28/2011 thru 9/20/2012

....."The current internal software programming for the EV-ECU is incompatible with the Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment charger produced by Clipper Creek."

We want a level-2 charger, but not sure when our car (just purchased off the dealer lot, in enroute to us) was manufactured.

Does anyone here know how to decipher our date of manufacture from the VIN ?
VIN: JA3215H19CU011736

Alex
Alex
{this message posted with 100% post consumer recycled electrons}
SE 2012 white with blue trim, powered by PV plus hydro
2001 Subaru Forester L
Two Trek street/trail bicycles optimized for mild around town use

camiev

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:28 pm

You can call Mitsu. They can tell you and all the recalls applible to yours. You should have all the recall done before taking deliver.

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/media/ow ... 12VINs.pdf

acensor wrote:
Lithim wrote:Regarding the Clipper Creek Level 2 charger:

Received a notice from Mitsubishi today titled: Customer Satisfaction Campaign SC-13-001. Notice dated February, 2013.

It is for vehicles built from 10/28/2011 thru 9/20/2012

....."The current internal software programming for the EV-ECU is incompatible with the Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment charger produced by Clipper Creek."

We want a level-2 charger, but not sure when our car (just purchased off the dealer lot, in enroute to us) was manufactured.

Does anyone here know how to decipher our date of manufacture from the VIN ?

Alex
San Diego, CA
2012 SE Diamond White/Ocean Blue since 02/2013

acensor

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:11 pm

JoeS wrote:....... I don't suppose the Wattstation issue has been fixed with the Clipper Creek fix? ............

What's the Wattstation issue? :?:
Alex
2001 Subaru Forester L

eMaS

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:04 pm

I live close to Clipper Creek, they used to be the old EVI (under a different name)
and they did the 'california clean air' grant upgrade here at UCDavis
this is my response from them:

Thanks for asking. Mitsubishi would like all customer inquires refereed to their support staff at 1-888-648-7820 (I bet the support folks at this number can decipher the VIN number and verify that it has the updated software). If people call here about the vehicle or this specific issue I would need to refer them to Mitsubishi. You can feel free to provide my information for any questions about the ClipperCreek products.

As long as the vehicle has received the Mitsubishi software upgrade it will work as expected with all of our stations including the L2 station that is on special.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you need anything else.

--
Will Barrett
Inside Sales Manager
ClipperCreek Inc.
Phone 530-887-1674 ex.303
Fax 530-887-8527
EVSplusSolar.org
facebook.com/pages/EVs-plus-Solar/1456914921198794
youtube.com/channel/UCnLIQ1taqUOPZ9TQRvKCfZQ

2014 Fiat 500e
2012 Mitsubishi iMiEV
2003 Toyota Rav4 EV
2000 Ford Ranger EV

Leviton Evr-Green 160 portable 220V charger
former EV1 driver

acensor

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:49 am

RE LCS-25, Level 2 Charging Station

I have an unused fully professinally installed per USA electric code (in 1993 when all electrical was redone in this home) 240 volt 50 amp receptical intended for use with an electric clothes dryer in my garage.
(It's unused because we have a gas, not electrical, dryer ... not because there's anything wrong with it.)

Is it, and its plug, likely to be useable with clipper creek's LCS-25, Level 2 Charging Station? Plug your station right in?
Or might I need any sort of adaptor?

I ask in part because I vaguely remember that there might be two types of 240-volt wall plug configurations.

Any anyone with one know how long the cord on it is (Yeah, I know I can probably find THAT on the Clipper Creek site.)

Alex
Alex
2001 Subaru Forester L

alohart

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:46 am

acensor wrote:
Lithim wrote:Does anyone here know how to decipher our date of manufacture from the VIN ?

According to Mitsubishi, the manufacture date is not encoded in the VIN. After your car arrives, you can read the manufacturing date on a plate that's visible in the driver's door jam.
Aloha,
Art
Honolulu: 2014 BMW i3 BEV (formerly 2012 i-MiEV SE)
Uppsala, Sweden: 2000 Honda Insight

aarond12

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:50 am

I have that charger, the one on special. I added a NEMA 14-50 plug to it so I could plug it into newer dryer plugs and RV park outlets. I took an unused air conditioner plug near the fuse box and replaced its old-style plug with a matching NEMA 14-50 socket. After carefully checking voltages with a voltmeter, I plugged in the charger -- worked just fine.

Make sure you have a 25 AMP circuit breaker installed to stay within electrical code. The LCS-25 delivers 20 AMPs and requires a 25 AMP breaker.

If you have never done electrical work, PLEASE hire an electrician to do the job for you.
2015 Nissan LEAF S

acensor

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:45 am

aarond12 wrote:.... I added a NEMA 14-50 plug to it so I could plug it into newer dryer plugs and RV park outlets.........
Make sure you have a 25 AMP circuit breaker installed to stay within electrical code. The LCS-25 delivers 20 AMPs and requires a 25 AMP breaker.....

Unless I'm mistaken (and I easily could be) NEMA 5–15R is what most household electric dryer recepticals are. So do you have BOTH NEMA 5–15R and NEMA 14-50 plugs on your charger?

Also, I'm a bit confused with your suggestion that there should be a 25 amp breaker at the service box on the 240 line. In my circuit/service panel there are three 240v DUAL breakers (one for the electrical oven, one for the air conditioner, and one for the unused electric clothes dryer wall plug.
Each is a DUAL (pair of breakers) each with a total capacity of 50 amps.

Doesn't make much sense to me that device you plug in dictates what breaker is back at the box (that's dictated by what the wiring FROM the box is rated for -- not so?). Otherwise if I plugged a desklight with only a rated capacity of 5 amps into one of my 15 amp wall sockets I'd have to go back to the circuit box and remove the 15 amp breaker and replace it with a 5amp.

What am I missing here?
:?:
Alex
Alex
2001 Subaru Forester L

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:39 am

acensor wrote:Also, I'm a bit confused with your suggestion that there should be a 25 amp breaker at the service box on the 240 line. In my circuit/service panel there are three 240v DUAL breakers (one for the electrical oven, one for the air conditioner, and one for the unused electric clothes dryer wall plug.
Each is a DUAL (pair of breakers) each with a total capacity of 50 amps.
The one for the oven is properly sized - I'm sure that one has a 6 gauge wire feeding a socket rated at 50 amps

I'm not so sure about Europe, but here in the USA we don't have either dryer or air conditioning outlets rated for 50 amps. If you'll check the markings on the outlets and the size of the wire feeding them, I would bet neither of those circuits should have 50 amp breakers

Doesn't make much sense to me that device you plug in dictates what breaker is back at the box (that's dictated by what the wiring FROM the box is rated for -- not so?).

What am I missing here?
If you want to plug in an EVSE (or any other device) rated at 20 amps into any of those 50 amp circuits, do you think the wire from the plug to the EVSE is the same size as the wire from the socket to the power panel? Nope

The circuit breaker should never be sized larger than the capacity of the wire on the appliance you're feeding, otherwise it could be possible to melt or burn that lighter gauge wire in the event of a short circuit before your huge breaker will trip. If your EVSE is rated for 20 amps, it probably has a 10 or 12 gauge wire attached to it's plug and you cannot use a 50 amp breaker to feed a 10 or 12 gauge wire. If you intend to use that outlet only for the EVSE, you really should replace your breaker with the smaller 25 amp

Now, if your EVSE has it's own 20 or 25 amp fuses, then plugging it into a circuit rated for 50 amps is not so problematic, though if it was to be permanently mounted, I'm pretty sure the code would still require the smaller breaker

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

Return to “EVSE (Charging Stations)”