If your in the market for a charger

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan O

Yesterday I had my home inspection from The Geek Squad. Sure glad I didn't have to pay for that. They sent 3 guys out and none of them knew anything about the chargers. All they did is fill out a form and I had to help them with that. There is so much confusion about the charger installation that I decided to install it myself. I ran a #8 3 conductor wire from my circuit breaker box to the outlet box that I cut into the wall where I am mounting the charger. #8 wire might be overkill but the run is 110 feet and I didn't want any voltage drop. Next after a lot of research I found the cheapest source for the Leveton 160 charger. That is a 240 volt charger that is 16 amp with an output of 3.6kw. That is the same voltage, amperage and kw output at the unit that the Geek Squad is selling. I recommend that anyone wanting to purchase the charger on their own contact Chip Hoffman owner of Black Hawk Electric in Warren, Michigan. You can find him on the web at yourgreencontractor.us. Very frendly and helpful. Cost of the Leviton unit was $900.00 and the installation kit was $60.00. free shipping and no sales tax. This is cheaper than Home Depot is charging for the same unit. Good luck and happy charging! Dan O

Question: Does the use of a charging station OTHER THAN EATON affect the battery warranty? Has anybody seen any Mitsu restrictions regarding this?? Thanks in advance

-- evrider

The key word is recommendation here:

http://i.mitsubishicars.com/miev/charging

Faster
Optional home charging dock (240V/15A, EVSE)
Requires purchase and installation
This is our recommendation for fast and convenient home charging. Developed by Eaton, a global leader in electrical components, the 240V wall-mounted quick-charger gives you a full charge in just 7.0 hours. Essentially, the 240V charger is your own personal "fueling" station.

Also:

It will not void the warranty on your car. In the US we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which is a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products. Among other things, It prevents manufacturers from denying warranty coverage from use of aftermarket products. The only way they can deny a claim is to unequivocally prove that the product did damage to your car.

jjlink said:
It will not void the warranty on your car. In the US we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which is a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products. Among other things, It prevents manufacturers from denying warranty coverage from use of aftermarket products. The only way they can deny a claim is to unequivocally prove that the product did damage to your car.
Very useful information, that why I love this Mitsubishi i Forum! Thanks so much - this calms all of my fears about purchasing a different charger for my Mitsubishi i-Miev than the one recommended by Mitsubishi themselves!

Back