Two Charging rates of the Eaton Charger

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan O

After some research, I have found out that Eaton makes two 240 volt Level 2 chargers. One that Mitsubishi and the Geek Squad are recommending that has an output of 3.6kw. The other is a 240 volt residential unit that has an output of 7.2kw. My question is will one of the chargers charge the "I" faster than the other? Does anyone know what the Geek Squad is pricing their unit at? Thanks in advance. Dan O

I can't remember right now, but I think the Mitsubishi i can only handle charge rates of 3.6KwH which would mean the other charger wouldn't be fully utilized, so it wouldn't be worth paying extra for.

This is what the Mitsubishi i website has to say about charging times:
Optional home charging dock (240V/15A, EVSE)

This is our recommendation for fast and convenient home charging. Developed by Eaton, a global leader in electrical components, the 240V wall-mounted quick-charger gives you a full charge in just 7.0 hours. Essentially, the 240V charger is your own personal "fueling" station.

Better yet, the federal government is offering tax credits up to $1,000 4 for those who purchase the 240V home charging dock. That's in addition to the $7,500 4 tax credit for buying the Mitsubishi i. And then there's all that money you won't be spending on gas. The good news just keeps piling up around here.

So they don't rate the charger based on KwH but instead on amps. Somebody who knows how to make the conversion could figure out which Eaton charger they are talking about.

My quote for the Eaton 240v charger includes a 40amp circuit - which I assume they would only need if they installed the 30amp capable EVSE. Does anybody have anymore details? Did anyone buy the Eaton EVSE?

I was also wondering what the "Advanced Cord Management" system does (for $90 extra)?

And, I see 16' cord on the PDF I got from Eaton, but a 25' cord when I attempt to buy the EVSE on Eaton's website. Which is it?

Thanks - Dan

Remember that the i will pull at most 13A So installing a 40A circuit, or a 30A EVSE is overkill.

The "Advanced Cord Management" is... wait for it... a HOOK and a null-receptacle for the plug! You can see it on the Eaton web site.

Sheesh! How much do they want for the unit and it's "advanced cord management"? We got the Legrand from Home Depot, which has a nice coiled cord (no manual winding), the plug stows safely in the main unit. Only $750.

marta said:
So they don't rate the charger based on KwH but instead on amps. Somebody who knows how to make the conversion could figure out which Eaton charger they are talking about.

watts / volts = amps

So, 3.6kW / 240v = 15A.

Mind you, I'm pretty sure none of us have seen the car pull quite that much. It seems to pull about 3.1kW max, so it draws 3.1kW / 240V = 13A. In any event, no point in getting more than a 16A EVSE for charging the i.

Ok, hre it is.
The i will pull no more then 3.3 Kw. The Eaton EVSEL216 is a 16 Amp unit with an output of 3.8 Kw. So, that's more then sufficient for charging up the i.
The Eaton EVSEL230 as the numbers imply, is a 30 Amp unit with an output of 7.2 Kw. This unit will not charge the i any faster then the EVSEL216 because the i will only allow 3.3 Kw max into the battery.
However, 3.3 Kw is an old standard sort of speak, since the 2012 Leaf, 2012 Focus and most other new electric cars will charge at a rate of 6.6 Kw or higher. I belive the Tesla roadster will take as much as 17Kw from a Level2 70 Amp unit.
So, to make the long story short. If you decide to by a new electric car in a couple of years, most likely it will charge at a rate of 6.6 Kw or higher thus the EVSEL230 is a better choice, or if your friend with his or her new electric car comes to visit, it can charge up twice as fast with the EVSEL230 then it would with the EVSEL216.
The 30 Amp unit is $100 more.

Hope this helps

Fondi

fondi said:
If you decide to by a new electric car in a couple of years, most likely it will charge at a rate of 6.6 Kw or higher thus the EVSEL230 is a better choice, or if your friend with his or her new electric car comes to visit, it can charge up twice as fast with the EVSEL230 then it would with the EVSEL216.
The 30 Amp unit is $100 more.

Fondi

Good analysis, Fondi.

Jenn

Thanks guys, my pleasure.

Hey Jenn, you got the same i-MiEV I got.

2012 Diamond White i-MiEV ES

Very good choice.

Fondi

Back