Portable CHAdeMO

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rnlcarlov, thank you very much for the updates. In North America the maximum current available at outlets is 50A at 240vac split phase, as three-phase power is generally not publicly-available. For this reason, the 10kW CHAdeMO charger would suffice for us. If I were making a cross-country i-MiEV trip I'd definitely have one of these in my car.

Hmm, need to stop by some local welding and machine shops and see what they use for three-phase connectors, although I suspect this type of equipment is hard-wired.

Incidentally, to view any website in your native language, simply copy and paste the URL into Google Translate -
https://translate.google.com

I did use Google translate. That's how I found about their group buy. But while the translation may be enough to get a general idea of what's being talked about, the text becomes quite awkward when translating some languages. German-English was so-so on more simple things, but not really enough for an in-depth reading. Let's not even get started on German-Portuguese. That's what I call one ungodly mess :lol:

In any case, my dabbling in German foruns did let me know that there's an importer of SETEC chargers in Europe (more specifically, Slovakia).
http://twincar.sk/chargers.php#10kw
2-Years warranty and quite reasonable prices. EVSEadapters would be a no-go for european customers, due to customs and all, but this is quite interesting. Importing directly from China wouldn't be that much cheaper and it's always a bigger risk.

JoeS said:
In case anyone is interested, an expensive portable CHAdeMO unit may well be cheaper than a new charger from Mitsubishi, and at least offer the option of charging at home (or having along on long trips) while troubleshooting the broken charger or looking for a used replacement. For example (I have no connection with this, and after posting this I see that they are an advertiser on this forum), this unit has adjustable output current settings.
https://www.evseadapters.com/products/portable-chademo-ccs-combo-dc-quick-charger
(Too bad the forum messes up the link -- have to copy and paste.)

This thing is so tempting. I see the price has come down... but also, they now offer it as a dual-standard model, so it'd be somewhat future-proof.

But still, over 1/3 the cost of my car...

(It would be fun to offer it on Plugshare -- a home station with DCFC!)

wmcbrine said:
JoeS said:
(Too bad the forum messes up the link -- have to copy and paste.)

This thing is so tempting. I see the price has come down... but also, they now offer it as a dual-standard model, so it'd be somewhat future-proof.

But still, over 1/3 the cost of my car...

(It would be fun to offer it on Plugshare -- a home station with DCFC!)

I've known about these for a while, and yes they're tempting. There are some from other bran that charge up to 33 Amps, wich is even faster. Downside is you probably won't be able to charge all the way to 100%, since it's using Chademo. Usually the car shuts down QC once a certain amperage threshold is reached, someting between 90-95% depending on the car and battery condition.

So, I've been exchanging emails with Setec. They're very responsive. Yes, it runs off single phase 240vac 60Hz, and they quoted me USD$2500 for the CHAdeMO and USD$3000 for the dual CHAdeMO + CCS version. Presently I'm trying to obtain shipping and ancillary costs from them, as well as clarifying exactly what input cabling and connectors these things come with (e.g., they quoted a J1772 input).

If I recall from some tests made a few years ago, our i-MiEV charging cuts out if the CHAdeMO input falls below 5A.

Dumb question: is i-MiEV cell balancing active during CHAdeMO?

All this because I'm trying to determine if this would be a usable charging source at home if the built-in i-MiEV charger conks out, in addition to being handy for a long i-MiEV trip.

Then there's the issue of the dc-dc...

I'll update again when I get more information.

Thanks for gathering the details Joe, that price is quite reasonable. After confirming BMS function with use of the Setec unit, I'd be quite interested myself, as the Orion BMS2 offers CHAdeMO control for DIY EVs, and I already have a spare CHAdeMO inlet.
https://www.orionbms.com/products/orion-bms-standard
My most frequent reason for not driving MR BEAN (which rolled 89k miles yesterday) is not his range for a single trip, but turnaround time for the next trip, with our slow L2 charging. The offboard CHAdeMO unit is less costly than replacement of the onboard charger (non-salvage), and could take a lot of stress of our undercooled onboard charger (while adding some strain to the battery).

Well, shipping the Setec from China was going to be $500 and I was still unclear what input adapters they provide. It turns out this is the same unit being sold by EVSEAdapters.com so I said thank you and am not pursuing it directly with Setec any further.

JoeS said:
<span>Well, shipping the Setec from China was going to be $500 and I was still unclear what input adapters they provide. It turns out this is the same unit being sold by <a href="https://www.evseadapters.com/?ll_ref_id=9d5y" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">EVSEAdapters</a>.com so I said thank you and am not pursuing it directly with Setec any further.</span>

In America you have that option. The good ol' Aussies had to rely on contact with the Chinese, since shipping from America to Australia was a big no-no. Plus they bought two in a group so they got a cheaper price. In Europe there's twincar.sk, a company in Slovakia.

But the versions currently out can come configured either for 1-phase 30Amps or 3-phase AC input, but not both. So if they bring out a unit that accepts both inputs, if would be nice to see if we can get that through these distributors.

Palm35 said:
Last year, I have bought the CHΛdeMO Setec Charger in a European retailers
I have done a video.
Merci! Thank you for showing some of the details of the display and I especially like the hatch latch extender :geek:, which is better than running the wire through a partially-open rear window which is prone to rain intrusion.

Came across this old thread. Just for the record, I've been using this Setec charger for the last nine months while my OBC had been broken, feeding it from a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. Works very well, with a high-quality CHAdeMO handle. Stops charging at 80% automatically which is all I want for daily use, but if needed a restart can take it up to 99%. IMO, way too expensive (especially with the previous administration's import duty), but still cheaper than a new OBC. I purchased it with a CCS cable in addition to the CHAdeMO - kinda useless as most modern vehicles can handle at least 32A J1772 charging, but perhaps useful if an OBC quits working.

https://www.setec-power.com/product/10kw-chademo-portable-charger/

Back