New Replacement Traction Battery - Changes in Construction

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centex

With the new batteries that Mitsubishi is replacing under warranty what differences are there compared to the original battery?

Picked up my 2012 today with a new traction battery. I had not seen comments on any changes in the new replacement batteries. I was thinking one of the members might know.

centex said:
what differences are there compared to the original battery?
As far as I know, the only difference will be the LEV50N cells, replacing the original LEV50s. The Ns are a fair improvement, but that's it as far as I know.

Thanks for the information.

Nice to have about 40-50% increase in range over the old battery.

I got almost 9 years out of the original battery. Hope to get at least 6 years out of the new battery.

Centex

Do we know for sure that the replacement batteries Mitsu is installing under warranty are actually 'new'?? Do we know for sure that they contain the newer LEV50N cells?? Has anybody (so far) actually opened one up to see what's inside?

The battery warranty is for 10 years - If you get 9 years out of the original pack, Mitsu only 'owes' you one more year of warranty. If I was Mitsu I certainly wouldn't be giving away brand new battery packs just to get me through one more year of warranty - If anything, I would be replacing the bad cells in the returned packs and making up 'serviceable' used packs from the original packs I'm taking in as warranty replacements. Maybe I'm crazy and Mitsu has gobs of cash to burn and maybe they are giving away $5K brand new packs . . . . but I seriously have my doubts. It just wouldn't make any sense at all

Don

Don said:
Do we know for sure that the replacement batteries Mitsu is installing under warranty are actually 'new'?? Do we know for sure that they contain the newer LEV50N cells?? Has anybody (so far) actually opened one up to see what's inside?
The battery warranty is for 10 years - If you get 9 years out of the original pack, Mitsu only 'owes' you one more year of warranty. If I was Mitsu I certainly wouldn't be giving away brand new battery packs just to get me through one more year of warranty - If anything, I would be replacing the bad cells in the returned packs and making up 'serviceable' used packs from the original packs I'm taking in as warranty replacements. Maybe I'm crazy and Mitsu has gobs of cash to burn and maybe they are giving away $5K brand new packs . . . . but I seriously have my doubts. It just wouldn't make any sense at all.
Don, interesting proposition. I can't help wonder if transportation and labor costs associated with processing, refurbishing, and testing cells/modules/packs would outweigh the cost of simply giving the consumer a new pack? Along the same lines, we keep hearing about 'second-life' for spent EV batteries, but I've only heard of third-parties and not OEM's pursuing this. Associated with this, I'd be interested in knowing what Hyundai/LG will do with the 60,000 KonaEV battery packs they're going to be replacing. :geek:

Back