kiev

Re: Gen1 DCDC Converter Troubleshooting and Repair

Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:44 am

i searched on ebay and found a 2nd gen OBC listed. Also searched on car-part.com, but can't determine what exactly they have and if it is the OBC/DCDC unit. You can see the phone numbers for salvage yards and call to ask.

i would happy to try to repair your board if you wanted to send it out, seems a shame to get this far and not finish it. i order parts frequently and can combine other items to save on shipping.

Last year i bought 2 OBC units from Japan but they were the 2nd Gen with different DCDC boards, and the shipping cost more than the items, and i found a blown capacitor in the one unit that i opened, so that didn't really work out.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

eldenh

Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:47 pm

PM sent.
2012 ES

eldenh

Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:54 pm

While I am waiting for Kenny to repair my DCDC board, if he can, I have a working OBC. I reinstalled it without a DCDC board and replaced the aux battery with two 30ah LiFePO4 12v batteries. I replaced the plastic battery tray with a piece of 2x6 that was thinned by about 1/8 in and disconnected the wire to the 120A fuse link. I connected a digital voltmeter to monitor the battery. I've used about about 12 bars and recharged 2 hours and the voltage never dropped below 12.2v and has recovered to 13.2v, I've avoided using headlights or the heater, but ran the fan on low. The battery voltage drops about 0.5v occasionally when the vacuum pump or water pump runs but quickly recovers. It appears that I can drive on that aux battery quite a bit longer than the HV battery will take me. These batteries don't have SAE terminals, so I made some jumper wires to connect them the the battery cables.
2012 ES

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”