dweaver
Gold Member

Re: Hi everyone....have two 2012 I-Mievs.....need help....

Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:16 am

kiev, two SRS codes set.

FL side ABG squib open

DR seat position SW open

I think I can clear them after checking wiring, fuses, etc.....and then drive it and see what happens?

Any idea what the codes mean?

How do these codes have anything to do with the HV light code originally set?

What in the world?

Thanks,
Dale

dweaver
Gold Member

Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:35 am

Oh sorry....

B1431 FL side ABG squib open

B1506 DR seat position SW open

dweaver
Gold Member

Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:01 am

I cleared the SRS codes.

Drove around.

There's nothing wrong with the car!

So far. So good.

Going to make a longer trip now like my wife did when all of this started.

Taking my i909 with me.

:lol:

Thanks.

dweaver
Gold Member

Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:08 pm

Well, Got stuck at the store. Hooked up i909 and cleared the code. Started up.....drove home. Now at home, it starts right back up.

:lol:

I don't know what else to do except switch 12V batteries.....and see what happens.

Thanks,
Dale

kiev

Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:33 pm

You can plug in the scanner and leave it in while you drive to monitor the aux battery voltage in the ETACS datastream.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

dweaver
Gold Member

Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:19 pm

Thanks kiev.

First....since it starts now....I'll put the meter on the 12V and go to ready....and see what it reads. I already did this to raspberry, so I can compare the readings. I'll do it tomorrow. Can't take it anymore today.

If that is no luck....I'll put the raspberry battery in silver and go and see what happens.

These batteries the dealer put in, I think it was last year, are Car Quest dated 1/18.....which might not mean anything.

Forgot to mention....the SRS codes were stored.....not active. But, I have no idea how they got there.

Thanks,
Dale

Don
Site Moderator

Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:38 am

kiev wrote:What caused the initial P1A15? likely a weak aux battery (since it wasn't being driven regularly or kept on a Yuasa trickle charger). i tested many and Yuasa is the only one to get, the rest are crap.

I've had really good results using Battery Tender Jr's for many years - Are they one of the ones you tested and didn't like?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-Tend ... XWEALw_wcB

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon
2006 Itasca Navion Sprinter Motor Home

dweaver
Gold Member

Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:46 pm

Well, it went like this....

It works!!!!!!!!! It's alive!!!!!

So....got out there this morning....check the V on the Silver Aux.....12.51. This is after I had it charged to over 13V. Thought....go in the garage and check Raspberry.....12.82.

Figured....no point in switching batteries. Took the 12V out of Silver.....went to Advance. I made them check the first one they pulled out date stamped 2019 read 12.55, 89% charge. I said no.....that will not do....can you charge it? They said sure. I went to a paint store and came back. Well, it had a bad cell in it and wouldn't charge and it had a reading of 12.55.....Hmmmmm. They pulled one from the back of the shelf.....date stamped 2020, 100% charge, reading 12.83. I took it.

I'm trying to make a long story short.

Put it in. Drove around the neighborhood.....it went to 13 even. Hmmm.....other battery went down after driving.

Took the long trip back to the store.....with the i909 of course. :lol: It started right back up. Checked the V at home.....reads 13 even.

Pulled out the manual....it says right in the front of the manual....if 12V battery is discharged....the I-Miev will not start and charging the main battery will not work.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the dealer yet....but pretty upset about their incompetence and wanting $4750 which wouldn't even have fixed it. And, the torture they put me through....

kiev, I'm paying you and don't say no. Send me a PM. You only saved me about $5000.

I want to make some more trips before I'm absolutely convinced it's fine.....but....looking good.

I had a big advantage having another 2012 I-Miev that I could compare things to.

Thanks a bunch everyone.

I'll be back.

dweaver
Gold Member

Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:34 pm

I have maybe a dumb question.

Why would they make a car that if the 12V battery gets discharged, it sets a code and the car cannot be started again without removing the code?

In other words, what good would jumping the car do when it isn't going to start anyway? Or what good would charging the 12V or replacing it do if the car isn't going to start anyway with the code set?

Something doesn't seem right about this.

They give jumping instructions in the manual.

kiev

Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:21 am

i know it's seems odd that an Electric car can be totally disabled by a low aux battery voltage. In ICE cars we take them for granted, abuse them, and squeeze every last electron out of them, especially in the old days when a little jump would get it running and the alternator could keep everything up to get you home.

Even though the lithium battery is 1000x better than lead, they rely on the simplicity of lead to supply the background power for all the complex control units needed to safely operate the high energy pack. It's a computer on wheels and it's smart enough to know that if the LV power supply can't hold up the system, then it's better to not go to READY than to risk a crash on the highway when the system drops out while making a turn or pulling out into traffic in front of a big truck, or crossing train tracks, etc...
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”