"Battery dead" 2012 Peugeot Ion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannes80

Hi!

(At the moment not so) happy owner of a 2012 Peugeot Ion.

Few days ago I got the "! car" sign and while in drive and pulling up the dreaded "turtle".

Managed to get it to the garage, no real power, only got to about 40 km/h.
After some measurements their conclusion: battery dead some kind of short circuit, sorry. They tried to contact HQ: sorry, total loss.

Strange: after turning car on the power seems there for a few seconds and then it gets capped. Feel like there should be a solution other than getting a new pack. Garage seems a bit clueless.

Anyone of you good people here who can enlighten me a bit?

Thanks!

Johannes.

Howdy Johannes and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you are having a problem.

How many miles or km on the car, what was the manufacturing date shown on the tag in the door sill?

Do you know the condition of the 12-volt aux battery--is it the original or has it been changed out recently? a weak, old or worn out aux battery can cause issues such as this. If it is the original, it is likely worn out and should be replaced, even if it shows 12.5 volts with a multimeter.

Will the car accept a chargge when you plug in either level 1 or 2, or Chademo if it has that port? Does the "fuel" gauge go up to the full 16 bars when it is done charging?

Search for the thread about "Canion" to learn options for buying an OBDII dongle and using a phone app to read the condition and status of each cell in your pack--that would really give you some information to determine what is the true status. Nobody has ever reported a total pack going dead, it is usually one or a couple of cells which fail, and these can be replaced.

If the car is at a garage with the service tool, they can read the Trouble Codes. Post those codes up here and we can help determine the issue.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

That's some great information. Thanks for the help!

On it... and keep you posted on the progress.

Just remembered I wrote some error codes down that the roadside assistance got out of the car first:

MaxiDiag Elite

1. Intelligent service central -- ETAC - Error 3
2. Electronic unit motor/generator -- MCU - Error 1
3. Electronic unit "rest missing" - Error 3
4. Integrated charger traction battery -- ETACS - Error 3
5. Electronic unit electrical car -- EV_ECU - Error 6
18. Electronic unit ABS or ESP -- ASC - Error 3
19. Steering help -- EPS - Error 1
24. Instrumentpanel -- METER - Error 3

His conclusion: your car isn't working :)

Guess a lot of them are connected and probably not saying that much. I'll try to get the findings from garage + Canion next.

At the garage today. Mechanic wasn't there but managed to use Canion.

After putting the car in drive and holding the brake the voltages started going up and down pretty random:

Screenshot-2019-10-14-09-59-56-2.png

Drove a little around the parking: no problem, no warning signs. Strange: guy at the front desk got the papers out and told us only remedy will be new pack and total costs 18k (seems a lot and triple worth of car). Could very well be possible problem will start again when stressing the pack a bit more.

When I open Canion now, this is what I see:

Screenshot-2019-10-14-10-03-17-2.png

What do you guys make out of all this? The 12v battery? Tomorrow I'll have a chat with the right mechanic...

Thanks!!!

Hannes80 said:
At the garage today. Mechanic wasn't there but managed to use Canion.

After putting the car in drive and holding the brake the voltages started going up and down pretty random:

Screenshot-2019-10-14-09-59-56-2.png
I don't see a problem here - the spread between different cells is only 5mV - the minimum cell voltage measurement precision is 5mV so that's just "off by one error". So nothing at all wrong in the screenshot you posted - it's normal to see the cell voltages dance up and down by 5mV.

If there a faulty cell or significant imbalance between cells you're not going to see it way up at 70% charge - you'd have to run it down to about 20-30% SoC to see any imbalance.

Did you get the Ah figure from the first screen ? That one is of critical importance and will give you a good idea of the overall health of the pack.

Those cells are all in line within 0.005 volts--that is great and nothing bad about your pack.

i suspect the 12V aux battery may be the culprit.

kiev said:
Those cells are all in line within 0.005 volts--that is great and nothing bad about your pack.

i suspect the 12V aux battery may be the culprit.
Not necessarily great. Mine are within 5mV at 70% as well. But at 20% they differ by nearly 150mV which corresponds to a nearly 7Ah difference between best and worst cells in the pack.

No conclusions can be drawn at 70%.

The only useful information is the reported Ah figure and the voltage spread at a low SoC like 20% neither of which the post above show.

I have the car back and it suddenly works. Not really reassuring... Time for some testing for real!

"Did you get the Ah figure from the first screen ? That one is of critical importance and will give you a good idea of the overall health of the pack."

Do you mean "Ah History"?

Do you know the condition of the 12-volt aux battery--is it the original or has it been changed out recently? a weak, old or worn out aux battery can cause issues such as this. If it is the original, it is likely worn out and should be replaced, even if it shows 12.5 volts with a multimeter.

Hannes80 said:
I have the car back and it suddenly works. Not really reassuring... Time for some testing for real!

"Did you get the Ah figure from the first screen ? That one is of critical importance and will give you a good idea of the overall health of the pack."

Do you mean "Ah History"?
No, Ah is at the bottom of the very first page with the Wh/mile driving statistics etc.

If you don't see it, tap on the left hand side of a blank line to customise the display data and choose to add Ah to the display.

The Ah history graph isn't that useful as it's just a bar graph that is too coarse to show the precision needed.

Update!

Strangest thing, no problem anymore!!!

So I went from 18000 euro battery replacement offer to a 100 euro "repair".

I did drive through some, not so deep, water. Could that have caused the issue?

I'm happy again and know where to find you guys and girls in the future. Thanks for the help!!!

Back