Electric Motor Warning Light

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisEV

Hello everyone,

I've got an odd problem with my 2012 i-MIEV.

Not too long ago I had intermittent trouble starting my car. Since it has a new 12V battery so I didn't think it was that and after troubleshooting it turns out the positive battery terminal was somewhat corroded and wasn't making proper contact. I got a new one from Amazon and replaced and cleaned the terminals and everything is good.

But now the Electric Motor Warning Light is on, I believe it came on shortly before I disconnected the 12v battery to start testing.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that this is normal and you need to reset the codes in the computer, is that the case?

The car itself seems fine. I took it for a run around the block and plugged it in and its charging fine.

Even though its charging the light is still on.

Would I need to get a hold of the MUT3 to diagnose this or reset it?

I guess I could take it to the dealer but I am thinking they'll charge me a lot for a trivial task.

Thanks in advance.

Howdy Chris,

i have experienced a loose positive terminal before--it seems that the clamp design is fairly weak and flaky considering the importance. Vibration causes it loosen up over time and that is not a good thing for these cars.

It may be that you could remove the negative terminal for an hour and the DTC will reset. Check the voltage and charge the 12V Aux if necessary. Always remove negative terminal first off, and last going back on.

I've had the entire battery disconnected for way more than an hour and it's still on. At this point I am worried there's something else going on. I might have to get the diagnostic code from the car.

And yes that positive clamp is bad. It wasn't corroded very much at all but the connection was loose. I just replaced it and it's super tight now. The car starts every time no problem.

I tested the battery, it's at 12.7V, just got it earlier this year.

I used Hobdrive to reset the DTC and everything is fine. Had no idea it can do that!

Noticed my BMU thinks I have 45Ah capacity so I will have to drive around until the capacity corrects itself. Battery was disconnected for so long it reset.

When I first got my second i-MiEV, the 12 volt battery got run down and we tried to start it. The failed start latched the warning light. Nothing wrong with the car, just one of those things that needs a manual clear with a programmer.

Back