Cold Zone Package - i.e. battery warmer

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sschafer7

Does anyone know exactly how the battery warmer works for cold climates?

I live in Peoria IL where we may have 20+ nights where the low is between 0 - 10 degrees, but only a few below zero.

I pre-ordered my i-MiEV and thus didn't have the opportunity to get a "cold zone package" (battery heater + heated mirrors). I've now had my i-MiEV 2 months, and love it (but the coldest it experienced was 30 degrees).

I've taken the issue up with the dealership and the national office (do do something, like replace the entire car) since I didn't have a choice and the website now (months after I ordered & got the car) "strongly recommends" a heater in our region.

However, the dealer, after some investigation, has explained how the battery heater really works, and if what they say is accurate, I probably don't need it.

I'd like to verify its operating parameters (and in the interests of good science, not say exactly what they said). So, back to the original question, does anyone know exactly how the battery warmer works? when does it kick in? how much control does the owner have? how necessary is it? etc.?

thanks for any insights.

s.schafer

i have the cold package on my car but i have not ran the car in the winter yet so i can not tell you how it works. But i would hope when the car is plugged in it would heat the pack some for sure when things get 20 or less. Then when the car is sitting not plugged in i would think it will use a little power every so often to heat the pack a little. I looked at it in the manual but it did not give much detail.

I know i did not really answer your question but no one else has replayed yet.

I can't remember where, but I read somewhere that the battery warmer only kicks in if the temp goes below -13 or -17F. Maybe someone else can confirm that. I've also read that if you have the Chaedemo charging option, you also have the battery warmer.

Back