6.8 miles driven after turtle

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradleydavidgood777

I had an interesting day of driving the lectric car. Went to work in Philly, charged up for free in my paid parking spot. Came home, charged up some at home, took a friend to the airport, ran some other errands. Played it just right and had 2 bars left. Used one on some local stuff later.

So decided to run it out. Drove around the block for a while that night. After 1 mile range remaining left, the display showed "---". And then the turtle light came on.

I drove about 3 miles and parked it.

Next morning mid morning I had some more time...

I continued around the block for a total of 6.2 miles in a direction where I could coast home. Mostly low energy driving, mimicking how I would be driving in an actual "running out" situation. Sometimes I would give it full power just to see if it was limiting power. It was not.

At 6.2 miles after zero/turtle, I felt a limitation kick in. After that the car would only go slow - maybe 5-10mph. I drove like this until 6.8 miles after zero. Then it wouldn't go any more.

I put on my hazards and saw a huge black SUV in back of me. So I got out and went to the window, the young woman looked at me with fear like I was going to car jack her and would not roll down her window - she said "I can hear you". This is mid morning in front of the Bar Association/lawyer district in the safest town around...People are so funny...I can't imagine living like that. I explained that I couldn't go forward and needed to roll back and asked if she could move out of the way please. She unhappily did. I rolled into my spot and charged it back up.

So, nice to know I have that much cushion. 2017 model.

As you put more miles on the car and the battery ages, that 'cushion' will grow smaller and smaller, so don't count on all of it should you actually need it one day in the future. Mitsu hides some of the battery degradation in that area. I did 6 miles at 45 mph with one of our cars once . . . . when they were nearly new. I know for a fact it wouldn't do that now

Don

Yup, understood, thanks. I just realized that with that cushion I should be able to approach 100 miles. I'll have to do that trip to my other friend's shore house. I think it is 93 and I have been avoiding it but now feel comfortable.

Anybody tried with czero/ion go under line --- or for emergency or student mode as they prefer say.

I tryed to 0 bar / 5km left yesterday. It was 15% battery left. All ok exept i got dcdc error on start of chademo. Anyway it got cleared itself.

Today i went to 0 km and it was 10% and still 3.75v for cells.

I quess czero/ion can really drive quite empty because OEM/factory limited battety. 16kwh but 14.5 on use. 95% battery was 4.12v

Back