kiev

Re: No READY. P1A15 error. Condenser charge timeout.

Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:24 am

What is the open circuit voltage reading of your 12V aux battery? What are the reading when the key is turned to ACC and ON and START positions?

This DTC code can be commonly caused by a weak, worn or old aux battery, so this must be ruled out before digging into the contactors. It is not a good idea to energize the contactors, there are large capacitors on the HV buss that can cause high inrush currents that will damage the precious metal points of the contactors.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

gczero

Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:38 pm

With the Manual Service Disconnect plug removed, there should not be any be any circuit that would allow the HV bus capacitance to be charged, other than the high impedance of the test lead/meter. The impedance of the test lead and meter is 5MOhms 15pF so not anticipating any contactor damage. Let me know if there is a flaw in this approach.

I have tried testing with the one month old auxiliary battery charged up to 12.9 volts with the key off, 12.7 volts at the EVECU according to HOBDRIVE. I'm going to use a large external 60Ah battery for testing going forwards and will confirm voltage levels throughout the 12v with Fluke recorder.

kiev

Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:56 pm

Good news on the 12V aux.

Are you able to read DTCs--are there any other than the P1A15?

There are codes related to the main contactors which would likely get thrown if they were faulty.

If you pull the seat to get to the main disconnect sometimes the airbag DTC gets set. Those folks that have done this can reply if the car will run with SRS codes, seems that only dealer tool can reset SRS.

i can't remember anyone having a faulty main contactor, but if this car is new to you and unknown previous history, and possibly not running when you got it, then checking the main contactors as you have described will help to rule them out as culprits. Also most of us here have very little to no experience with the 2017 model, which could have different circuitry, DTCs, control logic, etc.

Will the car charge? Is the 20A fuse in the MCU okay?

gczero

Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:24 pm

Hi Kiev,

Car was purchased new by me so I have all the history.

When the problem started back December last year, I connected up Citroen/Peugeot Diagbox tool (offline version) and read all the ECUs. Only DTCs were P1A15 and U1113. The car has always had U1113, there is a note in Diagbox to ignore this code.

I suspect something on the EVECU or upstream of the EVECU: the reason being the I can't hear any clacks from the contactors (after clearing DTCs)

My approach will be to confirm that the contactors actual energise (proving traction battery pack precharge resistor, HV wiring to MCU-Inverter, HV battery pack main fuse. Then I will record the C105, C106, C107 ECU outputs on a start and see which if any are energised.

If the negative contactor and precharge contactor do NOT energise, the problem is definitely in the EVECU or upstream. If they do, but the positive contactor does not energise, its time to isolate the heater, aircon and OBC in case of HV fault leakage. If the car still does not go into ready (still does not energise the positive main contactor), its time to start measuring the "condensor" voltage rise and compare a directly measured value with the value the EVECU is reporting.

Thats the general approach, any advice much appreciated

kiev

Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:27 am

Wouldn't your 2017 still be under warranty?

gczero

Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:19 pm

In the UK Citroen offered 3 years warranty in the car and possibly 8 years on the battery. But I would like to know what component is faulty before entering the warranty rabbit hole.

gczero

Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:18 pm

Another I've just checked is fuse number 4 from the fusebox by drivers right foot RHD cars. This fuse is described as a "starter" fuse and provides power to the EVECU. Anyhow it was good : another thing checked off.

gczero

Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:47 pm

Hi a small update, heavy snow here so not ideal for doing any testing on the HV side of things.

On the low voltage, I've removed and checked the permanent supply fuse to the EVECU (this is actually the interior courtesy light supply fuse). Also the Supervisory Controller supply fuse (this is the ignition switched supply to the EVECU). I had a theory that there was a bad connection in the 12v supply to the EVECU. So I hooked up a 2 channel scope to the 12v auxillary battey (Channel A) and the 3rd pin on the EVECU, light geen wire 36V connector (Channel B). Static voltages were about 12.1v on the 12v battery, about 11.9v on the EVECU switched supply. When I switched to "start", voltages dropped and the lowest seen at EVECU switched supply was 10.73 volts with coincident 11.84 at the 12v auxillary battery positive terminal. There was a bit of clunking coming from the contactors I had set the sampling time on the scope at 50ms but with a bit more reading up on various DC high voltage contactors, have learnt that these operate typically at timescales less than 25ms including bounce. So next time will sample at 10ms.

So I've now convinced myself to try the same measurement but with a different newer bigger auxillary battery, just to rule out any 12v supply issues.

If this does not make any difference, next move will be disconnect PTC heater and AC compressor, as already suggested.

Czerodk

Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:33 am

Hi just a little input

Condensator change cycle

With error

No error, (with 2Mohm risistor)

gczero

Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:43 pm

Interesting post.

What is the timebase of the voltage rise graphs.?

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”