coulomb

Re: Troubleshooting and repair for On-board Charger (OBC), DC-DC Converter

Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:59 pm

clovi wrote:Seems that KIEV/Coulomb do it?

Just be aware that I live in Australia, and don't own an iMiEV. Shipping from the USA to and from Australia would be totally impractical. Especially in the Covid era.

nuggetgalore

Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:18 am

Hi all,
good news : chargger fixed.
Thanks to all for the tremendous help from the contributors here and on the AEVA fora and also the fuse one

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4310

Yes the fuse(s) from Mitsubishi were "only" 28 bucks each, not bad considering the other not so easy and more expensive options.
The replacement of the caps ( I ordered four from RS in case I break them at a first attempt) needed steady hands and a bit of bush craft experience. I'm quite proud of myself,lol.

Now that my chargger and the 12V DC-DC converter are working again, I am wondering what every bodies thoughts are to prevent this to happen again (resp prevent it happen to the other iMiEVs that get a bit long in the tooth.
By the way, I checked my two J1772_ cables I use mostly for charging. The resistance between the earth pin and pin PP (plug present or proximity pilot) is the correct 150 Ohms when locked and the additional 300 Ohm (450 total) when the release trigger is pressed. Pressing the release trigger terminates charging immediately as I can observe on an analog current clamp meter. As I have repeatedly not charged the battery to completely full, aborting the charging with a timer, obviously the termination would not have been commanded by the pin PP signal. If that contributed to the weakening of the 20A fuse and or the caps is one of the questions that are worth answering. Of course the same abrupt disconnect of the
240 VAC could happen if the grid failed, but that would not happen very often.
Other reasons may be a poor auxiliary battery, just old age or what do you think?
From now on I will endeavour to let the car to end charging or let the 450 Ohm resister command the charge end.
Maybe if the corona lookdown drags on, I find time to modify the plug with a micro relay so the timer (PLC) can open and shut the 450 Ohm resister circuit? One has to have dreams.....

Cheers and keep safe,

kiev

Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:43 am

clovi wrote:...
Thanks to all you guys, I could open the box.
I can see both white resistors burned and probably 1 of the big capacitors, I think.
Could I send this to someone to fix? I don't have the knowledge and/or tools to do it.

Where are you located?

If you were able to open the box, then i think you have the skills to also remove the circuit boards from the box.

It would be much less weight for shipping if required, but the other option would be to take the board to a TV or Electronics Repair shop in your local area. They would have the tools and knowledge to replace the parts.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

clovi2

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:05 am

kiev wrote:
Where are you located?

If you were able to open the box, then i think you have the skills to also remove the circuit boards from the box.

Hi KIEV.
Thanks for the fast response.
I'm in Leesburg, VA. Seems not far from you.
I already opened the box and took the PCB out. I am really grateful for all your help with all the posts, pictures, etc...
Yes, I can ship to you, if you're willing to fix.
You can send me a private message. I opened another account (clovi2). For some reason, my previous membership name (clovi) doesn't work.

One more time, thanks for all your help.

Clovis

clovi2

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:25 am

Hi everyone.
I just spoke with KIEV minutes ago.
He told me that the converter now has a 10-year warranty. Would it be possible for someone to get a photo of this document?
Thanks one more time. Thanks KIEV. You guys are awesome.

Cheers,

Clovis

clovi2

Sat May 30, 2020 7:19 pm

HI everyone.
Thanks to Kiev's info., I could get a warranty on the On-board Charger (OBC), DC-DC Converter.
One more time, my dealer Renn Kirby Mitsu in Frederick, MD call their Mitsu rep., received the part, perform the service and delivered the car.
I'm thankful for Kiev's call, information and help. Thanks also to Mitsu and their case manager Grafton, to Renn Kirby and their service manager John and their tech Russel. They are all great people.

Cheers,

Clovis

Turnik79

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:55 pm

Hello everyone. Someone can measure the C545 rating. It is located on the back of the top board. Thanks in advance. After OBC repair, there was error U111D. Found a burnt out element C545
https://imgur.com/D1KBjS5

coulomb

Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:09 pm

Turnik79 wrote:Found a burnt out element C545

Eek. Judging by the thick track that appears to be leading from it, and its proximity to the chip, I'd guess it's a supply bypass capacitor. For that to burn, I'd expect a lot more carnage elsewhere, unfortunately.

Good luck!

kiev

Voltage Monitoring Chip

Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:52 pm

IC509 is an MB3793 Power Voltage Monitoring ic from Fujitsu.

"A reset signal is output when the power is cut or falls abruptly. When the power recovers normally after resetting, a power-on reset signal is output to microprocessor units (MPUs). An internal watchdog timer with two inputs for system operation diagnosis can provide a fall-safe function for various application systems."

The C545 is a decoupling capacitor between the 5V Vcc and ground. The chip draws very little current, 31uA, nominally after power-on reset.

The value of the capacitor could not be measured in circuit due to all the electrolytic capacitance holding up the 5V buss on the top side of the board; maybe i can lift the part tomorrow and get a reading. i don't think it is a critical value like the capacitors on pins 2 and 3 which set the timing for the monitoring. i think you could use a 0.1 or 1 uF cap and the circuit would function if the chip was not damaged.

What happened to your capacitor--was it shorted or did it get blown off the board? Was there an overvoltage event associated with the failure? If shorted it would prevent the Vcc from rising and the micro wouldn't be turned on.

The same chip is also used on the Laef OBC as IC509, and it uses 2 decoupling caps, C545 and C730, and a ferrite bead, FB506, on the 5V to Vcc.

Example usage:
Last edited by kiev on Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

Turnik79

Re: Voltage Monitoring Chip

Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:39 pm

kiev wrote:

What happened to your capacitor--was it shorted or did it get blown off the board? Was there an overvoltage event associated with the failure? If shorted it would prevent the Vcc from rising and the micro wouldn't be turned on.

a vertical board was blown up (replaced with blue caps) and a 20A fuse in the MCU. also replaced by 20A for solar panels. OBC now works well, but there is no slow charging.
s545 burned and torn off the board

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”