kiev

Snubber Cap Solder Repair Pictures

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:59 am

This was my final selection, i used the larger diameter 6kV-rated caps.

Cut slots in the walls of the doghouse plastic to route the leads to the PO and NO solder joints from the waffle plate.

Coated the inside of the doghouse with liquid electrical tape compound from home depot.

Carefully bent the leads while holding with needle nose pliers to not break the epoxy blends on the snubber caps.

Wrapped leads around the solder joints and then soldered it all together.

Coated everything with the tape compound. Waiting for it to dry, i think this will work and is a fairly easy repair from inside the OBC.

No need to remove the OBC from the car, nor the board from the box. i did not disconnect the service plug nor the 12V Aux, but i did remove the MCU fuse and disconnected the CAN buss plug from the OBC. i used a voltmeter to check and verify that there was no voltage present from the pack to the MCU during this procedure.

soldering completed:

smothered and covered (wafflehouse slang) in the doghouse:
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

kiev

OBC and MCU Re-assembly (in "a thousand words")

Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:56 am

After soldering in the snubber caps, here is everything opened up:

The top board must go back in:

Slide the ribbon into the thin slot until it snaps:

Screw in the top board, connect the tabs:

CAN buss connector and AC mains lugs:

All done and ready for the cover plate:

i just put a thin coat of grease along the sealing surface of the OBC and MCU access covers to seal the joint and keep out dirt and moisture.
Last edited by kiev on Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Malte

Re: Troubleshooting and repair for On-board Charger (OBC), DC-DC Converter

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:15 pm

Yikes! That's the first time I've heard of someone blowing components in the Waffle Plate™. You're a pioneer! :o

Ok, I'm proud to be a pioneer, but it does not feel very good here :cry:

coulomb

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:40 pm

Kiev, re the photo with the saw: nice "hacking" (almost literally :D ).

Would it not be possible to suck the solder from the holes from above with a desoldering station, and solder in the new parts from above? I guess many people don't have access to a desoldering station, but patient use of a solder sucker might do it. Or just leave the solder in the holes, and ease the new capacitors in a millimeter or two at a time, alternating sides.

I worry about clearance to other tracks with all those long leads.

coulomb

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:53 pm

Kiev,

re the temporary fuse: what's the thinking there? I'm really uncomfortable with a piece of wire to protect a 360 VDC circuit, even temporarily.

Especially when you've just been poking around and changing things.

kiev

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:57 pm

Good point, i didn't have a replacement fuse so made the jumper for test purposes, but probably not a recommended practice.

So i thought it should be fixed, but no such luck.

i was able to start to READY, and drive the car, but still getting the same DTCs when trying to chargge. The fan and water pump run briefly as normal before chargging, but the start command is not sent according to monitoring with i909 scantool.

P1A12 - abnormal OBC stop. i909 will clear this EV-ECU code but it comes back. i909 will not read or clear OBC codes.

P0A09 - DCDC converter fail (1). i909 will clear this EV-ECU code but it comes back.

The Aux voltage was on the low side at 12.2 V, but came up to 14.1 when the car went to READY or the EVSE was plugged in.

So the DCDC converter is actually working, but the EV-ECU throws a DTC that it is failed.

Maybe these are leftover DTCs that are not really being cleared by the scantool, and require a real MUT ?

DBMandrake

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:08 am

fabele wrote:Thans for helping me.
I will check the 12 V battery and the 14.6 V in the ready state , but i think it must be in good condition, as it drives the other electic parts such as, e-windows ...
The EVSE is checked with other EV and it works fine.
The main (tracking) battery is not empty ( 25 km is available) , and the car can be driven without any problem. I can go for a ChaDemo charger and this helps to know that OBC is ok or not.
Today i opened the metal cover of the drive system and all the boxes looked nice, but one of them must be wrong. I know which is the OBC box but it is sealed nicely and i was not daring enough to open it. Before open it what to do for safety. ( inside of the box the 360 V is there).
The MCU ( the motor control unit ?) is just right on the top of the motor? If the car funtioning perfectly can this MCU 20 A fuse blown?
Opening any box what is the best way to make a perfect insulation after fixing the problem? ( if i do it wrong it may cause serius problems to the electronics).
It will not be easy to find a new capacitors if this will be the problem, (maybe e bay?)
Ferenc

Before you go too much further measure the AC voltage at the property where the EVSE is installed. (I assume your house ?)

These cars will not charge if the AC voltage is above about 247 volts, which I consider to be a design flaw. I don't know about where you are but here in the UK AC mains voltage is allowed to go as high as 252 volts and still be within specification and this will prevent the car charging.

I found this the hard way when our usually 235 volts AC went up to 249 volts for one day last year during very bad winter weather, (some sort of national grid supply problem) and the car would refuse to charge with the same symptoms you report - appearing to start charging at first including the fan running but aborting after a few seconds.

I thought the on board charger was faulty at first but after finding fault codes logged in the OBC that reported the mains AC voltage was too high I realised what was going on. I was able to start a charge by turning on the electric shower in the house to pull the AC voltage down slightly! :twisted: The following day the voltage was back to normal and the car has charged without problems since.

It's probably not your issue but it's something easy to rule out first. If your AC voltage is on the high side, try driving to a Level 2 charger at another location and trying the car there.

Another thing I would check is to make sure the gear lever is properly engaging in park mode and doesn't feel "springy". If it doesn't fully engage in park this will cause the P to flash on the dashboard when the key is on and the car also will not charge. I've had that problem before too! Solved by lubricating the linkages on the left hand side of the gearbox that go to the bowden cable for the gear lever. Also probably not your issue but worth ruling out.
- Simon

EV: 2011 Peugeot Ion
ICE: 1997 Citroen Xantia V6

wmcbrine

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:05 am

DBMandrake wrote:These cars will not charge if the AC voltage is above about 247 volts ... appearing to start charging at first including the fan running but aborting after a few seconds.

Oh, man. Now I'm wondering if my OpenEVSE didn't go bad after all, and I just had high voltage that day. Thanks.

ronna

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:21 am

HI

have the same problem as Kiev
New snupper caps ,mcu fuse ok ,charging on Chademo ok
Aux Battery new 13,0 V No Ready with Ready 14,4 V
Normal startup with AC charging and shutdown after 10 sec

someone who has found the solution

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”