obrother

Failed traction battery. How many weeks does Mitsubishi make you wait?

Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:31 pm

You can add me to the list of imiev's with a failed battery. Cell 81of my 2012 took a big dive in voltage at 49700 km's. Mitsubishi is making me wait for their decision to approve the warranty claim. The car to me is totally unreliable for use and they will not supply a loaner car until the replacement is approved. I have already been waiting one week. So how many weeks is typical that Mitsubishi makes you pay for a rental car before they approve the replacement traction battery?
Last edited by obrother on Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don
Site Moderator

Re: Failed traction battery. How many weeks does Mitsubishi make you wait?

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:23 pm

I don't know . . . . but I would bet you that it varies some from location to location - Not all dealers are equally (in)efficient :lol:

It appears at least you were easily able to get your car to a dealer who can fix it - That's a 110 mile trip for me. Thankfully, Mitsubishi has paid to have them towed there when they needed recalls - Somehow I doubt that will happen when one of our batteries goes south

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

obrother

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:58 am

It was cold when I brought it to the dealer. I didn't use electric heat at all. I doubt I would have made it using electric heat. My dash was lit up with the amber exclamation light and traction control lights as well. The dealer offered me my car back to use as I wait for approval... but it's not them driving it with the 'crap your pants' feeling the way it is. Each time I charge it the range is significantly less. And the range quickly drops as you start driving it after a charge. I will be calling Mitsubishi Service tomorrow (monday) to see if I can speed up the process or at least find out how long I need a rental car. Weekly rates are cheaper if you know how long you need the car. It shouldn't be my problem getting a loaner car...they should be providing it. I should have had approval the same day I brought my car into the dealer. Two days at the very most Mitsubishi should have approved the replacement of the traction battery. It's not my dealer that's the problem... it's Mitsubishi corporate. Seeing how 2012's are failing we might as well all know what to expect and get the story out for other forum members.
Last edited by obrother on Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phb10186

Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:27 pm

obrother wrote:It was cold when I brought it back. I didn't use electric heat at all. I doubt I would have made it using electric heat. My dash was lit up with the amber exclamation light and traction control lights as well. The dealer offered me my car back to use as I wait for approval... but it's not them driving it with the 'crap your pants' feeling the way it is. Each time I charge it the range is significantly less. And the range quickly drops as you start driving it after a charge. I will be calling Mitsubishi Service tomorrow (monday) to see if I can speed up the process or at least find out how long I need a rental car. Weekly rates are cheaper if you know how long you need the car. It shouldn't be my problem getting a loaner car...they should be providing it. I should have had approval the same day I brought my car into the dealer. Two days at the very most Mitsubishi should have approved the replacement of the traction battery. It's not my dealer that's the problem... it's Mitsubishi corporate. Seeing how 2012's are failing we might as well all know what to expect and get the story out for other forum members.

Sorry to hear about this. I hope that you get your replacement pack that you deserve. It is still a pretty uncommon event to have a failed pack, as we only really hear about the failed ones, not all the cars that are fine, which sort of skews the perception - however, it is true there have been a few '12 pack failures recently...

Would love to have the failure rate data from Mitsubishi - though that's never going to get out...

I had a similar issue with my wife's Insight, where the CVT transmission failed under warranty, and though I won't dwell on it too much - it's really the inconvenience and uncertainty that's the worst of it all. Though I did have the transmission replaced after a fight. So my advice to you is stick up for what you know you should be getting.

Get in touch with Mitsubishi directly, if you fear the dealership isn't pulling their weight - and better still, take it to the best dealer you can find earlier rather than later. I am starting to believe that where there is any possible doubt, the dealer that sells a lot of cars for the manufacturer is likely to get a better outcome than one that doesn't.... so from now on, I take my cars to the largest and best reviewed dealerships I can find, and I am sure there is a difference there.

Couldn't get anywhere with my local Honda dealer with the Insight, took it to the largest Honda dealership in Europe (which is not too far from me in London), and suffice to say, there is a massive difference in what can be decided.
2012 I-MIEV Keiko Silver 16K
2010 Insight ES-T 43K
2001 Accord Type-V (F23 manual)
2009 Hornet CB600F
2008 SH300

adam

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:53 am

I had the same issue recently on my 2012 i-miev. I had to wait 5 weeks total before we got Japan team's approval.

more details here: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3877&start=12

obrother

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:44 pm

I just got off the phone with Mitsubishi Canada customer service... they gave me the runaround. They said they can't help me and that I can only be helped by the dealership. The dealership can't tell me anything because they are waiting for approval from Mitsubishi engineering in Japan. No one can tell me anything but wait... and that's it. I'm fairly confident the battery will be replaced but leaving me hanging waiting for who knows how long without a car is just not right. The 'waiting for approval' is a tactic they are using. It was very clear to me in the way the customer service rep. kept telling me "again... I would ask you to refer to your dealership"... he kept saying it for everything I said. I'm guessing the replacement traction battery is on order... but no one can tell you that for sure. So for anyone who will need a replacement traction battery replacement under warranty be prepared to provide your own transport while you wait. And while I wait... anyone know if these replacement batteries are the newer lev50n brand new packs or repaired/refurbished ones? It looks like it will cost me around $1000 for a rental car for the 'warranty' repair. I can't remember now what is the point of owning an electric car anymore!

My thanks to member "adam" for letting us know you had to wait 5 weeks.

adam

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:47 am

I had to do a few round trips but Mitsubishi St-Eustache always provided me a loaner car, I only had to pay for the gas.

ed5000

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:01 am

It took Mitsubishi about a week to analyze my battery and make a decision and then two weeks and a day to do all the work of the change out itself. This was last March and I think being in Northern California probably helped speed things up. The service manager also said that Mitsubishi had to send them a "battery dolly" (as well as the battery itself) and that there was only one available in the USA. So I believe anything less than a month is doing good.

I think the only thing anyone can do under the circumstances is try to be positive and try to help the dealer in any way you can. Also think about public transportation if you can. I did and I ended up liking it.
2012 ES, Cool Metalic Silver, no quick charge, no fog lights and no navi but a cold weather package for when it gets 13 below, wait - it never gets that cold here.
"Silver Shadow"

RobbW

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:13 am

I just got my 2012 back from the dealership last night following a main battery replacement. It took them three weeks to the day from when I first dropped my Meepster off at the dealership to being able to pick her back up. I'm guessing I got lucky, and my Mitsu dealership is one of the better ones. It is Bigger's Mitsubishi in Elgin, IL. They gave me absolutely no trouble whatsoever with any part of the repair. I didn't have to do anything other than drop it off.

It took the service department about two days of charging/discharging the battery to determine they had duplicated my complaint and that there really was an issue. They contacted the Tech Engineers at Mitsubishi, who advised a "smoothing" procedure. That didn't work. So, Mitsubishi authorized the warranty replacement of the battery. Took about a week to get the new battery pack delivered, and then another week to get the specialized lift and tools, of which there are only 5 sets in all off the USA that Mitsu just ships around to the different dealerships when they need them.

I have no complaints about the work my dealership did. They kept me in the loop and took care of everything including providing a loaner vehicle the whole time. After my experience, I am surprised that other dealerships would give owners such a hard time and make it so difficult to get a warranty replacement. I don't understand why they would make it so complicated and difficult for the owner. The only thing I can guess at is that dealerships aren't so keen on iMiEV owners because they make absolutely no revenue off them after the initial sale of the vehicle. Our service and regular maintenance needs are next to zero. So, the only time they ever see us is when there is a recall or something is seriously wrong with the vehicle and is likely a warranty issue.
Clear Skies,
Robb

EV: 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE, Raspberry Metallic, Premium Package - Purchased 07/11/13
PHEV: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica eHybrid, Bright White, Platinum Package - Purchased 05/01/17

obrother

Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:36 am

Just an update. The dealer contacted my last week while I was away on vacation. I just spoke with them today and now they are saying that because of my diesel parking heater mitsubishi may not cover my battery warranty claim. Mitsubishi requires 5 more hours of testing to see if t my diesel heater is what is the cause of my failing cell 81 on the battery pack. The 5 hours of further testing is at my cost. This must me a joke right? Not... the electric heater uses what 5or 6kw of power and my little heater uses almost nothing. This situation may be heading in the direction of a lawsuit... anyone know of an engineer in the electric car field that can testify in court in the Toronto Ontario Canada area? So the question ... Does Mitsubishi show kindness to early adopters/enthusiasts of its electric vehicles? or will they find any way to they can to get out of any warranties ...advertised to persuade consumers to purchase their vehicles?

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”