adam

Re: Feb 2012 Miev with Pack Trouble at 40k miles

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:25 pm

I called today and the dealer don't know if the new battery pack is brand new or refurbished. He confirmed that the warranty period is not reset.

kiev

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:41 pm

So i took my car in last monday, dec 11, and today i got a call from the dealer that the 3 outstanding recalls had been done and that indeed cell #47 seemed to not be working properly. Now they need me to fill out the questionnaire and they will send to Mits for disposition of getting a new pack.

What was interesting is that he said the dolly tool package had been shipped and was expected to come in tomorrow, but it was not for me--little did i know that they have another car in the shop for a pack replacement that was in line before me...i hope they can get a pack in for me quickly and just hang on to the dolly a bit, but of course there could be other folks waiting across the country and will just ship it right back out.

i asked about what happens to the old packs, and if i could buy it, especially since i knew the car and the history of my pack--as opposed to buying an unknown pack out of a wrecked car. Eventually we are going to need a supply of cells to swap out individually when packs are no longer under warranty. He said there wasn't even a price listed for a pack in his parts order system, and doubted that they would want to sell it due to liability issues. Also a separate company handles the pack recycling, it is not done directly by Mits.

Maybe i can get some pictures of the tools and the pack swap for the other car in the shop tomorrow...
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

kiev

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:41 pm

No pictures of the dolly tools because they weren't delivered today, although i saw the pack for the other car.

The story for her car was a little cloudy, something about it wasn't charging for over a year, that it was no longer under warranty, that she used oversized tires which threw a code and caused the mileage to be incorrect, but somehow they got Mits to replace the pack...? sounds so bizarre, i hope i get to meet her and get her side of the story.

Here is a copy of the 2-page Customer Interview Sheet that they use for the iMiev when there are problems with the little electric car, and it covers more than just pack problems, although that is the primary focus.

edited to use the higher res versions:
Last edited by kiev on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Hmm, looks like a more-refined version of the questionnaire I filled three years ago when the battery pack on my used i-MiEV failed soon after I bought it - I didn't have the presence of mind to ask for a copy. I did, however, insist that the dealer attach my detailed account of the failure progression and the fact that I had bought the car from someone who lived in Bakersfield (VERY hot in summer) and routinely left the car plugged in charging fully every day while at work with the car outside in the hot sun.

Kenny, could you maybe provide a link to a high-res version of that customer interview form? I seem to recall a number of the questions being somewhat inane.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

kiev

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm

i got word today that a new pack was ordered for kiev1 on December 28, and that the pack tool kit has been delivered to their shop. They have another pack sitting near the lift that was previously ordered for the white miev owned by a woman who works downtown right across the street from the free Level3 Chademo charging station.

Piev was charging his car down there yesterday, and she saw his miev and walked over to talk to him. She was quited surprised to find that she could have been charging her car there. In addition he verified the story that she was using oversize tires and the flack that Mits gave her when trying to get the pack replaced--even though she had bought the car new plus the extended 7-yr warranty--maybe it affects the odometer such that the mileage limit for the warranty could have been exceeded or unknown?

Her range is down to 35 miles but it is sufficient for her driving needs, so she hasn't been back in to have the pack replaced yet. The service manager said they would do mine first once the pack was delivered since she is still driving and not in a hurry for the swap

JoeS
Site Moderator

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:10 pm

kiev, looking very promising! Be sure to measure the 'new' battery pack capacity right after you get it, and then keep an eye on it to see when/if your i-MiEV recalibrates.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

jray3

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Kiev, thanks for an informative thread, and I'd love to hear more of that mystery woman's story. Oversize tires would under-report mileage by a few %, but If 35 miles of range and no fast-charging has been meeting her needs, I doubt she'd be high on our megamiler list.
What tires has she been running? The only alternative I've wondered about on 15" rims (besides the rear tires on all 4 corners) would be 165/80 R15 as on aircooled VWs.
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 96,000 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

kiev

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Good News--my raspberry jelly bean got a new pack today. The tool kit was delivered around dec 22, and my pack was ordered on dec 28. Not sure when it came in, but they changed 2 packs this week, hers and mine.

The range meter indicated 82 miles and i connected the i909 MUT-clone to read Current Capacity as 45.20 A-hr and Remaining Capacity at 44.60 A-hr.

i will go talk to her and find out the story about the tires. i saw her car over the weekend, but didn't think to get a picture of the tires (it was a silver car and i thought hers was white)

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”