gisli

Extra battery connection

Sun May 28, 2017 7:11 am

I am working on a project with I-Miev car, I have built 6 kWh removable battery to extend the range of the car.

I connected the extra battery with 322 V direct to the motor inverter. The car at that moment was in "Ready mode" with car batteries exactly at 322 V. My plan was to charge the batteries together in parallel connection. Then I turned the car to ACC and LOCK mode to charge it.
But it didn´t charge. After unplugging my extra battery the car is still not charging and does not come to "Ready mode".

I guess that when the car status changed from Ready to ACC mode the motor inverter still had the extra battery connected with 322 V, then the EV/ECU detected an error that creates the actual situation.

I have the OBDLink LX adapter and use the CaniOn and EvBatMon apps.

Does anybody knows any app to read error codes from the EV/ECU?
Does anyone have experience using MUT3 to read and erase error codes?
Has anyone bought a Chinese version of MUT3?

kiev

Re: Extra battery connection

Sun May 28, 2017 8:29 am

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located? Does your car have the Chademo charge port?

That is a very interesting experiment you are doing, please share how you get this resolved.

You may want to look thru the forum on previous experiments by other members and how they did this.

Good luck to you.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

Don
Site Moderator

Sun May 28, 2017 8:40 am

gisli wrote:I guess that when the car status changed from Ready to ACC mode the motor inverter still had the extra battery connected with 322 V, then the EV/ECU detected an error that creates the actual situation.
I would guess that . . . . you're probably right - You did something the car didn't like, which was probably predictable. Exactly what that might be is a good question. I hope it doesn't turn out to be expensive to resolve. Hopefully it's just an error which needs to be reset and not something you've burned up

Do you have a dealer nearby who can connect the MUT3 and give you a definitive answer? I think that would be a smart next move

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sun May 28, 2017 9:31 am

Gisli, understand what you did and admire you for trying. I am so sorry the car reacted this way.

It is a pity that you were not able to attach your external battery directly to the i-MiEV's active (pre-contactor) HV terminals - I presume you do not have CHAdeMO?

I believe what happened the moment you turned the key back from its READY position is that the car detected what it thought was a stuck main contactor (as evidenced by the 322v still being present) and considered that a fatal flaw and disabled the car in addition to throwing an error code.

To answer your question, neither the CaniOn nor EVBatMon developers have openly tackled the issue of either reading the codes nor resetting them. You might contact Martin (me68) (developer of CaniOn), Xavier (priusfan), and zzcoopej (developer of EVBatMon) to see if they have done some behind-the-scenes work which may help you.

As far as I recall, no one has actually managed to get their hands onto an operational Mitsubishi MUT3 nor successfully managed to get a MUT3 clone to work.

I wish you all the best in this endeavour.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

DonDakin

Sun May 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Have a look at this video link. This guy did something similar with his leaf. Similar problem.

I think he blew the precharge resistor. Not sure if this is the case for your car but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Don.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zivzvh9Bx0&t=17s

PV1
Site Moderator

Mon May 29, 2017 5:11 am

How long was the external battery connected after taking the car out of READY?

The car will throw a code if the HV bus doesn't de-energize fast enough, which is exactly what would happen with an external battery connected. At the least, leaving the car sit for a while will clear the code, but at the worst, the discharge resistor blew out.

Leave the car off and measure the HV connections where you attached the external battery. What voltage does it read?
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

gisli

Tue May 30, 2017 10:32 am

[/quote][/quote]
kiev wrote:Welcome to the forum. Where are you located? Does your car have the Chademo charge port?

That is a very interesting experiment you are doing, please share how you get this resolved.

You may want to look thru the forum on previous experiments by other members and how they did this.

Good luck to you.

I am in Iceland. Yes it has Chademo charge port but I haven't try it. It is not easy to bring the car to the charging station :)

gisli

Tue May 30, 2017 10:34 am

Don wrote:
gisli wrote:I guess that when the car status changed from Ready to ACC mode the motor inverter still had the extra battery connected with 322 V, then the EV/ECU detected an error that creates the actual situation.
I would guess that . . . . you're probably right - You did something the car didn't like, which was probably predictable. Exactly what that might be is a good question. I hope it doesn't turn out to be expensive to resolve. Hopefully it's just an error which needs to be reset and not something you've burned up

Do you have a dealer nearby who can connect the MUT3 and give you a definitive answer? I think that would be a smart next move

Don

I have, I will do, but first I wanted to check if there is any possibility to read this error code myself, specially because it might happen to me again in this project.

gisli

Tue May 30, 2017 10:41 am

DonDakin wrote:Have a look at this video link. This guy did something similar with his leaf. Similar problem.

I think he blew the precharge resistor. Not sure if this is the case for your car but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Don.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zivzvh9Bx0&t=17s

Thank you. Do you know if he manage to solve the problem by repairing the precharge resistor?

gisli

Tue May 30, 2017 10:52 am

PV1 wrote:How long was the external battery connected after taking the car out of READY?

The car will throw a code if the HV bus doesn't de-energize fast enough, which is exactly what would happen with an external battery connected. At the least, leaving the car sit for a while will clear the code, but at the worst, the discharge resistor blew out.

Leave the car off and measure the HV connections where you attached the external battery. What voltage does it read?

The external battery was connected around one minute.
I measured the HV connections and it is 0 V.
I have disconnected the 12 V battery over night and it does not solve anything.
Discharge resistor, is it the same as the precharge resistor or is it another?

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”