Detaching the 12 volt

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcbrine

So, kinda basic, but... any advice for getting the bracket off of the positive terminal? I got the negative line off easily, and loosened the screw on the positive line so it turned left and right, but I couldn't get it to move up and off. I tried prying it up with a screwdriver a bit (saw someone do this in a video), but got nervous.

I went to Advance Auto Parts (for, as it turns out, probably the last time) and bought a replacement battery, and tried to take advantage of the free installation, but the guy was actually way more inept even than I was, couldn't get the negative off (didn't have the right tool and couldn't find it in his messy bag, even after I told him 10 mm), and gave up. So, I'm willing to try again...

There is a plastic clamp in a side bracket holding the positive cable--that clamp must be loosened or pulled out in order to allow the cable to move.

EDIT: There may be two clamps on the positive cable--one up high and another lower, seems that i undid both in order to move the terminal about as i was want to do.

Haven't done it yet, so can't comment. Funny thing is, I called my local Advance Auto about a battery, and the guy was warning about it being high voltage and dangerous for anyone to change it. He knows someone that died from changing a hybrid battery. :roll: It was almost as bad as the guy that argued with us that we can't simply buy rear snow tires because the car is front wheel drive, and he was going to prove it if I brought it in. OK, prove it to me :lol: .

Good to know about a second bracket. My battery dies in a day and a half now, so changing it is getting close.

I stuck the old battery from my wifes Insight in the IMIEV, though the Insight uses small terminals, and the I uses the larger ones, so I had to get adapters... it was fiddly though, and the positive terminal connector is a massive clumsy thing in an area with virtually no space - so it was a pain I have to admit.

The I battery was shot, and the Insight is very sensitive to 12v battery degredation, but the I seems all OK with the old Insight battery (its not getting the same duty cycling as the Hybrid gave it anyway)... from what I recall, tightening the clamp on the + was a bit tricky, insofar as I couldnt get it as tight as I wanted with the terminal adapters... shoulda used the right item, but didnt want to waste the old battery... another bit of recycling in effect. In years gone by I would have dumped it.

wmcbrine said:
I went to Advance Auto Parts (for, as it turns out, probably the last time) and bought a replacement battery, and tried to take advantage of the free installation, but the guy was actually way more inept even than I was, couldn't get the negative off (didn't have the right tool and couldn't find it in his messy bag, even after I told him 10 mm), and gave up. So, I'm willing to try again...
So, after all that, I ended up in the hospital that weekend, and couldn't drive for a couple of weeks. After which, I started the car up just fine, still on the old battery. Maybe it's not as decrepit as I thought? Anyway, the new battery is sitting in my garage on a battery tender, for now.

To bring this saga up to date --

I'm still running on the original battery. (I still haven't put the battery cover back on, either, although it seems to be superfluous.) I never could get the damn positive terminal off, but I thought I'd return to the project at some point, and I thought the new battery would be safe on its battery tender... until lightning struck on or close to our house, and took out a bunch of electrical equipment, including the battery tender. Now, I wonder if the new battery is even sound anymore, either. :-/

Meanwhile, there's been no further sign of trouble from the old battery. I realized that it must have run down because I accidentally left on a cabin light; and minus that kind of abuse, it seems to be OK. At least for now...

Well, I finally replaced the battery today.

I'd left on the same damn cabin light again yesterday, and today the car would sort of start, but not go into Ready. I got various error lights, including the battery indicator. Weighing my options, I got out my multimeter and checked the voltage on the replacement battery (still sitting on a table in my garage) -- about 12.6V. So maybe it was OK? But I still had to get the old one out.

Long story short, I ended up breaking off the top part of the positive terminal cover (the part that folds back), accidentally -- but it was good, because I could finally see the post clearly enough to see that there really was nothing else holding it on; it was just stubbornly stuck, and I'd be OK to pry it up with a screwdriver... and, having resolved that, I suddenly didn't have to, because it came loose after a bit more wriggling.

To my surprise, after changing batteries, I didn't lose my radio station presets, as I had before.

Hello friends
I put the distilled water in the original battery because it was 5 years old and it was not full with the acid actually the original battery has gell in it but I read it to compete up to the max line with the distilled water then load it to a device which has a maintenance processor with 4 programs purchased from the LIDL store (24- or -48 hours until it reaches 14.7 v.), it will either be the device itself when the battery is charged
, now my battery is like the new one, although I bought another one in the meantime, I will reserve it. :D

Back