New traction battery under warranty- will that new battery have its own 10yr 100k warranty?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mule2500

Getting a new traction battery next week under warranty(39,000 miles) . I had received a letter some time back stating my battery warranty was increased from 8yrs 100k to 10 yrs 100k I have a 2012 model year. My question is this- another person posted on here that they also had a new battery under warranty and that the new battery came with its own 10 yr 100k warranty. Is this true??? My dealer is saying "NO" just the remainder of my original 8yr 100k as the dealer isn't aware my warranty got extended. (they will be when I take in a copy of letter)

No - The car comes with a 10 year, 100,000 mile battery warranty. Your new battery will have a few years left and/or another 61,000 miles

Don

Don said:
No - The car comes with a 10 year, 100,000 mile battery warranty. Your new battery will have a few years left and/or another 61,000 miles

Don

I respectfully disagree, the battery like any new part warranty, should cover from the date of installation. But this could be wrong.

It should, but it doesn't. All warranties follow the VIN. My new pack only gets the remainder of the battery warranty.

Phximiev said:
Don said:

Don

I respectfully disagree, the battery like any new part warranty, should cover from the date of installation. But this could be wrong.

Any warranty is on the car, not the individual part, unless otherwise stated (which is extremely uncommon for cars), or the part is separately warranted by another warranty.

Hence if you had a traction battery replaced after 99,999 miles, the replacement in theory would be warranted for 1 mile. That's the typical Tc and Cs.

I can guarantee you 100% that when you show up at the dealers asking for warranty service with your car 10 years and one day old, not a single thing in/on it will be covered by any sort of warranty - Same thing if you go there with 100,001 miles on it

Don

Guys,
What were the conditions for you getting a battery replaced? My Mitsubishi dealer told me, that I have lost 40% at 70,000mi and they will not honor the warranty unless at least 1 cell is completely gone.
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Regards,

Carsten said:
Guys,
What were the conditions for you getting a battery replaced? My Mitsubishi dealer told me, that I have lost 40% at 70,000mi and they will not honor the warranty unless at least 1 cell is completely gone.
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Regards,

Several questions: What year is your iMiev? Is the dealer's opinion as to degradation in writing? What test did they do?

Make sure that the dealer gives you both the degradation percent and the test they did in writing.

Where do you live? Average temperatures?

Ask the dealer which battery you have? LEV50 or LEV50N? Get this in writing.

In your case, probably the LEV50 given the degradation. See page 1-5 of the manual for the normal degradation percents after 5 years, etc. Yours is abnormal. Also, the LEV50 were discontinued and should not be installed after 2011 or so. If so, then you should get a new battery.

If an LEV50N is installed, then the degradation should be no more than 10% after 700 cycles with 100% DOD at 113 degrees, based upon the battery specifications. Both battery's detailed specs are posted on this site. You should download both.

If the dealer doesn't cooperate, then request that your case be referred to Mitsubishi Customer Service. See the warranty manual for warranty enforcement instructions, which can be downloaded from the Mitsubishi owners site. Thereafter, you can request binding arbitration, which is the step we are in.

Keep us posted.

I posted all the info under the thread "Mitsubishi on Capacity Loss".
They didn't give me anything in writing.
I just tried EVBattMon and it didn't connect to my OBDLink MX via my S4. I will try with my Tab Pro tonight.
Regards,

I think the simple answer is . . . . when your car will not recharge to 16 bars (regardless of the capacity of the battery) you have a 'defective' battery and Mitsu will honor the warranty. I can't recall reading about any such instance where they refused

Don

mule2500 said:
...I had received a letter some time back stating my battery warranty was increased from 8yrs 100k to 10 yrs 100k I have a 2012 model year...
I don't recall receiving such a letter from Mitsu but now urgently need a copy of this for a friend. Just PM'd mule2500, but I think he sold his i-MiEV a few years ago. If someone has such a document please PM me. Thanks, JoeS

Back