Brake force controller

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phb10186

Happy New Year to all.

My patents Black 2012 IMIEV has suddenly developed a brake force issue (recall was done at the appropriate time). From a low speed, when applying the brake, the force is way too high, and the car comes to a very sharp stop. My Silver 2012 IMIEV is fine. I saw something on here a while ago about a breather pipe clean or something, but I suppose it could be something else. I am yet to read the OBD, but I thought I would start off here. The car has 21,000 miles, and both cars have the service due in March/ April.

Also, I'm getting a Javascript error upon opening my IMIEV workshop manual on Windows 10 - I wondered if any others have this issue, or if anyone has a safe link where I can download it from again, as I cant seem to find my original link.

Ben

phb10186 said:
From a low speed, when applying the brake, the force is way too high, and the car comes to a very sharp stop.
Are you saying there is too much vacuum assist? - Just touching the pedal tries to lock up the wheels? . . . . or the opposite - You have to push way too hard on the pedal to stop the car?

Don

Is the pedal very easy to move (too easy)? It might be stuck in emergency assist. Unfortunately, I'm not sure quite how it functions, let alone what would cause it to be stuck or how to fix it.

Maybe try pumping the brake pedal with the car off and relieve all vacuum. Then start the car and see if it goes back to normal. Also, make sure the connector on the pedal sensor is plugged in correctly (it looks like a servo connected to the brake pedal arm by a link).

Hmmmm - Maybe there's too much vacuum?? Is the pump cycling on and off like it should . . . . or maybe it's running all the time??

Don

Don said:
Hmmmm - Maybe there's too much vacuum?? Is the pump cycling on and off like it should . . . . or maybe it's running all the time??

Don

It seems to be cycling as it should. Is there a vacuum breather that can get clogged on the unit?

This occasionally happens to my i-MIEV as well. Especially on cold or very wet mornings. However after a few brake applications, it goes away.

Does the affected i-MiEV get driven much? If not, do you hear the front brakes making a dragging noise when the brakes are acting up? Could be as simple as rusted brakes. I was reminded of this the other day, started down the driveway after a long weekend of the car parked and the brakes were touchy due to the rust buildup.

Back