Buying IMiev in Sri Lanka - Battery Question

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manura

Hi, I am from Sri Lanka
I am planing to buy a iMiev from a local dealer. Here we do not have warranty. Dealers import japanese vehicles from auctions. Is it safe to buy a 2013 October built iMiev. There are several reports I have seen that 2012 imievs had numerous battery failures. Some problem with dreamliner or something.
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2595

What's your opinion.
Thanks in advance

The i-miev is a great commuter car with low operating cost and maintenance.

i think the risk to own one is low, especially if you can get a dealer or service department to connect the MUT III tool to the car and read the cell and pack voltage and capacity information, or if you can get the CANION app loaded to your android phone or tablet and read the information yourself thru the OBDII diagnostic connector, also called the data link connector in some places. i used canion when purchasing a 2012 model earlier this year.

If a battery pack had a defect it would be immediately visible with CANION.

The discussion about the dreamliner only points to the fact that the same company (Yuasa) made the cells, but the method and procedure for charging the cells is different between Mitsubishi and Boeing. Mitsubishi doesn't overcharge the cells.

Other discussion indicated that the cells were upgraded between the 2012 and 2013 models, so that is another plus in your favor.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

kiev said:
you can get a dealer or service department to connect the MUT III tool to the car and read the cell and pack voltage and capacity information, or if you can get the CANION app loaded to your android phone or tablet and read the information yourself thru the OBDII diagnostic connector,

I doubt there would be a dealer setup for iMiEV in Sri Lanka, however my Android and iPhone App EvBatMon will read the iMiEV battery capacity SOH (state of health) and PMC (Percentage of Manufacturer's Capcacity remaining), as well as Max and Min cell voltages. This means you can accurately determine the value of a 2nd hand iMiEV, or to choose the best 2nd hand iMiEV for sale.

Back