Question About 12V Battery Maintenance

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veimi

I haven't driven my 2012 ES for a little over a month.

When I initially tried to start it, it didn't arm when the key was turned to the full on position. It took a couple of tries.

It is my understanding that the car will not arm if the 12V battery is low.

My question is, is there any chance that my car wouldn't initially arm because the 12V battery'was low as a result of the car not being used for an extended period?

Is there a small quiescent drain on the 12V battery when the car is not in use which would require at the very least that the ignition switch should be turned on periodically to ensure that the 12V battery voltage is maintained?

veimi said:
I haven't driven my 2012 ES for a little over a month.

Is there a small quiescent drain on the 12V battery when the car is not in use which would require at the very least that the ignition switch should be turned on periodically to ensure that the 12V battery voltage is maintained?
Yes, if it's going to sit for an extended period, a trickle charger for it would be a good idea

A month or two usually isn't any problem, but if your battery is the original one, likely it's on it's last legs by now so just sitting a month may be long enough for the quiescent loads to run it down to where it won't start - Probably time to start thinking about a replacement

Don

veimi, I agree with Don and note that the "trickle charger" should be a modern smart 'float' charger which will not overcharge the 12v battery like the old trickle chargers did.

I moved your post over to this Batteries and Battery Management subforum, where you'll find plenty of other similar threads, including this one:
12v Battery - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know

Back