cyders

Help won't charge

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:00 am

So, I wanted to drain the brush and completely charge it like the dealership has told me to do, but I left it on with the Ac on and forgot about it and drained the 12v battery too. I jump started it and the 12 v is working but when I plug in the charger it starts but then shuts off in a minute or so.

PV1
Site Moderator

Re: Help won't charge

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:06 am

Sorry to hear of your trouble. Just to cover the easy stuff, when you plug the car in, do you have the key in the Lock position? If the key is in the On position, the car won't charge. Also, if you have the car unplugged, will it go READY (start)?

The AC and Heat are supposed to shut down when the turtle light illuminates, which means there is roughly 10% charge left in the battery. From this point until shutdown would take quite a while, not to mention running the 12 volt battery flat as well.

I'm not sure why the dealer told you to completely discharge the battery. Taking the charge down to 2 bars on the charge gauge is sufficient.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

cyders

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:15 am

Yeah the AC doesn't turn off till almost completely dead. He said it retains the battery. It did start right after I jump started the 12 volt but stopped now. The radio and lights are all working now so the 12v is charged but the rest won't. I've tried it all different ways. It starts to charge the fan comes on, then everything goes off.

Malm

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:52 am

When it happened to me, not charging, it was a problem with the internal charger. I have now a new one, given in the 5 year waranty. I believe it will charge via Chademo, if it have that option. When that happened to me, I cold charge via the Chademo port.
Riding an i-Miev since 4/2011 in Portugal, 100.000 kms.

cyders

Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:32 pm

Crazy... is been plugged in not charging all weekend, last tried last night and it started working this morning. Really weird.

mdbuilder

Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:10 pm

cyders wrote:Crazy... is been plugged in not charging all weekend, last tried last night and it started working this morning. Really weird.

Good that it works now. I would think that once it fails to initiate it has failed, leaving it plugged in for hours does nothing. Plug in initiates a handshake where the car and evse agree on current then the contactors in the evse close and power flows. If the contactors fail to close that should be it for the session.
2015 Nissan NV200
2012 I-Miev SE Premium
2009 Mazda 5
2017 Toyota Prius Prime

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:13 pm

Every once in a blue moon, one of mine will start to charge and shut off a minute or so later - Happened maybe 4 or 5 times in 4 years with two cars. It does nothing until you unplug it and plug it back in

Can't imagine why anyone (especially anyone at a dealership) would tell you to discharge the car completely - "Retains the battery?" Damages the battery is more like it. Don't do that again! You're going to need a new 12 volt battery, sooner rather than later. It really hurts a lead acid battery when you discharge it flat

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

PV1
Site Moderator

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:23 pm

Glad you were able to get some charge in it. Until you drive the car more and vet the charger's functionality, I would try to keep at least enough charge to make it to the closest dealer or quick charger (assuming you have the quick charge option, look for a black lever on the floor beside the driver seat).

Every once in a while, it is recommended to discharge the battery down to 1-2 bars and do an uninterrupted full charge to calibrate the charge gauge. It doesn't do much for the battery itself, but it keeps the instrumentation accurate.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

cyders

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:47 pm

They certainly did not recommend killing the 12v. That was my bad. But when I first got my car it was used, and the battery did really funky things and it only got less than 40 city miles before needing a charge. They took it at the dealership and drained the power down fully and charged it completely several times and it's held a much better charge since. I do get much better mileage if I go from completely empty - meaning it says I have no miles left - which means ive got about 10 or so and then fully charge it. He explained it works kind of the same way as a computer or cell battery - if you never let the battery die the battery life goes down. the 12v is brand new they replaced it when I first bought it and it would not charge. The dealership I bought it from though should not be allowed to sell them because they know nothing about them, kept talking about how great free oil changes were - im like i wont need that - they had no clue. it died on the freeway after driving like 5 miles from the dealership. I was not impressed.

mdbuilder

Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:49 am

Find a different dealer :shock:

Lithium batteries are not like decade old cell phones, they do not have memory. The problem you were having which was addressed by the discharge has to do with the electronics that sit between you and the car, the electronics make calculations based on usage but not based on the actual battery capacity is the best way I'd describe it. The occasional (it is recommended once every year I think) discharge to 2 bars or below lets the electronics find the actual end points and reset the range they use to provide you information on the dash RR meter.
2015 Nissan NV200
2012 I-Miev SE Premium
2009 Mazda 5
2017 Toyota Prius Prime

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”