JoeS
Site Moderator

Re: Battery replacement survey

Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:10 pm

jumpjack wrote:I do not own an iMiev. But I'm trying to figure out if purchasing a second-hand one with exhausted battery could be an option. Of course it would not if battery alone costs 25000$....
jumpjack, the only forum participant who had a battery that he felt had significantly lost capacity is malm... Edit: I incorrectly said that Malm was getting a replacement pack. :oops:

jumpjack, have you seen any i-MiEVs with an 'exhausted battery' but otherwise in good condition? If you do find one, I bet you could pick it up for a bargain price, even if the current crop of used i-MiEVs don't meet your cost constraints.

For myself, I purchased an insurance policy in the form of a battery that just happens to have a lovely SE Premium wrapped around it. :roll:
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

kiev

Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:17 pm

Maybe better off to buy a new one at $22,900 then take the 7,500 tax credit=> $15,400 for brand new with 10 yr pack warranty.

or buy a used/off-lease for as cheap as possible and just drive the dog out of it and don't worry about the pack--it will always be cheaper to buy a newer used car than put new batteries in a 10-yr old car.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

Malm

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:54 pm

JoeS wrote:
jumpjack wrote:I do not own an iMiev. But I'm trying to figure out if purchasing a second-hand one with exhausted battery could be an option. Of course it would not if battery alone costs 25000$....
jumpjack, the only forum participant who had a battery that he felt had significantly lost capacity is malm... Edit: I incorrectly said that Malm was getting a replacement pack. :oops:

jumpjack, have you seen any i-MiEVs with an 'exhausted battery' but otherwise in good condition? If you do find one, I bet you could pick it up for a bargain price, even if the current crop of used i-MiEVs don't meet your cost constraints.

For myself, I purchased an insurance policy in the form of a battery that just happens to have a lovely SE Premium wrapped around it. :roll:

My battery now is at 33,7 Ah. I would like to remember all that one user from Las Vegas saw its range significantly reduced after two years, and received a new pack (that was not because a faulty cell, just battery degradation). That is described somewhere in this forum. I also would like to say that are some i-MiEVs from Australia that have now lower capacity then my car. My I-MiEV is not the worst case. We can see it easily in the database of the EvBatMon app, where my degradation curve appears over the media (astonishing, I was not expecting that, but surely the fact that there aren´t to many cars yet and some of them are Australian, took a roll in this).

A new battery was purchased from Mitsubishi, in Australia, for 5700 Aus dollars. In USA dollars that is 4390$ (and even less in euros). I think Mitsubishi would sell me a new one for 4000 € if I asked for one in two months, when my warranty will be over. But with 70% of capacity and 85% of the inicial range, I don´t need to replace it, because 350 days of an year I don´t do more then 30 miles.
Riding an i-Miev since 4/2011 in Portugal, 100.000 kms.

jumpjack

Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:41 am

As more time passes, more second-hand battery-exhautsed iMiev&clones will reach the market. (and also other EVs).
As an electric car can last 20 years without any motor degradation, while in 20 years battery technology will reach unthinkable targets, it's "compulsory" to think about how to "refill" these cars!

Malm wrote:. I think Mitsubishi would sell me a new one for 4000 € if I asked for one in two months,

Could you please ask, for the records?

JoeS
Site Moderator

Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:14 am

jumpjack wrote:As more time passes, more second-hand battery-exhautsed iMiev&clones will reach the market. (and also other EVs).
As an electric car can last 20 years without any motor degradation, while in 20 years battery technology will reach unthinkable targets, it's "compulsory" to think about how to "refill" these cars!...
I still haven't seen any "second-hand battery-exhausted iMiEVs and clones" on the market. Can't believe I'm saying this, but why fret over the future and sacrifice being able to drive an EV today? Buy what you can afford now and you'll have 5-20 years to devise a scheme to replace the batteries. :geek:
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Malm

Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:30 am

They will only tell a price when they have a real car with a problem to fix. And someone in Mitsubishi will make a price, someone inside Mitsubishi that have the possibility to decide what price to make. And probably they will stay with the old battery, after they replaced it, under this "special" price. I think there is no real price established, just a number that they will use to say that they are selling the battery with a big discount. They make the price case by case. But you should do all the recalls, one year checks and repairs with them to be easier to get the "special" offer. Just know the replacement on that Australian car, outside the warranty, and in euros that price is under 4500.
Riding an i-Miev since 4/2011 in Portugal, 100.000 kms.

jumpjack

Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:28 am

JoeS wrote:but why fret over the future and sacrifice being able to drive an EV today?

Because I'm already driving an E-Scooter! ;)

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”