Mitsubishi's used i-MiEV batteries

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV1

Staff member
It appears this is what happens to some of our warranty-exchanged battery packs.

http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-announces-second-life-project-automotive-lithium-ion-batteries/

If a battery pack has a defective cell and will not work in a car, how could it work in a solar storage system? Wouldn't the defective cell still be a problem in the solar application too? I suspect they just harvest good cells from old packs for reuse.

Dave

I would imagine they mix and match cells from multiple packs to replace faulty cells, and use the refurbished packs for energy storage projects.

Good to know that when they give you a 'new' pack under warranty, it really is a new one and not a refurbished used one

Don

Don said:
Good to know that when they give you a 'new' pack under warranty, it really is a new one and not a refurbished used one
That was certainly the case in the early days, but I can't help but think that Mitsu by now has set up a pack refurbishment facility in North America.... or, maybe not, depending on their predicted vs. actual failure rates. Transporting lithium batteries was a big expensive bureaucratic issue - but, with the worldwide proliferation of EVs and battery bulk storage, maybe some accommodation has been made.

Back