jjlink
Site Moderator

12 Volt battery is failing, I'm looking for replacement

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:43 am

My 12 Volt battery is failing and I'm looking for replacement. I have it on a BatteryMINDer to revive it for now. Has anyone found a good replacement AGM battery that will work? I looked around for other posts but not many look like they actually replaced it yet.

I'm looking at my Prius's 12 volt battery and it looks like it could be made to fit.
Optima Yellow Top Battery D51R Starting and Deep Cycle 8073-167

OK, I answered my own question. It looks like this will work:

Thanks
John - 2012 Silver i-MiEV SE model, Jan 19th, 2012 w/OpenEvse, caniOn,& OVMS.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Re: 12 Volt battery is failing, I'm looking for replacement

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:08 am

John, I have a whole bunch of Optimas left over from when I converted my Sparrows to Lithium - if you still need it, let me know and I'll give you one. I hadn't tried the Optima in the i-MiEV, and happy to see it fits (thanks for posting the photo) - I'll be replacing my 12v OEM battery the instant I see even the tiniest bit of corrosion at the terminals.

Edit: Oops, just noticed that my Optimas are D34 and the D51 is not only a different form-factor but is 17# lighter. My bad. :oops:
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

RobertC

Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:49 pm

According to Firestone Complete Auto Care, on average a car battery lasts 3 to 5 years, and our 2012 Mitsubishi i 12 volt lead-acid batteries are over three years old. However, since our 12 volt batteries are not required to crank out starting amps, I'm hoping they will last longer. I've worked with electrical substation lead-acid batteries that have lasted 20 plus years. My 12 volt i battery terminals show no signs of corrosion, and I checked the electrolyte level was still good.

When it comes time to change our 12 volt batteries, BCI (Battery Council International) Group Size 151R should fit with dimensions as shown:

Note that the "R" stands for reverse mounting of the positive and negative terminals (positive terminal on the right).

Group Size 151R batteries are in stock available at AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, and Pep Boys.
"Silver" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES - 5/21/2012
"Purple" - 2012 Raspberry Metallic ES with QC - 4/10/2013

jjlink
Site Moderator

Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:24 pm

JoeS wrote:John, I have a whole bunch of Optimas left over from when I converted my Sparrows to Lithium - if you still need it, let me know and I'll give you one. I hadn't tried the Optima in the i-MiEV, and happy to see it fits (thanks for posting the photo) - I'll be replacing my 12v OEM battery the instant I see even the tiniest bit of corrosion at the terminals.

Edit: Oops, just noticed that my Optimas are D34 and the D51 is not only a different form-factor but is 17# lighter. My bad. :oops:

Joe, thanks for the offer anyway. It looks like the D51R is a good fit and will work fine. I did have to remove the plastic tray under the battery to get the height correct. I don't think the tray is needed anyway. The Optima batteries do have a vent hole. I hooked up to a tube pointed down towards the bottom of the car. Was the vent a concern in your experience with the Sparrows?

I put the old Prius battery back in the Prius after being on a desulfating battery-minder and it looks like it is working fine at least for now. I will put the old I-MiEV on the desulfating battery-minder and keep it for a space for something else.
John - 2012 Silver i-MiEV SE model, Jan 19th, 2012 w/OpenEvse, caniOn,& OVMS.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:11 pm

jjlink wrote:...The Optima batteries do have a vent hole. I hooked up to a tube pointed down towards the bottom of the car. Was the vent a concern in your experience with the Sparrows? ...
No need to worry about the vent hole in the Optima, as the battery only outgasses when seriously overcharged (>~15.5v), otherwise it is pretty well sealed. I really prefer the AGM over the FLA because there is no maintenance nor corrosive vapors or terminal corrosion. This smaller Optima looks like a great fit for our i-MiEV for someone who regularly plays the radio or uses the 12v for something with the car turned off, or stores the car for long time without plugging in a float charger; otherwise, it's perhaps overkill. :roll:
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

PV1
Site Moderator

Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:45 pm

It's official, Bear is the most jealous vehicle I've ever encountered :twisted: :roll: .

My work has a jobsite near Harrisburg, PA. I've been there three times, including today's trip (done with either the parents' hybrid or a company car). Each time after coming home, I've encountered some kind of issue with Bear. After the first trip, I started it the next morning to find my main battery had a failing cell. After the second trip, my LED doorhandle lights started failing.

Today, we just finished eating after I finished up at the site and were at a bike shop across the street. As we were walking out the door to leave, I get a text message. It was the OVMS module warning me of a critical 12 volt battery! I immediately send a DIAG? command to the module. It reports back with a voltage even lower than the warning (warning message said 10 volts, DIAG? response said 9.4 volts). We get home, and sure enough, the car won't unlock with the remote. I unlocked it with the key, popped the hood, and put the 12 volt charger on the battery for a few minutes, then took it off and plugged the car into level 1.

So, now I need to figure out what caused the battery to run flat over a 3-day weekend and how to fix it. There were no lights left on, so that leaves:

A. The radio was stuck in a powered state.
B. The 12 volt battery is weak, both from a year of sitting on the dealer's lot and from running flat a couple of times while the main battery was being replaced.
C. Power draw from the OVMS module, the OBDLink, and the radio is too high for the size battery in the car to last more than a couple of days.

So, does the 12 volt have its own warranty, or is it part of the new vehicle 3-year warranty?
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

kiev

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:31 am

If the 12V lead acid is 3 yrs old or more, then you have gotten your use out of it--it is old and weak and ready to retire...
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

PV1
Site Moderator

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:37 am

My car turns 4 this month (built in Feb. 2012). I guess lead acid likes the abuse of a starter motor better. The battery in the Cavalier I drove before lasted 10 years before it needed replaced. Of course, care was taken to never run the battery down in the Cavalier. It's been used to jump other vehicles, but hasn't needed a jumpstart itself.

I'll be looking for a replacement, but I'm still going to try to track down what power drains I have and see if de-sulfating the current battery helps at all. One of my door lights is suspect, since it recently quit working, and touching it would cause it to light before it quit, so I'm thinking that light has a short somewhere (there's a resistor in-line, so a soft short could be continuously running the battery down without blowing any fuses).

I know LOWRACER did a LiFePO4 conversion at the very beginning of the Preperation for Cold Seasons thread (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=694). Someone else did this, too. I'm wondering how that has been working out, as I have 2 LiFePO4 12 volt packs from my old eBike available to put in the car.

Also, a side note regarding the MCU warning light. It seems that if one tries to start the car with a dead battery, the light will be triggered and have to be cleared by the dealer, but if the battery goes dead and it is recharged by a 12 volt battery charger before starting the car is attempted, the light won't be triggered. Last year at a show, just after getting Koorz, the battery went dead from the lights. My friend tried to start the car to recharge the 12 volt battery, but it wouldn't start. The warning light was set. Last night, I charged the battery in Bear before trying to start it, and the light has stayed off.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

tigger19687

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:38 am

Anyone buy a 12v battery local or has everyone had to get it on line?

I looked locally but did find it. Maybe I need to look harder.

Some places have outrageous prices for these little motorcycle batteries.
[size=85]- Linda
-2017 Chevy Bolt Premier Bright Blue
- 2014 Toyota Prius C, for the Son

Phximiev

Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:15 am

How about one of these? http://www.ultrabattery.com

It looks idealistic, but see this:

http://www.hybridcars.com/alabc-ultraba ... leet-duty/
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”