Charging lead for I-on: 16A or 32A

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b3magik

Hi All
I bought a second hand Peugeot I-on but without a charging cable. Should I get 16A or 32A? What kind of on board charger does this car have? It is 2012 year.
I guess it has a 16A charger as charging time as per Peugeot website is 7- 8 hours; is that correct?
Many thanks
Tom

misterbleepy said:
You're right, the onboard charger can only take 16A maximum (maybe a little less), so a 32A lead is unneccessary.

Thanks again Misterbleepy!
This is simply the best forum ever:)

Yes, the charger is about 3.3 kW and only uses 14-15A on 230 volts. My C-Zero came with a cable set for 16A. Some newer ones have apparently been sold with just a 10A cable. Having said that, I did get a 32A Type 2 to Type 1 cable, simply to have one later if my next EV would happen have a 6.6 kW charger. I've only used the cable once though to see if it works. :)

The 7-8 hours might be accurate with a 10A cable. With full power (16A cable) you should be looking at pretty much full in 5 hours. And that's assuming your battery was completely empty to begin with, which it hardly ever is. So usually it's even less.

jsantala said:
Yes, the charger is about 3.3 kW and only uses 14-15A on 230 volts. My C-Zero came with a cable set for 16A. Some newer ones have apparently been sold with just a 10A cable. Having said that, I did get a 32A Type 2 to Type 1 cable, simply to have one later if my next EV would happen have a 6.6 kW charger. I've only used the cable once though to see if it works. :)

The early ones had 16A cables, but was later changed to 10A. However, I see that there has been another change and at least new iOn and C-Zero is delivered with a cable which is adjustable between 8A and 14A. To get 14A you need a special wall socket and the cable will set to 14A automatically.

Although a 16A Type 2 to Type 1 cable is "enough", there has been reports here in Norway at least that it has been problems with charging with a 16A cable on a few 32A Type 2 charging points. Appearantly the charging point itself has been incorrectly wired in those cases, so it will not recognize a 16A cable and therefor not start to charge. So here it is recommended to get a 32A cable anyhow, just in case. ;)

Back