kiev

Re: Long Distance Travel Battery Thermal Concerns

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:11 pm

PV1 wrote:... The i-MiEV really wasn't designed for travelling more than 100 miles a day.

i totally agree--the seats are very uncomfortable and any more than 30 miles at a time is painful. Plus lack of arm rest and cruise control is another PIA.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

JoeS
Site Moderator

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:45 pm

kiev wrote:
PV1 wrote:... The i-MiEV really wasn't designed for travelling more than 100 miles a day.
i totally agree--the seats are very uncomfortable and any more than 30 miles at a time is painful. Plus lack of arm rest and cruise control is another PIA.
:shock: In the numerous 150+-mile days in the i-MiEV, I hadn't even noticed those perceived deficiencies. Perhaps my standards are different than yours, and I certainly would not characterize the seats as "very uncomfortable" nor the other two missing items as "PIA".

Back on topic, what would be nice is that whenever any of us do anticipate spending a long day driving, then perhaps we can record the CaniOn readings and post them like RobertC did. Starting and ending and ambient and battery temperatures, charging duration and power levels, and average speeds and type of terrain. It's the cumulative effect of incessant driving-and-charging that's the concern.

It also occurred to me that topography will have an impact on battery temperature: driving an average 40mph on the level is very different than climbing 2000' at 40mph followed by regenning at 40mph on the way down.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

RobertC

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:08 pm

PV1 wrote:While I can agree with that, how much effect is had by the AC blowing cold air into the pack while quick charging?
In order to have any heat transfer from the battery to the surrounding air, the air must be at a lower temperature than the battery, so blowing cold air while DC Quick Charging is better than allowing the hot air to build up in the battery compartment. While driving, the 88 LEV-50 batteries are generating their own internal heat from the current passing through them and their shape (rectangular prisms without much surface area) limits the amount of heat they can dissipate to the surrounding air.
JoeS wrote:Back on topic, what would be nice is that whenever any of us do anticipate spending a long day driving, then perhaps we can record the CaniOn readings and post them like RobertC did. Starting and ending and ambient and battery temperatures, charging duration and power levels, and average speeds and type of terrain. It's the cumulative effect of incessant driving-and-charging that's the concern.
I drove 190 miles in May 2014, stopping four times to DC Quick Charge, with approximately 1 hour of charging and 5 hours of driving.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2175
My beginning battery temperature was 17ºC (62.6ºF) and my ending battery temperature was 39.3ºC (102.7ºF). The ambient temperature was about 70ºF that day and I averaged around 40mph on mostly flat terrain. Bottom line is that if you keep pumping amps through your battery it's going to get hot. Electrical equipment and electronics that cannot tolerate high temperatures have heat sinks, the MiEV batteries do not.
JoeS wrote:BTW, it was my intention when I started this thread to discuss concerns about using the i-MiEV for continuous long-distance travel and not the occasional CHAdeMO quick-charge zap.
I only drove 190 miles as a test, as most of our family's single-trip driving is less than 50 miles. (98% of all single-trip journeys in the US are under 50 miles). We put about 15,000 miles a year on our two i MiEV's taking short trips.

With a range of 62 miles, the Mitsubishi i MiEV was not designed nor intended for continuous long-distance travel. It was designed for short trips. The high cost of using DC Quick Chargers helps discourage frequent usage and that helps the chargers be available for those wishing to use their EV's to take the occasional long trip. I found it inconvenient to keep stopping to quick charge on my 190 mile trip, and for there to be widespread adoption of electric vehicles it is important that charging is convenient. Our family loves how convenient the MiEV is: easy to charge at home, easy to park, zippy in traffic, and great for hauling cargo. The upcoming Tesla Model 3 with a projected range of 200 miles would be much better suited for those needing to take more frequent long trips.
”Blue” - 2018 Kinetic Blue Chevy Bolt Premier with QC - 5/13/18
“Red” - 2017 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt LT with QC - 3/30/2018
"Purple" - 2012 Raspberry Metallic ES with QC - 4/10/2013

rkarl89203

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:40 pm

OK.
I understand.
No fun allowed.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:19 pm

rkarl89203 wrote:OK.
I understand.
No fun allowed.
Sincerest apologies if you took offense. I don't think any was intended. Here's some really long-distance fun in a C-Zero (none-the-worse for wear):

http://www.thechargingpoint.com/news/Around-the-world-in-a-Citroen-C-Zero-electric-car.html
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

rkarl89203

Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:36 pm

The downright unfriendliness of this particular thread is stunning. I simply told of my experiences and was inferred that I was running the car hard to 'make the battery fail.'
Really?
Seriously?
I am an I-miev booster.
I am PROUD of this car.
Gone from this thread but cmon guys, it's OK to actually enjoy our cars.

Don
Site Moderator

Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:59 pm

rkarl89203 wrote:The downright unfriendliness of this particular thread is stunning. I simply told of my experiences and was inferred that I was running the car hard to 'make the battery fail.'
I'm sorry, but I don't see that at all - I went back and read through every post, trying to see what you say you saw. I think it may be a matter of perception on your part

I don't see any 'unfriendliness' here toward you or anyone else. No one 'inferred you were trying to make your battery fail' - You asked what good is the car if you can't drive it and you got a great answer . . . . use it as you like, but keep in mind it wasn't designed for several days of long trips interspersed with several QC sessions per day (your planned 3,000 mile trip)

You came into this thread thinking that since you lived in the mid-west, there wouldn't be any battery heating issues for you, no matter how you used the car. I think you learned something from the friendly folks here - We all learn lots from those who have been monitoring their cars with Canion for the past 18 months or so . . . . I know I have

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

PV1
Site Moderator

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:02 pm

Sorry if you took offense. I'm sure none was meant. Expressing opposing opinions without sounding rude or hostile is tough in text. The expression of how the sentence was said doesn't convey.

I guarantee there are owners that have a lot of fun with their cars, running temperatures and amperages that would make some of us cringe at the thought, and haven't experienced any issues. Many of us are taking extra precautions to try to make our packs last as long as they can. The most difficult thing at this time in the EV revolution is uncertainty of lithium ion and how long cells in different conditions will actually last. I think what scares us is the uncertainty of obtaining a replacement pack in the future, based on Mitsubishi's track history of how they treat the US i-MiEV market. If Mitsubishi can prove that driving habits drove the pack to failure, they may deny warranty coverage, whereas conservative driving has no doubt that driving habits didn't cause it.

For our batteries, a bad day in an EV beats a good day in a cell phone. To each his/her own. Have fun.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

Phximiev

Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:25 pm

I think every iMiev owner should come to Phoenix in the summer. Today, it was 111+ and we were running around just fine (with the AC on full blast). Sure, we didn't want to go out....(cringe), but, we still got all of our trips done.

Then you wouldn't worry about heating up your batteries, ;-) , because both you and the batteries would be boiling.

Don't forget to bring your Budge's. You'll need them.
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

Malm

Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:33 am

I' am having fun twice. :lol: . Having fun driving the car (geting 175 km mRR, doing one of the longest trips with one charge ever - 201 km, driving it to the highest point of Portugal), and I´m having fun understanding the car. And I love to share my findings with people all over the world. So, we are al having fun with our I-MiEVs.
Riding an i-Miev since 4/2011 in Portugal, 100.000 kms.

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”