Possible to extend battery capacity ?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sventchik

Hi there,

I have the chance to get access to 8 modules of LEV50-4, coming from a Peugeot ion. (Someone bought a ion for low cost, removed the battery pack to put it on an electric quad)

So I have 2 possibilities : to keep them, just in case some modules will fail in the future, or to add them to the actual ones, to get more autonomy (roughly 1,4kwh more)
Anybody already experienced that ?

Two known ways to tie into the car is to either have a pack with matching voltage range and tap into the high voltage bus in the motor controller, or if you can find a dc-dc converter, you could take the extra cells and feed the dc-dc with a lower voltage, and have the converter put out 350-360 volts, I wouldn't go any higher than 355 volts.

While it's possible to add extra cells in series to the existing pack, I very highly doubt the car would be OK with this, since you would be raising pack voltage by 3.6 volts per cell.

if your car has 80 cells, maybe... (in europe, the last peugeot were sold with 80 cells).
if it has 88cells, just forget it...
unless you use a DC/DC converter.
but how would you charge these eight cells????

anyway, this would be a difficult and expensive adaptation, what about the ROI?

sventchik said:
the Mitsubishi also exists in a 20kwh if i'm not wrong.... so how did they increase from 16 to 20 ?

I understand the 20kWh battery was only used for testing in development of the i-MiEV, never in the production model.
They are 16kWh (G model) and 10.5kWh (M model)

sventchik said:
the Mitsubishi also exists in a 20kwh if i'm not wrong.... so how did they increase from 16 to 20 ?
Likely they used an inverter/charger designed to operate on 415 volts instead of the 330 volt version they used in our cars . . . .

Don

So, in those conditions, I will keep them as spare parts for future.

Anybody knows how I need to store them ?
Fully loaded ? How could I load each module ?
(they had a full loading before dismounting in july 2014)

I think the battery's should be stored at about 40 % charge at normal room temp of 21 deg c.

You can buy a programable battery charger and tester on the internet for under a hundred dollars that is used for radio controlled airplane batteries. It can charge your cells and do a capacity test also.

If you do this please let us know what you come up with for capacity. It would be interesting to know.

Don.....

Back