iwatson

Cost to replace an i-miev battery?

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:40 am

Not trying to start something here, and excuse me if this question has already been asked, but does anyone have any information about the cost of a battery replacement for the US spec I-miev?

This is our second EV, and of course we are big fans of electric cars. Many friends and relatives have taken note of our decisions to go almost totally electric and they do ask questions. Of course, I think maybe I'm viewed by some as a nut. A question that always stumps me is how much would it cost to replace the battery. In the past, my answer has always been "nobody really knows because the cars have an 8 year/100,000 mile warranty and no owner has reached that realm yet".

Lately I've read some alarming reports regarding our "other" EV, about owners that have had batteries damaged by running over debris in the roadway. Prices thrown around have ranged from $3000 up to $34,000 dollars. A lot of this appears to be hype and people trying to stir up stuff, however it is hard to completely de-bunk. The only actual price I've seen in black and white (Actually red and white) is from a GM parts website that lists the 2011 Volt battery at just a hair under $2600 dollars.

Trying to compare I searched several Mitsubishi parts sites, but none listed parts for an i-Miev. I suspect that since I-miev sales are so few in the U.S. that the battery would have to be ordered from Japan and shipped to the U.S. The I-miev battery is slung under the floor of the car, whereas the Volt battery is under the car but up inside the tunnel that runs between the seats. The design of the i-miev allows for more interior space but may make the car more vulnerable to damage by road debris?

Anyone know of an owner who's had their I damaged in this way or anyone who's had to have their battery replaced outside of warranty (if that's even possible) or anyone who's done any research, please comment.
2012 Raspberry imiev SE Premium
2017 Cajun Red Chevrolet Bolt EV
2011 Viridian Joule Chevrolet Volt
2008 Cadillac SRX
2002 Forest River Sunseeker 3100
2001 Buick LeSabre
1997 Chrysler Town & Country

PV1
Site Moderator

Re: Cost to replace an i-miev battery?

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:28 am

a GM parts website that lists the 2011 Volt battery at just a hair under $2600 dollars.

That's actually very inexpensive, considering their battery holds the same energy as ours.

Here's some technical information on the i-MiEV battery cells. Apparently, they can handle twice the discharge current of what the i-MiEV pulls at full throttle (300 amps output, i-MiEV pulls 155 amps at most).
http://www.atip.org/atip-publications/a ... or-ev.html

60 Ah LiFePO4 prismatic cells are around $100, so ~$8,800 to repack an i-MiEV battery. These cells wouldn't work in the i-MiEV, but its the closest I could find that is available to the public in a quick search.
http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4-pri ... d-dgr.aspx
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

HParkEV

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:51 am

Another data point is from Nissan: They have just introduced a replacement 24kWh battery for the Leaf, priced at $5500 with the mandatory return of the old battery.
Nissan claims to be selling this replacement battery slightly below their cost.
2012 Ocean Blue SE (premium) Canada-spec
02/2012 production, 06/2013 delivery
Upgraded EVSE

fjpod

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:50 am

There isn't a lot of experience replacing iMiev batteries outside of warranty as the car is still so new.

On here we have heard of maybe two owners with defective packs, but it doesn't seem to be as rampant as the degradation problems we have been hearing about on the Leaf.

PV1
Site Moderator

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:10 am

On here we have heard of maybe two owners with defective packs

Also, when you consider the defective packs were really only caused by one or two bad cells, the defective/failure rate for the LEV50 battery is well below 1%. For 200 i-MiEVs, 176 cells would have to fail just to hit 1% failure rate.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

siai47

Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:54 pm

The problem to be faced is pack replacement for something other then a battery cell or module. If anything at all fails within the battery pack assembly, then the only option you will have is a "remanufactured" pack. It could be something inexpensive like a failure of a contactor or the ground fault module. Or even something as simple as the battery fan. The bottom line is that the manufacturer isn't going to let you inside the pack---and likely not let you remove and install it yourself. It will be a one size fits all program that won't take into account what the reason for the pack replacement was (or cost of repair). All this will be under the cover of liability protection for the manufacturer and the dealer. This is a coming problem that will affect all EV's. The only EV (mainstream) that had a way of buying replacement modules was the old RAV4-EV. Before the consent degree prevented Toyota from selling them, the EV-95 modules were about $1000 each with 24 in each vehicle. The only way in the near term to get pack parts (Mitsu won't even sell the interlock plug) is to buy parts from a wreck. That's where I got all my spare parts.

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:38 pm

With the 8 year, 100K warranty, the purchase of a new or remanufactured pack for any of us is still more than 5 years away and by then prices will certainly fall well below what they are now, especially if we replace our worn out pack with a factory remanufactured one

Not something to worry over at this point - I suspect many of us will still be running around on our original packs well beyond 100,000 miles

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon

iwatson

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:49 am

Don wrote:With the 8 year, 100K warranty, the purchase of a new or remanufactured pack for any of us is still more than 5 years away and by then prices will certainly fall well below what they are now, especially if we replace our worn out pack with a factory remanufactured one

Not something to worry over at this point - I suspect many of us will still be running around on our original packs well beyond 100,000 miles

Although I agree and I know you are correct, one issue that is possible is damage to the battery caused by running over something in the road. Insurance would come into play, however in my case I purchased my wife's I for $10,500 (gently used) and if the battery is more than that (which is possible) the Insurance company would total the car! It would be nice to have some idea.

Additionally, One of our jobs as EV Enthusiasts is to educate those within our spheres of influence so that we can help sell these cars. Nobody knows more about EV's than we do. We must win new converts to the EV ranks or else when our machines wear out, we will not be able to replace them. Manufacturers will decide it's not in their best interests to make them if they don't see steady growth.

I always stress the positives about EV ownership to any ear that will listen -- Low operating costs, low maintenance costs, 8 year/100,000 mile battery warranty. Friends that I talk to are excited about these benefits, but of course there are always negative aspects that must be answered. One of those is "How much would the battery cost if it was out of warranty"? and the best answer so far is "no one really knows?" I for one feel uneasy not knowing the answer to that question. It wasn't enough to stop me from owning two EV's, but it likely stops others. We should know "worst case" what a battery replacement would cost if we somehow had to replace it out of warranty and delight in the knowledge that these prices will come down.
2012 Raspberry imiev SE Premium
2017 Cajun Red Chevrolet Bolt EV
2011 Viridian Joule Chevrolet Volt
2008 Cadillac SRX
2002 Forest River Sunseeker 3100
2001 Buick LeSabre
1997 Chrysler Town & Country

Don
Site Moderator

Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:07 am

iwatson wrote:Although I agree and I know you are correct, one issue that is possible is damage to the battery caused by running over something in the road. Insurance would come into play, however in my case I purchased my wife's I for $10,500 (gently used) and if the battery is more than that (which is possible) the Insurance company would total the car!
What you paid for the car has no bearing on the number the insurance company would use to 'total' the car - That number comes from the book value at the time of the incident/accident. You may have only paid $10.5K for it, but the 'book' might very well be closer to twice that number

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon

Barbagris

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:58 am

Incredible! :shock:
From Peugeot's rate, (for one of the European clones):

Seen here (spanish):