Quick Charge 80-100% time?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danpatgal

Hi All,

I'm contemplating a longer trip in a few weeks and have a couple new Quick Charge stations I'd like to use on the way. (I have yet to use a QC on our iMiev in over two years :( .) On a couple legs I'm pushing the range a little, so I really want to have 100% charge before embarking on the next leg. I've always heard we can charge from 0-80% in 20 minutes on the QC. But, about how long is it to go from 80-100% on a QC? I assume it is still faster than the max 3.3kw update on a level 2, but does anyone have some details?

Thanks - Dan

I've read that the Fuji electric QCs (MOM's Organic Market in Frederick, MD has two) can go from 20% to full in an hour for the LEAF. I would say a full charge would be between an hour to an hour and a half. There are two quick chargers that I can make it to now, but have yet to do it.

Charging speed really slows down above 95% on level 2, I'd imagine the i-MiEV would really throttle back an off-board charger.

You don't want to QC to 100% because it gets the battery pack to hot and puts too much stress on it. When I Quick Charged my i-MiEV each time the cars cooling fans came on and ran during the charge to 80%.

danpatgal said:
Hi All,

I'm contemplating a longer trip in a few weeks and have a couple new Quick Charge stations I'd like to use on the way. (I have yet to use a QC on our iMiev in over two years :( .) On a couple legs I'm pushing the range a little, so I really want to have 100% charge before embarking on the next leg. I've always heard we can charge from 0-80% in 20 minutes on the QC. But, about how long is it to go from 80-100% on a QC? I assume it is still faster than the max 3.3kw update on a level 2, but does anyone have some details?

Thanks - Dan
I have DC Quick Charged a few times to 100%. Charging the remaining 20% using a Level 3 DC Quick Charger is definitely faster than charging at Level 2. Most of the time the DC Quick Charger shuts off at 80% and I have to restart it. Also, the DC Quick Charger has always stopped before reaching 100%.
Here is a CaniOn screen showing a DC Quick Charge I did from 30% to 97%. You can see where the DC Quick Charger shut off at 80% and I had to restart it.

ANeNmGU.png

Charging from 30% to 80% took about 20 minutes.
Charging from 80% to 97% took about another 36 minutes.

Once you get the hang of DC Quick Charging its fast and easy.
Hope you have an enjoyable and safe trip.

jjlink said:
You don't want to QC to 100% because it gets the battery pack to hot and puts too much stress on it. When I Quick Charged my i-MiEV each time the cars cooling fans came on and ran during the charge to 80%.

I DON'T AGREE. I always make a second charge if a sensor is above 31 ºC, and then it goes almost to 100% SoC. I do it because what I see is TEMPERATURES GOING DOWN in the second charge.

You can see it in one of my videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx8UhXyT4Vc

SOC going up and temperatures going down.

jjlink said:
Actually, the i-MiEV's air conditioner comes on and blows cold air through the battery pack during DC Quick Charge. The air conditioner usually shuts off before 80%, but the battery pack fan continues to run. During the charging session that I showed, charging from 80% to 97% raised my average battery pack temperature from 26.5 degrees Celsius to 27.2 degrees Celsius, less than one degree.

Not sure about Level 2, but charging overnight on Level 1 will maintain the battery temperature and not let it cool. During our hot spell a few weeks ago, my battery was sitting at 93 degrees F (via OVMS) if I let the car sit until about 10 PM before charging. The battery barely cooled by morning. But, if I charged it so that it was done by midnight, the battery was much cooler by morning, even though it sat at 100% the whole time. So were the electronics.

Parking on concrete that baked in the sun all day does a wonderful job of keeping the car hot. :roll:

There is quite a bit of regen fade when the motor is over 110 degrees, since the inverter is also at least this hot (the cooling system can take heat from the motor and heat the converter and inverter). The i-MiEV is best at 70 degrees.

jjlink said:
What temp does the battery pack when charging at Level 2 for comparison. Thanks

To answer that question, I made another video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkB2TG-gsvU

From 34% to 96% - 13,0 ºC to 19,6 ºC.

jjlink said:
CHAdeMO protocol does not allow you to QC after reaching 82% of SOC. It took another hour to charge to 100%, amperage going down minute after minute. It's faster than L2 but still not even close to the 0-82% QC current.

Zelenec said:
CHAdeMO protocol does not allow you to QC after reaching 82% of SOC. It took another hour to charge to 100%, amperage going down minute after minute. It's faster than L2 but still not even close to the 0-82% QC current.
The new Nissan DC Quick Chargers will charge to 100% without stopping at 80%.
I charged from 80% to 97% in about 36 minutes, not an hour. See the CaniOn screen from my earlier post.

RobertC said:
Zelenec said:
The new Nissan DC Quick Chargers will charge to 100% without stopping at 80%.
I charged from 80% to 97% in about 36 minutes, not an hour. See the CaniOn screen from my earlier post.
It's maybe a little faster than average but still not like QC regarding amperage in last part of charging. If you'd continue with charging until 100% is reached, you'd wait for more than 20 minutes so altogether about an hour. It's the same every time I quick charge: 28 minutes from empty to 82%, another half an hour 82-97% and another half an hour to top it till 100% SOC is reached. The last part goes slow just like L2 or L1 in NA at home.

It doesn't really matter if the QC stops at 80% or not, only the weaker current during time is important so at some point it meets regular L2 charging speed and later, close to 100%, even L1 charging speed. After those meeting points charging is no more faster then home charging.

I did a dry run of the QC charger in Harrisburg, PA here:

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/45251

It worked well, taking me from 6 bars to 14 bars in about 20 minutes. It was pretty cool :) .

Since it cost $1/5min, I didn't want to try and get to 100%, so I left at that point. But, I'd like to know if that's possible with those.

Does anyone know, is that a feature of the QC, you MUST stop at 82% as Zelenec says, and if you want to go to 100% you have to find a L2 (or L1) charger to take you to 100%?

If so, I just have to adjust my range expectations accordingly.

danpatgal said:
Does anyone know, is that a feature of the QC, you MUST stop at 82% as Zelenec says, and if you want to go to 100% you have to find a L2 (or L1) charger to take you to 100%?
I think it depends on the Quick Charger. I'm nearly certain the Eaton units (Sheetz) stop at 80%, and either pressing start again or unplugging and plugging back in will allow you to go either near or to 100%. Other units like the Fuji Electric units go straight to 100% and take around an hour.

I've never heard of a QC that wouldn't go past 80%. RobertC has taken his to 97% on a quick charger.

PV1 said:
I've never heard of a QC that wouldn't go past 80%. RobertC has taken his to 97% on a quick charger.

The Blink Network CHAdeMO stations used to allow 100%, but now stop at 80% (sometimes 82%) even if you select the 100% option in the startup menu! I'm confident this is due to complaints about LEAF drivers "camping out" to hit 100%, but Car Charging Group didn't actually announce this policy or change the menu screen! I've been unwilling to waste $5 to find out if a second session will go past 80%.
BTW- several Blink QC stations in my area have been rendered useless by smashing the touch screen. (Possibly by enfuriated EV drivers, but probly just some punk kid. :roll: ) The unit will recognize your card swipe and car but shut down again after it receives no input from the touch screen menu! I've asked them to initiate an 80% charge by default any time a card is swiped and the car's 'handshake' is completed, even with no further input.

Back