Don
Site Moderator

Re: How many miles should first bar last on low mile battery

Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:48 am

Mitsubishi's idea of a battery warranty is replacing the pack when/if it gets a bad cell or two - Anything else is 'normal wear and tear' - They warn you upfront that a loss of 15 to 20% of capacity is 'normal'

Unless your pack is determined to have bad cells (and the usual first indication of that is it refuses to recharge to 16 bars) I'll be surprised if they offer you a replacement battery

I'm guessing the fact that they no longer opt to do battery checks at the one and two year service points is . . . . they already know as much as they need to know about the technology of this battery and they don't want to alarm owners that their battery is indeed deteriorating as it's pretty much guaranteed to do, hence we get no printed 'condition reports' to track the capacity loss which might get some folks demanding new batteries

But . . . . your dealer experience with your NOS (new, old stock) iMiEV will surely be of interest to us all, as many of us are now driving the same thing - A car which sat somewhere for a year or so with no one knowledgeable around to take care of the battery packs

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

Jiminy
Gold Member

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:46 am

The service writer left voicemail that they downloaded a bunch of stuff from the car and were passing it on to Mitsubishi HQ in California to figure out what's next. He didn't allude to finding anything conclusive.

One noteworthy thing from yesterday was that the overnight Level 2 charge didn't yield a full 16 bars yesterday morning. This is after 7 discharges down to two bars and then full overnight Level 2 recharges.

Jim
2012 iMiEV SE
2011 Nissan Leaf SV
27 Schott 240's feeding them

Jiminy
Gold Member

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:35 am

One other tidbit the iMiEV tech told me was that if I needed a new battery it would come from Georgia, not Japan.
2012 iMiEV SE
2011 Nissan Leaf SV

Malm

Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Jiminy. You need to see your cells with canion. With canion we will see if your problem his about one or two cells or is about general degradation of your battery. Mine, with two years and 7 months (more then 35000 miles) just charges to 95,5% (but will change to 90,5% if temperatures rise significantly after charging, and then it gives me just 15 bars). Mine balances very well cells at 80%, 70%, 60%. In both cases, Mitsubishi should give you a new one, because if the battery was sold as new, never should be that way. Your I-MiEV just charges to 96% like mine, but mine has more then two years.
Riding an i-Miev since 4/2011 in Portugal, 100.000 kms.

Jiminy
Gold Member

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:33 pm

I bought the STN1170 OBD-II Adapter this morning and am trying to narrow down which Android device to buy to run Canion. I will likely get the lowest Tab 3 since I don't really need one for anything else. I hope to get some good numbers maybe next week.

My dealer let me know that Mitsubishi received all of the info they need to make a call on the battery. I'm going to pick the car up in a few minutes and drive it until they need it again. -Jim
2012 iMiEV SE
2011 Nissan Leaf SV

Jiminy
Gold Member

Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:24 am

Mitsubishi HQ in California is still waiting on an answer from HQ in Japan on what to do about my battery pack.

I received my STN1170 diagnostic adapter in the mail yesterday (super fast delivery, BTW) and bought a Nexus 7 tablet. I loaded Canion, went out to the car, paired the adapter to the tablet and took a looksee at the battery. I don't know how to take or transfer a screenshot from the Nexus to my windows desktop but I'll get some help this evening when a family member more experienced in Android devices arrives for the Thanksgiving holiday. I did take pictures with my camera.

I can tell you that cell number 82 is much lower than all of the rest. When I accelerate, the graphical display for the cells undulate on the screen in response to my throttle request except cell number 82 which doesn't deviate much at all.

If anyone has any specific requests for data I will do my best to oblige.

Jim
Last edited by Jiminy on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 iMiEV SE
2011 Nissan Leaf SV

Malm

Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:50 am

Mitsubishi should replace that cell. If they can't do it, then give you an entire new pack.
You found the problem, your 82. A new i-MiEV should show all cells at 100% cells at 4,1V. Mine with 2 years and 7 months, at full charge, only show a deviation of 0,01V. Maximum voltage should be 361 V at full charge, mine do it after 54.000 km. You are charging everyday to full charge (should be 100% in a new i-MiEV), and that cell is not approaching to the others, so Mitsubishi has one of two options, give you a new 82 or give you a new pack. You can transfer your image to the PC by e-mail. I would like to see your battery at 100% and at 25% SoC.

Barbagris

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:30 am

Jiminy wrote: I don't know how to take or transfer a screenshot from the Nexus to my windows desktop but I'll get some help this evening when a family member more experienced in Android devices arrives for the Thanksgiving holiday.

When stopped (better, the voltages don't varies), press in the marked area.

You must see a message as "Printscreen OK" or similar. A file named "pict_YYMMDD_HHMMSS.png" is created (i.e. pict_131126_163010.png) and stored.

Connect the Nexus with the PC with the USB cable. First time it delayed a bit, have to load the drivers. In a minute or so you can open your file explorer as usual, and you will see the Nexus as an external unit (as a USB pen). Find the directory "BT_CAN" and copy your pic.

Good luck, and keep us informed!
...learning...

Jiminy
Gold Member

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:49 am

I hooked the Nexus 7 back up and touched the left side bar and got the "Print Screen OK" announcement to show up. I did this several times. I have a Windows 7 machine and cannot for the life of me find the file of the screenshot. There is no directory BT_CAN to be found. Any ideas?

Jim
2012 iMiEV SE
2011 Nissan Leaf SV

Malm

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Send a mail to yourself using the tablet with the screenshots attached. Then open your e-mail in the computer.

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”