Barbagris

Re: How many miles should first bar last on low mile battery

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:11 pm

Mode 1: Cable USB. Is the easiest, I think. Have you done this?
Barbagris wrote:[Connect the Nexus with the PC with the USB cable. First time it delayed a bit, have to load the drivers. In a minute or so you can open your file explorer as usual, and you will see the Nexus as an external unit (as a USB pen). Find the directory "BT_CAN" and copy your pic.

Without cable is possible, also.

Mode 2: email. Configure your mail account (you have a Gmail account, I suppose) in the Nexus, send a email to you with the screenshot attached. Read the email in your PC, with the screenshot attached.

Mode 3: by WiFi. You have to get the app "Airdroid" or similar, and your PC must be in the same LAN than your Nexus. Is a little tricky.

Mode 4: Use Google Drive. Any file can be uploaded to the cloud from any of your devices (Nexus), and read from another (Windows PC).

But with cable there should be no problem...
...learning...

offgridQLD

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:54 pm

I can tell you that cell number 82 is much lower than all of the rest. When I accelerate, the graphical display for the cells undulate on the screen in response to my throttle request except cell number 82 which doesn't deviate much at all.

If anyone has any specific requests for data I will do my best to oblige.

Just telling us things like much lower doesn't mean anything to us. You haven't given us any data at all by saying that. We need numbers. For example (highest cell number 5 = 4.100v ) (lowest cell Number 82 = 3.955v)

So don't worry about the screen grab for now. Just give us the raw numbers that's all that's important . At rest what is the lowers cell voltage and the highest cell voltage.

PS, I don't bother taking screen shots by the time you hook up your tablet to the pc find the file then downloading them on my pc then hosting them online and then linking then to the thread.

Its much quicker and easier just to take a pic of the tablet screen with my iPhone and hit post to flicker (or what ever hosting service you use) and your done.

Kurt

Jiminy
Gold Member

Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:53 pm

The bad cell is .065v lower than the rest.

Unfortunately, I don't currently have a way to host pics outside of my business website. I can't (don't want to) mix my personal stuff with work stuff so I will look for another way.

Jim
2012 iMiEV SE
2011 Nissan Leaf SV
27 Schott 240's feeding them

offgridQLD

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:07 pm

.065v volt isn't fantastic but its nothing that bad. There is a local guy to me with a near new low km Imiev with more cell imbalance than that and his battery is performing fine.

Typically my cells are Balanced 0.000v after a full charge but can stray 0.005 to 0.010v at very low SOC .

I don't think that .065v imbalance is your problem. You need to check again after a full charge and balance.

For web hosing you can just open a free flicker or perhaps photo bucket account. I just opened one for hosting pics on forums and nothing much more.

Kurt

Barbagris

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:27 am

Jiminy wrote:The bad cell is .065v lower than the rest.

Does not sound good ...

When?

And, at the end of the charge and balance, there is the same difference? (all cells should mark 4,100 V)
...learning...

Malm

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:31 am

What is the 82 voltage at a full charge?
Riding an i-Miev since 4/2011 in Portugal, 100.000 kms.

Malm

Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:50 pm

Many should think that i-MiEVs 16 bar would let do less miles as degradation goes on. As I will show that's not true. After 34000 miles and 2 years and 9 months, with the last bar I can do the same miles as ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTHIX7R2lTE
Riding an i-Miev since 4/2011 in Portugal, 100.000 kms.

Jiminy
Gold Member

Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:28 pm

Update: My car's cell number 82 has gotten a little better at full charge but a little worse at 2 bars remaining. I get about 5 miles on the first bar (16th) before it disappears during easy driving. I have an appt to drop the car off tomorrow morning for another Mitsubishi corporate battery test. We'll see. They also had me fill out a questionnaire specific to the iMiEV. I scanned it into a .pdf if anyone is interested.

I have about a thousand miles on my car so far. I drive it a lot. My partner likes it more than our Leaf due to the superior driving position for shorter drivers (higher). Too bad it's mine.

Jim
2012 iMiEV SE
2011 Nissan Leaf SV

Jiminy
Gold Member

Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:40 pm

Well it's been a while since I last posted. In January, Mitsubishi USA had my local dealer drop the battery pack and do a "deep balancing" on the affected cells. They would not allow me to attend. I can say that the battery balances much tighter than before and the former low cell is no longer below the others. The car shows about 90 miles of range fully charged now but in the beginning I never saw more than 60 miles RR on a full charge. I'm pretty happy about it but I still wouldn't recommend buying a 2012 that has been sitting around unless the dealer can show you 90 miles RR on a full charge and/or you can get the car scanned with Canion to see that all cells are pretty even.

as an aside, I no longer fully charge my car on a regular basis. I keep it about 3/4 full and drive it down to 1/2 or 1/4 full and then recharge. I rarely drive more than 30 miles in one day.

I'm so unconcerned with the battery after 2500 miles that I even thought about selling my Canion loaded Nexus 7 and BT OBD2 module. I just don't use it anymore.

Jim
2012 iMiEV SE
2011 Nissan Leaf SV

offgridQLD

Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:34 pm

If the cells were way out of balance my thinking is doing a charge to 100% more often would be benefishial for keeping your battery pack from going out extreamly out of balance again.

I'm not saying always charge to 100% but going to much the other extream you pack would never have a chance to top balance. Most likely you pack was so unbalanced it needed manual cell level balancing by the service center.

Personally I charge to full once a week minimum.

All cells balance to 0.000v granted the resolution of canion is 0.005volts.

Good to see you had you issue resolved.

Kurt

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”