kiev

Re: my Miev will not charge

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:59 pm

@Pluto, What's the age and condition of your 12 volt aux battery, is the electrolyte water level low, is there any corrosion on the terminals, etc?

A weak old or worn out Aux battery can create a multitude of issues with these cars.

A broken charger wouldn't heal itself, but a flaky aux battery could produce the symptoms you have experienced.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

pluto

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:14 pm

As far as I know the 12V battery is original; I took it to a local (non-EV) shop last week and they tested it under load and told me it was 87% good. I can't really see the electrolyte level through the casing.

kiev

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:27 am

Original = 2012, being 6 or 7 years old the aux battery has exceeded it's life. A lead acid battery has to be tested under load to see how much the voltage sags. The resting voltage doesn't indicate the condition of a battery.

pluto

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:17 am

Right, like I said they tested it under load and it had a grade of 87% which they deemed to be good. I have no idea if the battery is actually original as I've only had the car two years.

jray3

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:02 pm

All this talk of failing 12V batteries made me check. I thought mine needed water, but that was just the shadow of the lead plates, the water level was still higher than ideal, and I last watered last summer. :roll: It did spit some electrolyte as a result of the last over-watering, and the hold-down bolt really showed its poor quality plating.

So I load tested, and my 40 degree cold-soaked May 2012 (or earlier) starting battery with over 83,000 miles and a number of jumper-cable roasting jump starts to its credit is still putting out 215 amps for 15+ seconds before my pile tester goes into thermal limit and screams for mercy, all while saggin no lower than 12.0 Volts. (DC-DC still connected, but that's only 60 A, IIRC)

Charge On!
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 96,000 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

luvmymiev

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:31 pm

I thought I would reach out here. Last month my 12v battery died. I replaced it and continued on. Not even a week later my car would not charge. It would start and go, but error lights came on and none of my 3 EVSE chargers would work. I brought it to the dealer who discovered a blown on board charger fuse. They replaced that and it immediately blew again. Now they want $4000 plus labor to replace the charger. With 70,000 miles on my car, if it was in good shape (it is a wreck) it wouldn't be worth it. I bought it new and hate to think of this car as a throw away. Is there a source for a used charger? Can I add a DCQC and a portable DC charger and charge that way (I have a cold weather package)? Any other insight?

mikedufty

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:07 am

I also am having charger issues.

2010 Australian model with 50,000km.
Showed a couple of odd symptoms - seemed to be less than fully charged a couple of times over a week or so, then wouldn't charge.
Low voltage (battery shaped light) and high voltage (!) warning lights on dash.
Car still drives fine, 12v battery seemed to have a good charge.

I took it to local Mitsubishi dealer who said the charger will need replacing ($4000) but that our charger was recently replaced in a recall, and they might be able to do it under warranty. 2 months and a few phone calls to Mitsubishi Australia later, and they have agreed to replace it under warranty. Now waiting another 2 months for the part to come from Japan and be fitted - car broke in early May and estimated fix is in early August.

kiev

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:04 am

Howdy Mike, if you get any information or details about the charger recall, please post it up here.

mikedufty

Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:43 am

This is what the service reciept says:

Carry out work as per campaign bulletin
MIR9481A092 Charger, EV battery Kit

10MY 1-Miev ON BOARD CHARGER/DC-DC CONVERTER Misc :RND 1 & 2 c rounding 0.02

Actually the reciept doesn't make much sense to me, I've attached a photo of it.

I think this is something that came up on their system when we brought it in for the ECU, rust on battery frame, vacuum pump, recalls that we were notified about, we had no notification for this one.

I can't find anything about that recall online, and if I enter my VIN into the official mitsubishi page to search for recalls it just says invalid VIN.

kiev

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:28 am

What VIN is listed on the plate in your car--sometimes they transpose digits when reading on the car and writing the service order.

using a vin decoder i got this info, which seems half-correct

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lo ... 3WAU003565

Return to “General Technical Discussions”