mikedufty

Re: my Miev will not charge

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:25 pm

We may be nearing a resolution for ours. Paceway Mitsubishi say they have narrowed down the issue to a wiring concern, have performed a dummy fix and seems to be all good, but still another few weeks wait for the proper replacement parts.

redcane

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Sounds promising Mike.

I'm again pondering which way the causal relation goes - did the wiring problem cause a fault elsewhere? Or is it a bit of a coincidence.

mikedufty

Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:04 pm

They said they can give me some more detail next week. Not sure if it will answer that question though. Would be good to know exactly what the wiring issue was so others with problems can check it.

jray3

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:01 am

redcane wrote:I don't think it is the main drive fuse itself - 280A 300V is a lot of power to not notice the smoke come out somewhere.]

I agree it would be unlikely for the main drive fuse to blow from what you've described, but a quality 300 amp fuse could easily blow without anything being noticeable beyond the loss of power.

I had an EV conversion in a commercial fleet, and the newby driver got stranded when "seeing what it could do" up our longest, tallest local highway hill. Main pack breaker was good, but a bare metal 400A fusible link within the pack had had opened up only a foot behind the driver's seat, leaving a big smoke stain in the lexan tube that had contained it. Neither the driver nor his passenger recalled hearing or smelling anything...

Personally, I like lexan covers in DIY battery packs. Besides clearly allowing easy inspection, the Lexan will begin to melt, bubble and release a potent acrid smell long before you'd notice a loose terminal or other 'hot spot' via the gauges, but it doesn't burn easily (or sustain a flame- ask how I know!). :twisted:
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 94,000 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

Bjron

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:56 am

Redcane did u try QC relay 12v force measure on Chademo port? I get relay click and switch to closed. Measured it closed. But no voltage on chademo. I have same code p1a15 its not going to ready mode.

Do u have any new for tell from this week?

redcane

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:19 am

Yes, we get pack voltage on the chademo port when forcing the QC contactors to close.

Given you have no voltage on chademo port, and a failure to go ready, the only shared circuitry is in the battery pack. There is the main 280A high voltage fuse, and the service plug. Then there are all the cells.

Have you used an app like canion to read cell voltage information?

Return to “General Technical Discussions”