mikedufty

Re: my Miev will not charge

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:44 am

Paceway (Mitsubishi dealer) have now done all their diagnostics and say it points to a problem with the EV-ECU which they want to replace as the next step. They are currently working out whether they want me to pay for that or not.

I'm a bit worried that it is not actually the problem, and will result in another couple of months delay without making any progress, even if I don't need to pay for it.

kiev

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:14 am

mikedufty wrote:...
I'm a bit worried that it is not actually the problem, and will result in another couple of months delay without making any progress, even if I don't need to pay for it.

If the car runs and drives then some pieces of the EV-ECU have to be working, so it is puzzling. Maybe the section that controls charging is bad yet the rest is okay?

i hope they can resolve this for you quickly and you will be able to report the findings.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

mikedufty

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:23 am

Yes, I drove it in there 5 months ago with no problem, but can't confirm if it still drives.
I think someone else had a dealer replace an ECU first when they had a dead charger and it didn't help, so I'm a bit suspicious this is not actually the problem, but they should know better than me.

coulomb

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:07 pm

All we know is "software giving errors". It sounds like a VIN mismatch error to me. We know that old and replacement chargers from some junkyard don't care about VINs, but maybe brand new chargers do.
Presumably, they are following service procedures for your early model vehicle, but I dont know whether those procedures get updated for the latest *replacement* parts.

Them wanting to get a paper manual suggests that they were not completely confident of their procedures. But I'm not sure that paper procedures would be the most up to date.

I share your concerns that the EV ECU won't fix the problem, and that obtaining one could waste a lot of time. Maybe a firmware upgrade for the EV ECU, if such a thing exists, might be quicker and cheaper for all concerned. It might be that the old EV ECU in the vehicle doesn't know how to talk properly to the new OBC. [ Edit: this now seems unlikely, unless the VIN locking is very recent. See next post. ]
But it seems unlikely that it would need new hardware, or that the old hardware has failed and yet could still drive the vehicle months ago.

I have no idea how successful you would be attempting to suggest this to them. If an EV ECU firmware update is possible, surely it would be part of the fault finding procedure. But it would seem worth a try. This might require contacting HQ, but surely that's routine when they are struggling like this.

It goes without saying that it is beyond scandalous that a modern car company can't fix a car after months of time. This sort of thing could set back EV adoption in the country where uptake relative to income is surely the worst in the world.

I hope that despite everything, this is somehow resolved quickly.
Last edited by coulomb on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skylogger

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Mikeduffy:
Just came across this thread and that your car is still at the dealer.
It appears that on the report when you first took your car to the dealer, one of the items listed
is re-programming the EV-ECU. Now it sounds like they want to replace the EV-ECU.
I think the first fault was the Charger, but now they introduced a new fault onto the EV-ECU
when they were re-programming it. Last year, when Chris took his 2010 IMIEV to the dealer,
he had faulty charger, and the dealer tried first replacing the EV-ECU, Then told him he would
ALSO have to replace the charger. He had to pay for the EV-ECU even though it was not the fault.
He got his car back, I was able to fix the charger, and Chris gave me the spare original EV-ECU.
So I currently have this spare EV-ECU, which is probably ok, and I also have one in the wrecked
2010 IMIEV that I am using as a test bed. If you give me a PM with your phone number, maybe
one of these can be used to resolve your problem. Paceway probably would not accept use of
2nd hand parts due to warranty issues, but might use one in a temporary swap out for trouble
shooting. In regards to firmware revisions, Just recently, another AEVA member Paul, replaced
his charger with a brand new one he had shipped from Japan. There was no VIN locking issues
with the charger, and it was fully compatable with the old original firmware in his original
EV-ECU.

REDCANE:
i Had a case where I tried starting a car with the service plug removed (by someone else previously working on the car) and getting the exclamation error and not going the READY. Then putting the plug back in, and trying to start the car, and car went to READY with no errors.
So in my case, the error codes were not permanently stored and did not prevent the car from going to READY once the service plug was put back in. I also had a case where I had the charger completely removed from the car, and temporarily tried to start the car, and it WOULD go to READY, even with errors from not having the charger in the car. Of coarse I had the errors of the 12v aux not charging, and could not leave it in this condition due to coolant fluid open tubes, but I was able to prove that not having a charger would not prevent the car from going to READY state. To me, it sounds like some other new fault has been introduced. Make sure that even with the service plug put back in, that the swing leaver on it is completely pressed down, as there is a sensor in this that will keep the car from going to ready if the sensor swith in the service plug is not fully activated. I think to go farther, you really need access to a MUT III, or get a dealer to run a scan on your car to see what the new fault actually is before you can go forward.
Last edited by skylogger on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikedufty

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:43 pm

Well my wife has vowed not to get an EV again until they are commonplace. Hopefully that is not too far away.
Part of our delay was due to the part number of the charger being changed, which supports the idea that maybe the new charger is different. Maybe it does need a new ev-ecu to go with it.

They should be able to find that out from Mitsubishi though, since the solution to VIN locking would seem to be to take it to them ( a dealer).

coulomb

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:11 pm

mikedufty wrote:Well my wife has vowed not to get an EV again until they are commonplace.

Totally understandable, but really bad for EV adoption in Australia. Though it sounds like dealers in the USA aren't necessarily much better.

Hopefully that is not too far away.

Oh joyful day when that happens.

Part of our delay was due to the part number of the charger being changed...

Surely this sort of thing happens to car parts all the time, from window winders to turbo charger fans. I was at Suzi Auto recently with my Japanese but non-Suzuki car, and lamented about an error code. He looked it up and offered to get me the likely part. I said sure, go ahead, I'll pick it up next time I visit. Nah, it will be here in 10 minutes. Do you want a cup of coffee while you wait? Sure enough, in 10-15 minutes, a guy in a high-viz shirt turns up with the part. Sure, it cost 5x what it looks like it should cost, but we have come to expect that for car parts. Meanwhile, Mistubishi are saying "oh damn! We've missed the backstroking sloth; we'll have to wait for his next swim!". Someone should make a comedy movie about Mitsubishi dealers and EVs.

skylogger

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:40 pm

MIKEDUFFY:
I just took the EV-ECU that came from Chris's IMIEV and swapped it with the one in the Wrecked IMIEV Testbed.
It started in READY No problems, then took it for a short drive, then put in on charge just to make sure no errors
came up while in charge mode. All worked great, never even came across a VIN Lock problem.
I thought I read somewhere that the EV-ECU was one of the VIN locked parts, but now I think this proably may
not be the case for 2010 IMIEV and probably only got introduced later like 2012.
So these spare EV-ECUs can be used for trouble shooting if you require one.
Both EV-ECUs have part number 9499A182 printed on them One has a code VOT90771 H3 while the other has a code VOT90771 H4 printed on them also, which may be a hardware or software revision marking at time of manufacturer.

mikedufty

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:48 pm

Just got a response from Paceway that they can try it, "BUT can’t take any responsibility if it crashes or something as it is not a new unit."

I will get in touch about picking it up.

mikedufty

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:59 pm

Swapping the EV-ECU did not fix the problem. Not sure what to do next.

Return to “General Technical Discussions”